Real Instrument Sounds In Omnisphere

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

osiris wrote:I use the Stars on the side of the preset browser. It's so easy to lose a good sound.
add to that, re-saving in user directory or using the project grouping thing

In a lot of the demo/NAAM videos Eric always says something like, "and we thought how cool would that be." So that is their litmus-test. I don't think adding more "real" instruments fits that for them even though it would certainly be useful.

The coolest thing I can think that they would think is cool is being able to use Omni/Trillian sounds in Stylus.
Last edited by gremlinmoon on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnalogGuy1 wrote:That would be very useful for those of us who live-play and want a rig as simple as possible. Mine right now has Kontakt, Omni, Massive, Pianoteq, Zebra, and VB3. Give me an excuse to simplify that by one or two.
I don't want to give you an excuse, because you have a really good live setup right there. I doubt any Omni sample expansion could top VB3 in what it does, or top Pianoteq in what it does, or any other of the listed synths you mentioned, as Omni doesn't do wavetables like Zebra and Massive, to my knowledge.

You're missing Alchemy, though. :P

djanthonyw wrote:I find Eric's statement amusing considering there are very few options that work like traditional romplers in the plugin world. Basically there is only one quality option that's available and that is Hypersonic / HalionSonic. So to claim that it's already been done, or not worth while to include traditional instruments is a poor excuse. This is the main reason why I sold Omnisphere, I would probably get it again at some point if it was more of a rompler, because we definitely need more high quality options that fill this role.
I think he meant hardware. Remember he was at Roland for years, doing sound design for many many of their synths/workstations.

rsp

I'm seeing both sides of the coin here.

There are people who want Omnisphere to not add any more real instrument sounds, they want it to stay "experimental" or "unique" or "different".

The way I feel is, adding many more real instrument sound-sources (and possibly patches), would greatly increase these experimental possibilities. There is so much you could do with, for example, a good acoustic piano sound and the omnisphere synth engine. It boggles the mind.

As has been stated, Eric said he's interested in creating new sounds and is not so interested in the "traditional" sounds. But imagine what you could twist and turn these "traditional" sounds into!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Trancit wrote:...To tell people, if you want more use something else, because it already exists is imho both: silly (regarding the buisness I loose) and bad treating of customers...
it really isn't....have you complained to other software synth designers that their instruments don't cover everyone's needs ?? i mean i'd buy predator , but not until rob gives me a convincing harpsichord and useable, 'real' choir :)
Daan22 wrote:
Trancit wrote:And sorry to say this: To tell people, if you want more use something else, because it already exists is imho both: silly (regarding the buisness I loose) and bad treating of customers...

If something alredy exists of course there can be reasons why a company isn't going to offer the same product. To call those silly, without knowing them, or link it to "bad treating of customers" is...silly

No offense here and I didn't intend to say they are silly, if they don't cover everybody's needs...
If I buy a pure synth, first (mostly) I can demo it and second, I wouldn't expect authentic sounding acoustic instruments or real choirs...
There is no demo of Omnisphere and deciding purely from the demo vids, which sound range is covered or not is quite hard to do...

From their website:
Omnisphere is our new flagship synthesizer, and points the way to all our future virtual instruments. We are thrilled to offer a new product that will have a host of expansion capabilities in the future...

...SOUND LIBRARY

Vast Core Library - over 40GB with thousands of sounds
Cutting-edge sounds from the renowned Spectrasonics sound design team
Innovative "Psychoacoustic" soundsources for organic synthesis!
Unique multisampled "Composite Morphing™ soundsources
Integrates the award-winning, original Atmosphere® core library
Integrates best of Spectrasonics highly-acclaimed sample libraries
Massive variety of inspiring sounds for all types of music production
Searchable by sound attributes (Timbre, Genre, Mood, Tonality, Source, etc)
Expandable sound architecture
No word here about having a sound library, which is quite limited regarding different music styles...

But often I find "Expansion"..."expandable"...

Where are these expansions???? When was it expanded??? Afaik, it was expanded exactly one time: the moog expansion...

If I buy an instrument, which is promoted like this (no demo and often pointed out "Expansion" and "Expandable") and pay a lot of money for a single instrument... I would expect a little bit more than hearing something like, we have no interest in something like that... there are others already out there... go and spend more money to have access to them...

Perhaps I am completely wrong here, but that's how I feel/think about this...
Last edited by Trancit on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daExpert wrote:I'm seeing both sides of the coin here.

There are people who want Omnisphere to not add any more real instrument sounds, they want it to stay "experimental" or "unique" or "different".

The way I feel is, adding many more real instrument sound-sources (and possibly patches), would greatly increase these experimental possibilities. There is so much you could do with, for example, a good acoustic piano sound and the omnisphere synth engine. It boggles the mind.

