Real Instrument Sounds In Omnisphere

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find Eric's statement amusing considering there are very few options that work like traditional romplers in the plugin world. Basically there is only one quality option that's available and that is Hypersonic / HalionSonic. So to claim that it's already been done, or not worth while to include traditional instruments is a poor excuse. This is the main reason why I sold Omnisphere, I would probably get it again at some point if it was more of a rompler, because we definitely need more high quality options that fill this role.
You are currently reading my signature.

ben_horwood wrote:zircon,
That may be YOUR desire, but it is not what the OP was referring to in his original post... which was to have more bread-and-butter patches.
I didn't necessarily mean just patches. I meant new acoustic sound-sources, which can be used by the synthesis engine to twist into new amazing things.

djanthonyw wrote:I find Eric's statement amusing considering there are very few options that work like traditional romplers in the plugin world. Basically there is only one quality option that's available and that is Hypersonic / HalionSonic. So to claim that it's already been done, or not worth while to include traditional instruments is a poor excuse. This is the main reason why I sold Omnisphere, I would probably get it again at some point if it was more of a rompler, because we definitely need more high quality options that fill this role.
I agree with much of what you said. There are not very many [subjectively] "good" options for the traditional rompler in the software world. In hardware, you have the yamaha, roland, korg, and kurzweil. But, in software what is there?

There are very powerful samplers, and there are very amazing sample libaries. But these things can't compare to a software like omnisphere with it's cohesive interface and it's synthesis capabilities.

daExpert wrote:
That may be YOUR desire, but it is not what the OP was referring to in his original post... which was to have more bread-and-butter patches.
I didn't necessarily mean just patches. I meant new acoustic sound-sources, which can be used by the synthesis engine to twist into new amazing things.
Ok then, well that is entirely unclear in any of your previous posts. :?

But if you want to go and shift the goal-posts now, AFTER the fact, then go ahead. :shrug:

Edited because of my shitty spelling
Last edited by Ben H on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

gotta love how people are arguing that omni isn't enough of a rompler :hihi:

Dr.Wu wrote:Eric once said that he wants to create instruments that make it to the final mix. Most samples of real instruments only make it to the demo stage of a production just to be replaced by the real thing in the end. Omnisphere always makes it into the final mix at least in my productions-simply because there are no real instruments that could ever replace what it does.
This is becoming less and less true as sophisticated sample libraries are available that can fool the ear if used and mixed carefully (plus there are genres like Hip Hop that have been putting Korg, et. al. ROMpler samples on major label releases forever). Bass is an example apparently Eric did think could make it to the final mix in sampled form since Trilian has many non-synth bass samples.

That said, though, the only big thing I'm missing from Omni is some kind of brass ensemble sound, since it has string ensembles. I honestly think that's kind of a glaring omission. Omni is kind of a hodgepodge but it fits the sound they ultimately ended up with, whether they planned it form the beginning or it just evolved. It has a lot to offer, but it requires (for me) that it be combined with other things, which is fine. I paid less than $400 for it and I don't feel short changed. I love the multi-page interface and all the shaping and sound editing options it gives you.
Last edited by A.M. Gold on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:gotta love how people are arguing that omni isn't enough of a rompler :hihi:
Why? I don't see what's so crazy about wanting that. Please, show me all of the great options that accomplish this and do it well. As I mentioned, I think that Hypersonic / Halion Sonic are really the only decent options. Omnisphere is already setup for this and it works really well, all that's needed is for the sounds to be produced and included as an update.
You are currently reading my signature.

ben_horwood wrote:
daExpert wrote:
Ok then, well that is entirely unclear in any of your previous posts. :?

But if you want to go and shift the goal-posts now, AFTER the fact, then go ahead. :shrug:

Edited because of my shitty spelling
I never once said "bread and butter patches". You did. I said "sounds".

Which, can be a patch or a sound-source.

You said "real instruments" and "real sounds." :roll:
daExpert wrote:I asked Eric about this awhile back on this forum. Adding a comprehensive selection of real instrument sounds into the omnisphere library
daExpert wrote:I believe it would add so much to omnisphere for it to have a large variety of expertly sampled real instruments, with that signature spectrasonics sound.
daExpert wrote:Omnisphere already has a small collection of real instruments, and all of those sound really good. It would be an amazing addition for it to have a nice collection of acoustic pianos, solo strings, etc.
daExpert wrote:If you think that adding more real instruments to omnisphere is a bad idea, that's fine. But don't judge me without knowing me. Okay?
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

ben_horwood wrote:You said "real instruments" and "real sounds." :roll:
Yes and "real instruments" or "real sounds" can be either a patch or a sound-source. I never specified either way. Do you want me to give you a cookie or something?

djanthonyw wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:gotta love how people are arguing that omni isn't enough of a rompler :hihi:
Why? I don't see what's so crazy about wanting that. Please, show me all of the great options that accomplish this and do it well. As I mentioned, I think that Hypersonic / Halion Sonic are really the only decent options. Omnisphere is already setup for this and it works really well, all that's needed is for the sounds to be produced and included as an update.
actually, that's not what i mean...while i disagree with you, preferring persing's stance, there's nothing wrong with YOU wanting it like that...i just find it amusing because normally the hater's argument is that omnishere is nothing more than a rompler...now we have omnisphere owners arguing that it isn't ENOUGH of a rompler

having a stock piano and harpsichord won't make it a rompler anyway....rompler is a contraction of rom and sampler, and
since omnisphere can't sample it fails on half of that equation....and ALL software fails on the 'rom' part :)

then there's those who want stock 'real' instruments to manipulate in omnisphere's engine....while i think it's a more than competent suite of filters, engine, effects, arp etc, i don't think it is THAT special....

