One-Synth-Challenge 48: Voyager - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voyager

Cool. Where's the latency from do you think?

ello. I have a quick question. I havent participated in any of the One-Synth challenges before but I was interested in submitting a song for this one. I seen in the rules that I would have to have 20 posts & a vote in the current process from the last month's contest before I am able to eligible for prizes. Is that correct?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote:ello. I have a quick question. I havent participated in any of the One-Synth challenges before but I was interested in submitting a song for this one. I seen in the rules that I would have to have 20 posts & a vote in the current process from the last month's contest before I am able to eligible for prizes. Is that correct?
I believe that if you submit a track of your own and vote on other's tracks in this contest you are good to go. :)

Yes correct, to get prizes you need to submit and vote. The 20 post rule is just for those who don't submit but want to vote (to prevent buddies from 'helping').

V'ger wrote:Cool. Where's the latency from do you think?
Actually, after experimenting with the Audio device settings in Reaper, I get a MUCH better result. Don't fully understand how all this works, but I am happily playing the Voyager VST right now...

(My Audio device settings for anyone who is interested:)

Audio: WaveOut
Input Device: CoreAudio WaveIn 0
Input Device: CoreAudio WaveOut 0
Sample Format: 16 bit
Input Channels: 2
Output Channels: 2
SampleRate: 44100 Hz
Buffers: 2 x 256 samples
(latency: 11ms)

And is that the real latency of the system, matching the audio card, or is something lost in WineBottler?

WineBottler does appear to be able to see the CoreAudio driver which is what I am using with Logic; whether there is additional delay by running through WineBottler I couldn't say for sure. Feels as responsive as when I'm using Logic though.

No doubt. Thank you very much.

Now I have a couple of questions as I'm getting started as well. I understand we can only use free or host fx (with the exception of chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch shifters, etc). Are we allowed to use any saturation fx? I'm using Reaper and wanted to put some of the JS fx on (nonlinear & saturation specifically). If not, not a big deal as I can compress to get some saturation as well.

And also.. I'm having trouble with Voyager as far as getting some of my patches to respond to velocity. I have been playing with the velocity control in the synth but it hasn't been helping. Is there something in the osicllators or the filter that I should be tweaking instead?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Seems WineBottler is a real alternative then hopefully making more Mac users able to join, although understandable Logic users will not be too motivated to use another DAW (although it might be inspiring in itself).

@Saukar30: Indeed, the velocity control seems to do little to the amplifier, but still works on the cutoff which in my opinion is more important anyway.

And saturation plugins are fine. The JS are very good, but if you haven't already, do check out the master of saturation plugins Variety of Sound and try the newly released TesslaPRO mkII or everyone's favorite FerricTDS. I personally use TesslaSE too but favorite is maybe JB's Ferox. But as with all plugins, there is a limit to when they transform the original synth sound beyond recognition and that's against the rules.

sorry fot the offtopic but i couldnt find a better place to propose this.

How about a Challenge using ShortCircuit and its only allowed to use a very small given set of samples?

ah damnit and now i remember that there is other platforms out there :P

Daedalus would be nice but its also win-only
Funny would be Tapeotronic ... :)

Daedalus is a fine synth, but if not Tapeotronic, some other Elektrostudio synths are also high on the list.

Curious if anyone has gotten Velocity response working on Voyager? On my system (FL Studio 10) notes are always full-strength - guessing Arguru just didn't get around to programming that.

Hello. This will be my first entry so I'm just looking for some verification whether the following effects a are allowed or not:

- eq/filters ie lpf/bpf/hpf

(if yes then can be params be automated ie filter sweeps)

- reverb(host)

- delay(host)

- compressors/limiters(host)

Your mom used to alias, but now she is oversampled.
-----------------------
www.BASSFACErecords.com

QuadrupleA wrote:Curious if anyone has gotten Velocity response working on Voyager? On my system (FL Studio 10) notes are always full-strength - guessing Arguru just didn't get around to programming that.
I use Cubase and I see that only the filter is responding to velocity but not the volume. So it is possible to use velocity in a certain way.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

APHELEON s.a. wrote:Hello. This will be my first entry so I'm just looking for some verification whether the following effects a are allowed or not:

- eq/filters ie lpf/bpf/hpf

(if yes then can be params be automated ie filter sweeps)

- reverb(host)

- delay(host)

- compressors/limiters(host)

All in order. Of course you can use Limiter-Compressor-Reverb-Delay from host. Also an external filter, always that it is free and available for everyone.
But about the filter, why don't you use the built-in filters in the synth itself? Are very good, imo.

Of course you can automate to make filter sweeps.

Have a nice day.

Return to “Instruments”