enChord v1 - a new concept for electronic music performance and composition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Unfortunately, this SME-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights.
Sorry about that."

????

Well I feel a little silly, from the first post:
enChord is a fully working prototype implemented in Lemur's framework, but enChord is also currently being ported to other major touch platforms, like iPad (standalone version), Android, Windows 8, etc. Plans to make enChord a standalone hardware instrument are being discussed.
So I guess it is just a matter of time.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I support the idea of native touchscreens. iPads just doesn't do it imho, they're too small, a pain to set up and in most cases you're forced to use an extra layer (like TouchOSC or Lemur). No, give me a nice large horizontal 27" (normal) screen and a somewhat smaller touchscreen lying almost flat in front of me.

Edit: of course I meant "vertical" instead of "horizontal".
Last edited by bronswerk on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronswerk wrote:I support the idea of native touchscreens. iPads just doesn't do it imho, they're too small, a pain to set up and in most cases you're forced to use an extra layer (like TouchOSC or Lemur). No, give me a nice large horizontal 27" (normal) screen and a somewhat smaller touchscreen lying almost flat in front of me.
Yep, exactly that. +1
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Some (justified) ridicule over at Synthtopia:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... -them-all/

Aural Chaos wrote:Some (justified) ridicule over at Synthtopia:

Hah. Synthtopia has even more trolls than KVR. That does seems like the kind of ridiculous boasting common among my Sth American friends!

I realised what app this reminds me of... Polychord. But with more functionality.

I have the original (touch-screen) Jazz Mutant Lemur- one cat5 cable and you are ready to go. Way better than an iPad and still all working fine. Picked mine up second hand recently and it's a great thing.

Panphobia wrote:I would be interested in this if it was a pure vst that I could use on my PC desktop as a plugin within my host
paterpeter wrote:No iPad software for me either, but the program itself looks interesting. +1 for a VST version.
DJMashbot wrote: If I could use this as a VST plugin to generate phrases for a VST instrument, I'd be interested.
Resonator63 wrote:I don't have an ipad.
A vst version would interest me though.
bobbybland wrote:Vst version for sure. I'd be in for that
miquelmatas wrote:+1 for vst, too.
Kalamata Kid wrote:1+ VST
Would it help if it was integrated with Melodyne using ARA?
shadoe42 wrote:I would be interested in this as both a VST and an Android app. And would be willing to help test either version.
tropicalontour wrote:Wish this was available as a VST. Don't own an iPad and so far, there isn't enough reason for me to get one.
Hey all,
First of, best musical wishes to you all in 2013.

Thank you for your suggestions for a VST version of enChord and all your comments in this regard.

I guess it all comes down as to how we approach the enChord concept.

Rather than a plugin, enChord was conceived and implemented as a MIDI controller: it already controls any VSTs, AUs, AAXs, and RTAS synths, and any other software and hardware synths that can handle MIDI notes.

As opposed to many other harmony-related tools in the market, the most important aspect of enChord is its immediacy. For enChord's purpose, the touch screen is the ideal medium --and the fastest-- to help you design the overall harmony of your music composition as well as an innovative way to approach your performance endeavors.

In Avantgarde Sound's philosophy, making you spend months or even years learning a tool defeats the purpose of the concept of "tool" and turns it into a chore!

Once you install enChord, the only dilemma to the user is: "What would I like to compose and/or play right now?" Just like when you grab your guitar or sit in front of your piano but with the innovative exception that you didn't have to spend years in the conservatory memorizing chord progression and music modulation. enChord is your friendly companion to new harmony territories. This is not a light statement: it has been mine since beta-testing. I have produced more tunes than ever before; tunes that I never thought I would be able to. This is why I decided I needed to find a sustainable way to share and keep developing it. enChord is it.

I want to let you know, however, that we will keep analyzing how we can make the most of enChord for all platforms possible.

enChord is already being worked on for iPad (standalone), Android, and Windows 8. Related announcements will be made as we progress.

Porting enChord to any platform is not cheap, but I have reasonable optimism as the initial reception has been very positive overall. With your support for the project, the new iterations of enChord will come faster.
You can support enChord by acquiring the fully working version for iPad's Lemur, here:
http://http://www.ebay.com/sch/avantgar ... rom=&_ipg=

I also want to let you all know, all initial supporters WILL NOT be forgotten when the new platform versions are announced, and this is set in stone as of now.

I invite you all again to watch this video showcasing enChord's usability and main features. I agree it is not a flashy video with bs ( :wink: ) marketing covering product lackings with bells and whistles and sounds of explosions to which we are all used to, but users (my kind of users) can certainly figure out the several ways in which enChord can fit your personal music-making workflow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-jZjvJOpdo

I apologize for any delays responding to your questions, I will keep doing my very best.

All the best for 2013 to you all,
Avantgarde Sound

--

Does it do voice leading and inversion?

secretkillerofnames wrote:
Aural Chaos wrote:Some (justified) ridicule over at Synthtopia:

Hah. Synthtopia has even more trolls than KVR. That does seems like the kind of ridiculous boasting common among my Sth American friends!

