Lounge Lizard 4!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:Considering how many of us were clamouring for it (and other midi performance basics) for Chromaphone you'd think they should know better by now
Yes, like MIDI Learn… :bang:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

DocAtlas wrote:How recently? I couldn't find anything about it on the AAS website. I picked up Lounge Lizard 3 this past March.
I acquired the mine on Black Friday Sales. BTW, After receiving the link to download v4, some hours after I received a link to buy it :nutter:

olepro wrote:
electro wrote:Any improvements from V3 sound engine?
No
The news is better effects and new patches based on the new effects.
They say nothing about the engine, so this must remain unchanged.

It looks nice though.
I would be very suprised if V3 and V4 were identical! The real test of an instrument like this is the core physical model, effects are peripheral.

Similar EP territory is covered by Pianoteq Rhody R2, Mokafix Bluereeds, GSI MrRay and the new Arturia Wurlitzer V.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

At the resolution I run, you need a magnifying glass to see this plug! Sounds great though, cant realy complain as I got a free update...

electro wrote:
olepro wrote:
No

It looks nice though.
I would be very suprised if V3 and V4 were identical! The real test of an instrument like this is the core physical model, effects are peripheral.

Similar EP territory is covered by Pianoteq Rhody R2, Mokafix Bluereeds, GSI MrRay and the new Arturia Wurlitzer V.
In the limited time I've had LL v4 I compared it with LL v3 and I think I prefer v3. v4 patches sound slightly too clean compared to v3. I need to check again because I had been working with audio quite a bit yesterday so my ears might have been sensitive but patch for patch v3 suited me more. The v4 sound is possibly of a higher quality but v3 seems to have more character - a bit dirtier which is more to my liking. Comparing patches from each is not an exact science because there might be slight differences in programming the patches.

I thought there would be a big improvement in sound in v4 comparable to the effect of adding XILS Lab LX122. LL v3 and LX122 are my favourite combination - I thought LL v4 would have some of that magic all on its own now. I'll do some more testing.

The upgrade price of $29 is an incredible deal and both versions can exist side by side so imo it's a no brainer.
Last edited by munchkin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevWestBeats wrote:
Torchlight wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:
audiosabre wrote:
KevWestBeats wrote:I am glad its not a paid update
Don't get peoples' hopes up now :uhuhuh: :hihi:

Upgrade for Lounge Lizard EP-1, EP-2 & EP-3 users is $39

Lounge Lizard Session users pay a $99 upgrade
true I meant for the full version but to be honest I think Session is better than the full version in a lot of ways.
How is it better?
mostly preference. the interface is a lot simpler just what you need without the extras. i mean the extras are great if it sounded like an authentic Electric piano but imo it never did and its a very interesting synth in that respect.
with all these opinions that you have KevWestBeats... can you even play "happy birthday" or "mary had a little lamb" or "anything" on the keys?

so, your opinions come from what perspective? you keep starting threads about different products and stating your opinions like you have "real" knowledge of playing an instrument... but cant play a note... how is that? could you please explain... do you know how to play a 9th or 13th chord in a musical context? how about inversions, do you know what an inversion is? how about voice leading? how about scales/modes?

i would just want to know where your opinions come from? because you have no playing abilities!!!

one thing i do give you credit for... you know how to "compress" some drums!!!

p.s. do not be upset... this is a legit/honest question... from what perspective do you opinions come from?

The demo version is just ridiculous! :x
It times out every couple of seconds... can't play anything, it just keeps ruining the moment.

3ee wrote:The demo version is just ridiculous! :x
It times out every couple of seconds... can't play anything, it just keeps ruining the moment.
That's unfortunate, bad demos probably lose a lot of sales, it's a great plugin and for $29 I would ignore the demo issues, go by the audio samples for sound and just see if the interface works for you, that it is stable in your DAW. In that sense you probably can get enough from the demo to make a decision.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

munchkin wrote:
electro wrote:
olepro wrote:
No

It looks nice though.

In the limited time I've had LL v4 I compared it with LL v3 and I think I prefer v3. v4 patches sound slightly too clean compared to v3. I need to check again because I had been working with audio quite a bit yesterday so my ears might have been sensitive but patch for patch v3 suited me more. The v4 sound is possibly of a higher quality but v3 seems to have more character - a bit dirtier which is more to my liking. Comparing patches from each is not an exact science because there might be slight differences in programming the patches.

I thought there would be a big improvement in sound in v4 comparable to the effect of adding XILS Lab LX122. LL v3 and LX122 are my favourite combination - I thought LL v4 would have some of that magic all on its own now. I'll do some more testing.

The upgrade price of $29 is an incredible deal and both versions can exist side by side so imo it's a no brainer.
I confirm that early impression of something perhaps a bit too clean compared to EP-3 at a first glance
EP-3 has a fantastic sound design palette even if it might not always be such accurate emulations

I dunno, it sounds nice and dirty to me, I love the new effect section, I'm getting great sounds from this version. I don't have v3 installed anymore so I can't directly compare, but what I am hearing is wonderful.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Sounds like I'll give this one a pass.

braj wrote:I dunno, it sounds nice and dirty to me, I love the new effect section, I'm getting great sounds from this version. I don't have v3 installed anymore so I can't directly compare, but what I am hearing is wonderful.
+1 on that! I'm very fond of LL and version 4 suits me even better than LL3. It has that special quality of just inviting noodling and playing and to me it's a great composing tool because of this. Upgrading was a no-brainer for me.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
braj wrote:I dunno, it sounds nice and dirty to me, I love the new effect section, I'm getting great sounds from this version. I don't have v3 installed anymore so I can't directly compare, but what I am hearing is wonderful.
+1 on that! I'm very fond of LL and version 4 suits me even better than LL3. It has that special quality of just inviting noodling and playing and to me it's a great composing tool because of this. Upgrading was a no-brainer for me.

/Joachim
Totally, I don't know what VST has a better playable 'feel' than Lounge Lizard. It and String Studio are so expressive (when is that one getting a revision update?).

braj wrote:
3ee wrote:The demo version is just ridiculous! :x
That's unfortunate, bad demos probably lose a lot of sales, it's a great plugin and for $29 I would ignore the demo issues, go by the audio samples for sound and just see if the interface works for you, that it is stable in your DAW. In that sense you probably can get enough from the demo to make a decision.
I don't have previous versions so looks like it's $199 new.
For that amount, I prefer to spend few weeks tweaking a patch in my fave wireless modular synth :D

Anyone who's serious about keyboard instruments (especially virtual ones) knows that it's about the "feel" ... I can listen to audio demos all day and they can sound great, but in a fair number of cases, the instruments won't feel like the real thing...

I always found Lounge Lizard interesting but hmm... I'll see what I can do ;)

So while I'm a little stoked, I have to agree the interface is small, and I think it should be bigger but they could have at least used the available space better. One big thing is the new patch browser is really nice when you click 'manage' and they could have just given one button at the top of the interface to open it, remove the redundant drop menu navigation and move all the controls under the logo to the side, as well as adjusting the meter and volume position. This would allow more space in each view. With touch tablets coming online I can't see how this was a wise design decision. In fact, if I were a VST developer I would be coding all my new plugins with two interface choices, windowed or full screen touch modes.

Return to “Instruments”