Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, after having demo'd it a while, i find Viper to be a bit cold and sterile, compared to Spire. I can't judge how close it is to a Virus, which obviously has been the main point about it, but, sound wise, i definitely prefer Spire. Matter of taste, for sure.
"Closer to Virus" =/= "sounds better".
Indeed. :) I just thought it was a bit more creamy/fat/whatever when i listened to all those sound demos. Of course, easily deceiving, when the sounds are drowned in fx etc. I simply find Spire a bit more "mix ready". Opposed to other soft synths, i just need to add a bit of high EQ, and maybe a bit of low end boost, et voilà.

BTW, nice to see you back, i thought you'd be gone after you haven't posted here for some months. :)

chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, after having demo'd it a while, i find Viper to be a bit cold and sterile, compared to Spire. I can't judge how close it is to a Virus, which obviously has been the main point about it, but, sound wise, i definitely prefer Spire. Matter of taste, for sure.
Indeed. :) I just thought it was a bit more creamy/fat/whatever when i listened to all those sound demos. Of course, easily deceiving, when the sounds are drowned in fx etc. I simply find Spire a bit more "mix ready". Opposed to other soft synths, i just need to add a bit of high EQ, and maybe a bit of low end boost, et voilà.

BTW, nice to see you back, i thought you'd be gone after you haven't posted here for some months. :)
I just had no time for flooding at KVR (actually I still don't, but now Viper is out, Spire got filter drive so I'm back here to discuss these very important things :D )

Actually Viper and Spire work well together, Viper takes care about the midrange sounds and Spire does nice top-end leads.

In my own experience, mixes consisting mostly of Virus tend to sound dark and muddy, while mixes made mostly of Spire tend to sound way too bright and lack some "substance" (for the lack of better word). I didn't yet make a 100% Viper mix but I did use it in actual tracks and to my ears it behaves quite similar to Virus in the mix.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

HcDoom wrote:
v1o wrote:Anyone tried Viper VST yet. It’s amazing.
Why would you mention another synth, competition at that, in Spires own thread?
I was baiting a discussion on the relative merits of both, because both synths were inspired by the Virus. The Viper sound demos, sound really impressive, but unfortunately for me it is my principle not to buy 32 bit plugins.

This is KVR, synth comparisons in dedicated threads are common place in the general instruments forum and are not shunned. I am not breaking any rules or etiquette.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Spire and Viper definitely sound different. I'd say that Viper sounds quite "dry" by default, loses quite a bit of volume with high filter resonance settings, and the supersaw/unison also sounds different to Spire. The filters definitely share a lot of vibe though, obviously, because the Infecto and Perfecto filter in Spire are surely both modelled after the Virus filter. Anyway, up to you which one you prefer, of course. For me, it's definitely Spire.

recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote:

I just had no time for flooding at KVR (actually I still don't, but now Viper is out, Spire got filter drive so I'm back here to discuss these very important things :D )

Actually Viper and Spire work well together, Viper takes care about the midrange sounds and Spire does nice top-end leads.

In my own experience, mixes consisting mostly of Virus tend to sound dark and muddy, while mixes made mostly of Spire tend to sound way too bright and lack some "substance" (for the lack of better word). I didn't yet make a 100% Viper mix but I did use it in actual tracks and to my ears it behaves quite similar to Virus in the mix.
The Virus is known for having very dark and beefy oscillators. Funny enough I find Spire to be mid range heavy in sound. For me a bright synth is something like the Waldorf Blofeld. I've done tracks composed of just Spire and I've found them to have far more energy in the mid range than my older tracks. I'm used to Propellerheads synths like Thor & Subtractor, which to me sound very dark in contrast to many bright and glassy sounding modern VSTis.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

chk071 wrote:Spire and Viper definitely sound different. I'd say that Viper sounds quite "dry" by default, loses quite a bit of volume with high filter resonance settings, and the supersaw/unison also sounds different to Spire. The filters definitely share a lot of vibe though, obviously, because the Infecto and Perfecto filter in Spire are surely both modelled after the Virus filter. Anyway, up to you which one you prefer, of course. For me, it's definitely Spire.
Do you find that Spire sounds quite bland; if you dont use the shaper and x-comp?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

No, not at all. :) I definitely keep the "Warm" algorithm in the master section on for most sounds though. Gives some low end boost, and also a bit of harmonics, if i'm not totally wrong.

Hey guys. I just purchased Spire. How do you install skins? I've downloaded and purchased a few and am not sure how. Is there a step-by-step process to how to install skins/themes and revert if I have to?

I'm on a MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2014) w/Sierra.

epu wrote:Hey guys. I just purchased Spire. How do you install skins? I've downloaded and purchased a few and am not sure how. Is there a step-by-step process to how to install skins/themes and revert if I have to?

Hi!

Unfortunately, at the moment Spire does not support third-party skins. We plan to add this feature to future versions, but we can not promise any dates.

If you have problems with original skins, please contact us via support@reveal-sound.com

Thank you for understanding.
Last edited by vega555 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vega555 wrote: Unfortunately, at the moment Spire does not support third-party skins. We plan to add this feature to future versions, but we can not promise any dates.

If you have problems with original skins, please contact us via support@<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">reveael-sound.com</span>

Oh I see. So those skins that I see all over the web are patches and are not supported directly by Reveal Sound. Good to know!

vega555 wrote:
epu wrote:Hey guys. I just purchased Spire. How do you install skins? I've downloaded and purchased a few and am not sure how. Is there a step-by-step process to how to install skins/themes and revert if I have to?

Hi!

Unfortunately, at the moment Spire does not support third-party skins. We plan to add this feature to future versions, but we can not promise any dates.

If you have problems with original skins, please contact us via support@reveael-sound.com

I think he meant support@reveal-sound.com
8)

epu wrote:
vega555 wrote: Unfortunately, at the moment Spire does not support third-party skins. We plan to add this feature to future versions, but we can not promise any dates.

If you have problems with original skins, please contact us via support@<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">reveael-sound.com</span>

Oh I see. So those skins that I see all over the web are patches and are not supported directly by Reveal Sound. Good to know!
Mind to link to those?

Here is an example of one - https://tinyurl.com/y8orguyd

There are quite a few online. I thought there was some method where these skins could be placed in some type of themes folder which would make them show up on the GUI option in the MENU.

Interesting. I guess those are either mockups, or you need something like Ressource Hacker, to patch them into Spire.

epu wrote:Here is an example of one - https://tinyurl.com/y8orguyd

There are quite a few online. I thought there was some method where these skins could be placed in some type of themes folder which would make them show up on the GUI option in the MENU.
That one looks great. :) I remember before Sylenth1 had other skins, one or two that were on that website (or somewhere else..not sure where I saw them) eventually ended up being included with Sylenth1. It would be cool if Reveal-Sound could acquire that one. I wonder how much developers pay for a skin like that? It must be a lot of work.

Return to “Instruments”