I realised what app this reminds me of... Polychord. But with more functionality.
First of, best musical wishes for 2013 to all synthtopians out there! Some Avantgarde users also alerted us on this post by Synthtopia.com, of which we at Avantgarde Sound are big fans since forever. While we are not extremely excited about the title of the article :), it is sort of understandable how and why it was chosen. However, Synthtopia.com usually focuses on technology and the core aspects of new products, thus we could not deny we are a bit surprised about the slight put-down via the title of the article. Not very Synthtopia-like. But yes, it's kind of funny! :) I honestly thought the smilie right next to the comment in the video spoke for itself. No offense taken. Here's to Synthhead, Synthtopia, and all synthtopians out there. Wish you all the best for 2013. If you have any questions or additional comments, please let us know through a message in the forums we are big fans of (such as KVR!) or through our current only sales channel at eBay (we are working in our official website AND better videos, porting to other platforms... you know how it is!):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/avantgardeaudio ... rom=&_ipg=

I also posted more or less the above at their site, but I guess "moderation" needs to authorize its publication.

Cheers all!
Last edited by Avantgarde Sound on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

analoguesamples909 wrote:does this have an algorithm to automatically play the closest voicing / inversion to the previous chord? Id really like something to help with that...
pinki wrote:
analoguesamples909 wrote:does this have an algorithm to automatically play the closest voicing / inversion to the previous chord? Id really like something to help with that...
Exactly. I wonder too.
pinki wrote:Does it do voice leading and inversion?
Hi Pinki and Analoguesamples909!

Thanks for your question.

Yeah, you can definitely do inversions, and expansions; you can emphasize the low notes or only the high notes or simply "bloat the chord up" so to speak and just do both.

Upon basic chord selection, you can approach NoteBoard (the white board of 108 notes) as a canvas for you to literally further "paint in" your chords based on the clearly indicated scale (also user-selectable). Then you can test your chords with the "SelectionTester", to finally store your chord when satisfied.

Designing and modifying your voicings til doomsday is really easy. You don't have to memorize anything.

I guess, let's use a typical chord design scenario using enChord:

1. You chose C4 (C 48, in NoteBoard) as your root note, then you chose C Major as your base scale.

2. Let's say you then tapped on Major 7 in ChordLibrary. Besides sounding out this chord (provided Chord Audition is ON) NoteBoard will also lid C 48, E 52, G 55 and B 59 automatically (exactly: the notes that make C Major 7).

3. You can then tap on G 55 on NoteBoard (which effectively removes said note from your chord), and sound out your modified chord by tapping on the big blue Selection Tester button (to the right of NoteBoard)

4. Since NoteBoard permanently shows you all the notes belonging to your chosen scale, you can just add or remove any scale notes directly simply by tapping on the desired notes in NoteBoard. Ie., your voicings and custom chord modifications have really no limits. You can also do certain tasks automatically by tapping on Functions, then on Lows emphasis or Highs emphasis or Bloat or Transpose by octave or Transpose by semitone...
Store to ChordBank when satisfied :wink:.

Also useful, you can always check the voicings of your previously stored chords by simply tapping on them in ChordBank: small blue squares appear on the right hand side of each note in NoteBoard pertaining to the selected ChordBank pad (stored chord).

I know many jazz and higher level musicians/composers actually do schematics of their progressions for later use or while composing/studying. So yes, enChord is also sort of a first of a kind "harmony calculator", all within a few touches.

Further, if you take a look at the TileBoard explanation (in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-jZjvJOpdo)
you will realize how TileBoard's harmonic concept is really a pre-made surface of multiple inversions, expansions and emphasis, and all of the above. Not to forget that TileBoard mappings change dynamically upon user interaction.

It's kind of crazy, but the interesting part (from a real-life user perspective) is that it is always right harmonically. And it always inspires to new routes.

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound

---

if i didnt have to buy the lemur app for ipad i would of purchased this already.

Great, thanks for the reply. If we make our own chords- can we label them appropriately? So my new chord is cm/G or Vb or some-such standard way of nomenclature.

And then can I put all these 'home-made' and labelled chords in the tile board?

If yes and yes, then this is very interesting indeed!

@ Avantgarde Audio

Just wanted to let you know that all the videos you posted are blocked here in Germany.

No_Use wrote:@ Avantgarde Audio

Just wanted to let you know that all the videos you posted are blocked here in Germany.
Hi No_Use,

We will soon upload a version with no background music, and let you know when available.

Let me reiterate though that there are no pointers nor information as to how or why GEMA controls centuries-old music performed by Argentinean musicians. These musicians probably don't even know what GEMA is, but they are controlled by GEMA? This was certainly not expected at all when making the video, but I guess we all can agree that the chosen background music is the least significant aspect of the enChord video. It was just a couple of fragments with SECONDS in duration, but OK.

Video with no background music for Germany will soon be uploaded.

Thanks again!

Return to “Instruments”