sample import won't change any of that...those looking for the convenience of having omnisphere be a one stop shop are not likely gonna be looking for the inconvenience of trying to cram a decent multisampled, multi-round robined, multivelocity instrument into omnisphere...

i think omni sample import is for those who don't want to have the extra expense of alchemy, which i believe is a much better environment to do it in

i'm guessing what you and the op are looking for is omnisphere to be the only thing you need....but that won't ensure it's gonna be everything that others need....

you want the best rompler on the market, it's kontakt....think of the kontakt software as the keyboard/synth, which already comes with an extensive b & b library....then think of the libraries as rom cartridge expansions, et voila, you have a rompler which offers much more for those interested to delve further

it still won't have the incredible library and spec' team sound design, so you will need omnisphere for that

and here we are

I did read the postings quite carefully...

I do understand both sides colliding here, while I tend to be more on the expansion side...

Many people being against the expansion won't be hurt, if there was more content in Omnisphere, while people who miss content would be more satisfied...

Fact is, Omnispheres content is quite special and focused mainly on the experimental/atmospheric side of music genres...there are thousands of patches but how different are they???
I don't know how many presets are included now, but my last impression was, that there are of i.e. 6000 presets there are 5800 experimental ones and only a little rest, which is more "open"

Fact is, that because of having only 2 layers in a single patch (not regarding the multis here), the synth section is quite limited regarding of more complex synth sounds...

Fact is, Omnisphere's engine do sound fantastic and it is a shame, that it isn't more open to different music style... that's why I would support people asking for more...

Last but not least:
What I really do not understand... If I release such a closed system like Omnisphere, why do I not offer more expansions packs or at least allow sound designers of my choice to make some (for a fee or whatever...)

Many people diss Nexus here for being what it is... but one thing is perfect about this system: It is expandable to your needs...
If somebody likes an instrument for what it is, for how it works, for it's GUI and sound, isn't it natural to want it using more???

And sorry to say this: To tell people, if you want more use something else, because it already exists is imho both: silly (regarding the buisness I loose) and bad treating of customers...

Many people will tell, hey, they were very generous and offered hundreds/thousands of new patches with every update for free... and I have to say, yeah that's correct... but taking a closer look at the additions, they are very often variations of existing ones, focused at the same experimental/atmospheric level as the other ones... not very helpful for people, who look for a little bit more "usable" sounds...

Conclusion: It wouldn't harm Omnisphere to be more general usuable...

Trancit wrote:If I release such a closed system like Omnisphere, why do I not offer more expansions packs or at least allow sound designers of my choice to make some (for a fee or whatever...
this to me is a workable option

if they can spare the time, then spectrasonics could test to give them the qc necessary to bring them in line with omnisphere's current standars...then all of those that wanted them could pay for them in money and hd space

currently all of the thousands of patches have been given free, save for the charity set.....

given that we know eric has no interest in doing the work, how could we expect that it would be then also given free...and if it's not free, why would anyone force those of us with no interest to pay more

expansions solves all of this

to be clear, i love real stuff also, and would happily embrace some more elements like this as long as they were small in size but still a little useful, but the minute they start becoming better than even the included kontakt library we have bloatware

i'm much more interested in them doing what they do best

as for bread-and-butter synth stuff....all the building blocks are there, along with the patches....other patches might need a little trimming but that's not so hard even for someone as synth-illiterate as myself..you just which off chosen effects, maybe the arp, and one of the soundsources possibly
To tell people, if you want more use something else, because it already exists is imho both: silly (regarding the buisness I loose) and bad treating of customers...
it really isn't....have you complained to other software synth designers that their instruments don't cover everyone's needs ?? i mean i'd buy predator , but not until rob gives me a convincing harpsichord and useable, 'real' choir :)
Conclusion: It wouldn't harm Omnisphere to be more general usuable...
in reality you have no idea the effect it would have....some people like one ring to rule them all, and others prefer things kept distinct....and what about the effect of something that is still pretty unique becoming a glorified 'gm' set

of course, i exaggerate, but you really don't know

Trancit wrote: And sorry to say this: To tell people, if you want more use something else, because it already exists is imho both: silly (regarding the buisness I loose) and bad treating of customers...
If something alredy exists of course there can be reasons why a company isn't going to offer the same product. To call those silly, without knowing them, or link it to "bad treating of customers" is...silly.
Trancit wrote: Conclusion: It wouldn't harm Omnisphere to be more general usuable...
My habit is to write down every sound in omnisphere that is usable for me, since there are so many patches and I tend to forget which are the nice ones. (for me)
I have quite a long list of amazing sounding and very usable patches now.
The soundquality of Omnisphere makes it very usable too. Would I like more "bread and butter" patches? Yes. But that may be my human nature of never having enough and blaming the tools instead of being creative with already awesome tools :)
I agree there are many "expirimental" patches also. I don't use them, but of course they may be useful to others. An option to choose which sounds to install, would be welcome.

I use the Stars on the side of the preset browser. It's so easy to lose a good sound.

Return to “Instruments”