As has been stated, Eric said he's interested in creating new sounds and is not so interested in the "traditional" sounds. But imagine what you could twist and turn these "traditional" sounds into!
and some of us don't want to add another 30gig just to get a decent piano patch for others to mangel :)

besides, i think 'alchemy' is a better option for sample mangling....though omnisphere is a great all round instrument, once the library and sound design has been removed, there's nothing particularly 'standout' ....i know that if omnisphere were just it's engine without the library and presets i'd have no interest in it, deferring to much more powerful synths with (for me) better workflow

the experimental nature of spectrasonics sound design happens before anyone even sets up a mic....the burning piano isn't a normal piano put through omnisphere and engineered to sound like it was on fire...any sampler could have a burning piano patch, but we get it in omnisphere because that's the vehicle eric, diego et al bestow upon us their beauty and madness

currently, alchemy does everything you wish...sample input, sfz playback, 4 sound sources, excellent arp and sequencer and great granular goodness

Speculating:

How many GB of traditional instruments does Spectrasonics have laying around in older formats? It could be a no-brainer to dole them out with each new major update with no outside expenditure for sampling.

OT speculating:

When Glenn O announced an update for Crystal on GS I wrote (jokingly) shouldn't he be working on an additive and spectral engine for Omni and he responded, "don't worry, we are working on something really cool!"

In the early days of the Alchemy vs Omni threads Eric did comment to CA that they did great work. Is it possible that Spectrasonics would license the Camel Audio additive and spectral engines?

daExpert wrote:I'm seeing both sides of the coin here.

currently, alchemy does everything you wish...sample input, sfz playback, 4 sound sources, excellent arp and sequencer and great granular goodness
Alchemy is indeed very powerful, but to my ears, the sound character is very different from omnisphere. Of course, it can input any SFZ or wave-form but to get the quality of sounds that the omnisphere library offers might be a challenge.

gremlinmoon wrote:Speculating:

How many GB of traditional instruments does Spectrasonics have laying around in older formats? It could be a no-brainer to dole them out with each new major update with no outside expenditure for sampling.

OT speculating:

When Glenn O announced an update for Crystal on GS I wrote (jokingly) shouldn't he be working on an additive and spectral engine for Omni and he responded, "don't worry, we are working on something really cool!"

In the early days of the Alchemy vs Omni threads Eric did comment to CA that they did great work. Is it possible that Spectrasonics would license the Camel Audio additive and spectral engines?
Yes, I've read they have those large orchestral libraries that they compressed into the SRX cards, as well as the Hanz Zimmer guitars (I think a few were included in omnisphere) and some other stuff as well.

AnalogGuy1 wrote:While I disagree with daExpert's view that Eric should allow direct sampling of Omni's samples in a non-musical work context without any special licensing agreement, I agree with him about wanting to see more real-instrument sounds in Omni, sampled with the care and precision that Eric does. That would be very useful for those of us who live-play and want a rig as simple as possible. Mine right now has Kontakt, Omni, Massive, Pianoteq, Zebra, and VB3. Give me an excuse to simplify that by one or two.
That would be SAG, instead of GAS, and is probably against some forum rule.
(got to support the advertisers, you know :wink: )
Sell amazing gear at your own risk. :)

I'd love another expansion also, but I don't feature paying another $100.00 on top of the almost $500.00 I shelled out in the first place... :shrug:

and some of us don't want to add another 30gig just to get a decent piano patch for others to mangel :)

besides, i think 'alchemy' is a better option for sample mangling....though omnisphere is a great all round instrument, once the library and sound design has been removed, there's nothing particularly 'standout' ....i know that if omnisphere were just it's engine without the library and presets i'd have no interest in it, deferring to much more powerful synths with (for me) better workflow

the experimental nature of spectrasonics sound design happens before anyone even sets up a mic....the burning piano isn't a normal piano put through omnisphere and engineered to sound like it was on fire...any sampler could have a burning piano patch, but we get it in omnisphere because that's the vehicle eric, diego et al bestow upon us their beauty and madness

what he said~
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

the experimental nature of spectrasonics sound design happens before anyone even sets up a mic....the burning piano isn't a normal piano put through omnisphere and engineered to sound like it was on fire...
Uhmm - they really did burn a piano, there was also some pics of how they did it in an old SOS interview. These guys are sampling legends!

The lap steel guitar sound in this track (starting at around 1:41) is from Omnisphere, with almost no additional processing. In fact the whole track is pretty much Omnisphere, apart from the drums, which are from Stylus RMX.

http://soundcloud.com/looneyjetman/the-island-edit

Return to “Instruments”