Anyone purchase or use all the AAS plugs? Are they worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never hear too much about them... anyone use them and would you recommend their bundle?

AAS wrote a number of the instruments in Live Suite: Analog, Collision, Electric and Tension, which are roughly equivalent to Ultra Analog, Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard and String Studio in that order. There is also Tassman, which is similar in concept to NI's Reaktor.

They are good instruments. Ultra Analog has perhaps been superseded by recent developments in VA synths, but it's a good workhorse.

In general, if you like physically modelled instruments, these are as good as any. Tassman's downside is that the library of readymade instruments is far smaller than that available for Reaktor.

recently upgraded to their full modeling collection and yes, i use them all and i like them all. they use a lot of common ground, but each one has it's own strenghts and the sound quality is great. imagine how may years Tassman 4 is on the market now.
"It dreamed itself along"

I use Lounge Lizard and Ultra Analog and like both. I have GS-1 too, but haven't used it yet.

I like the live instruments that are NOT VA, but, I really only use operator with any degree of regularity. That said, this means also that I don't much care for the filters in operator and tend not to use them. I have ultra-analog, which I never ever use. As a bundle, I think that the Arturia bundle is more useful and I really like the electric piano in that set.

tdm71 wrote:Never hear too much about them... anyone use them and would you recommend their bundle?
Ultra Analog is a great fat synth, got a warm nice tone to it.

It regularly shows up for less than $40 used in the KVR sales forum, so anyone interested should keep an eye on that subforum for a possible great bargain :wink:

I think all of the AAS instruments are solid offerings.

String Studio has some of the best plucks, and interesting effects when pushed. See the Entangled Species bank

Ultra Analog is Sweet, reasonable CPU friendly, lot's to like The Alyn Zahev bank is a great set of resources

Strum Acoustic And Strum Electric have good sound quality and great strum scripts, easy to use.

Tassman is vast the Electric Toolkit by Himalaya is a huge resource. Some of the instruments can be pretty CPU hungry.

Lounge Lizard is one of the most responsive virtual instruments that I own. Edit: I just upgraded to LL4 and am very pleased, it remains responsive and the effects have been upgraded.

Alot to like.

Chromaphone and the new LL4 are the only ones of the bunch that are 64 bit. The others arent' going to be upgraded to 64 bit. But They all work with the lastest OS's.

Note: although String Studio VS-1 & Ultra Analog won't be upgraded they may make version 2's, which I'd buy for sure. This stuff just works, so they are a worthy addition to the sound palette.
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

They're all good stuff, considering the sounds they produce. The GUIs, on the other hand, need some work. But these synths definitely have nice sounds.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Ultra Analog has a distinct sound of its own and I like it a lot. ( + Th effects have a special touch too )

Not only because the 260 presets soundbank we made for it with Peter is currently our bestseller, with hundreds of happy users : Nec + Ultra ...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I like String Studio and Chromaphone a lot.
I simply like these kinds of sounds best, so that's why I think they're the best for the plucked strings, bells, percs, and such.

I owned Tassman4 and UltraAnalogue but didn't like them for certain reasons.
I thought Tassman was good, but too difficult to work with in building synths, and the routing was too confusing. Sounds are good, but for doing your own sounds it's a lot of work if you want to build your own synths...and I did.
The sequencer module is one of my favorites of any synth though.
Ultra Analogue has a poor gui with the knobs being too small, the sound was pretty good, but it didn't blow me away. Good for basic stuff though.

I love the way they all the plugins sound, they are capable of both "realistic" instrument recreations and wacky noise.

As others mentioned the GUI and Preset handling can be less than ideal. The Tassman Builder is poorly designed but if you wrap your head around it there are fabulous sounds to be made.

Try the demos and see if/how you like them. AAS usually has good holiday bundle pricing. Buy them for what they do now, rather than what you want them to do someday...new feature updates are usually very slow in coming.

Gorgeous sound... unique set of tools... some of the best plug-ins you can buy

I know nothing about electric keyboards, and iv'e just started learning to play a keyboard, but i auditioned a couple of electric keyboard emulations (both sampled and synthesized) and i have to say that i ended up with Lounge Lizard. I son't know any technical way to explain why, but it has such a magical sound to my ears, it simply sounds beautiful and better then all the other emulations i've ever heard - so LL is definitely the go-to virtual electric piano.

pdxindy wrote:Gorgeous sound... unique set of tools... some of the best plug-ins you can buy
+1
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Seems like most people like certain instruments... Is the entire collection worth it though?

Return to “Instruments”