What happened to NovaFlash, Delamancha and other SE devs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry to hijack this thread but it made me think about other SE VST Devs. Has anyone heard anything from Delamancha. I love all his plugs and I have most of them but I haven't heard of anything new lately?
simon

thebaggytrouseredone wrote:Has anyone heard anything froam Delamancha. I love all his plugs and I have most of them but I ha/ven't heard of anything new lately?
Yes, I've been wondering what's up with dlM too lately.. still great plugins though :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

thebaggytrouseredone wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but it made me think about other SE VST Devs. Has anyone heard anything from Delamancha. I love all his plugs and I have most of them but I haven't heard of anything new lately?
Good question. I changed the title of the thread to make it a more general "what happened to...." thread.

As Novaflash replied, mabye Delamancha could stop by here to and let us know what he is up to these days.

This is just an assumption... but maybe modern trends like Mac and x64 have had their effect?

I had and liked some dlM plugins, kept them out of nostalgia when I decided to go exclusively x64, now that I'm on a Mac there's no (sensible) way I could ever use them.

SynthEdit and SynthMaker are Win x86 only, and the last years have shown that this won't change anytime soon, because SE/SM are all about customers paying for the tool but the devs not porting it to x64.

It seems fair to assume that there's hardly anything left today that's unique functionality on the market would make up for the hassle of using a Windows-exclusive 32-bit plugin inside a 64-bit host, so... why should the devs bother?

I'm damn sure I wouldn't waste my time with creating something, that a (n estimated) 75% of the people who 'ooh' and 'aah' about it can't (or choose to not) use anyway. Factor 'money' left aside.

:shrug:
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:It seems fair to assume that there's hardly anything left today that's unique functionality on the market would make up for the hassle of using a Windows-exclusive 32-bit plugin inside a 64-bit host, so... why should the devs bother?
What's the "hassle" to load a 32bit plugin into a 64bit DAW with the help of it's bridge (if it does not have one, better go for a better DAW)?   :wink:
chokehold wrote:I'm damn sure I wouldn't waste my time with creating something, that a (n estimated) 75% of the people who 'ooh' and 'aah' about it can't (or choose to not) use anyway. Factor 'money' left aside.:shrug:
There was a poll here some days ago, the result was that 50% of the participants used only 64bit plugins (maybe they don't know, that there are bridges for 32b VSTs, that won't change anything of the remaining functionality in their host?)  :shrug:
I wonder how many use 64bit Windows even they have only 4GB of RAM, just because it appears "bigger" and "better"  :lol:
ImageImage

I heard 64bit sounds more analog because it's closer to having infinite bandwidth than 32bit is. :troll:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I heard 64bit sounds more analog because it's closer to having infinite bandwidth than 32bit is. :troll:
No, but 64bit has 4x the dynamics of a CD, giving the mix more power.  :D
ImageImage

WOK wrote:What's the "hassle" to load a 32bit plugin into a 64bit DAW with the help of it's bridge (if it does not have one, better go for a better DAW)?   :wink:
WOK wrote:maybe they don't know, that there are bridges for 32b VSTs, that won't change anything of the remaining functionality in their host?
Ever tried doing that?

* Crashes for no apparent reasons, especially when loading/unloading
* Sound instabilities like drop-outs and delays
* Maybe no sound at all
* Maybe no GUI shown at all
* F'ed up workflow because x86 plugins are seperate system processes and DON'T "stay on top" even if so selected

As long as the mouse focus is on the plugin window...
* ...you can't control the host app with keys like SPACE for play/pause etc.
* ...you can't reach the host's menu without clicking back into the host and hiding the plugin
* ...you can click around on the on-GUI keyboard (if one is there) until you're blue in the face - you still won't hear a single tone until you switch back to the host process window

I'm too tired to carry on.
The seemingly endless list continues, but I can't remember all the points because I haven't dealt with x86 plugins for years.
chokehold wrote:I wonder how many use 64bit Windows even they have only 4GB of RAM, just because it appears "bigger" and "better" :lol:
I agree, if you don't use "all of the RAM all of the time", there's no use in moving to x64 software. But I for my part wish I had a lot more than just 8 GB of RAM, as a dedicated Superior Drummer kit will take up 2GB+ on its own.
And you don't wanna know what happens to the RAM gauge when I work on some orchestral stuff with at least 4 loaded instances of Kontakt that have at least 8 instruments each... I wouldn't survive a single minute in x86, so there's no way I'll ever turn back.

And have you ever tried seriously working on some HD video content or digital SLR photos of appropriate dimensions inside a x86-only application? Good heavens!

I respect the effort of people who put together plugins with SynthEdit, SynthMaker and SonicBirth. I do. I had a go at it myself, just to see what might come of it, so I do know that it's not just "Sound-Lego" but there's some serious DSP knowledge necessary after all, and I did appreciate a solid SynthEdit plugin "back in the days" when I didn't have a Mac and x64 wasn't a requirement for me.

But you can't win against trends, no matter how hard you try.
Not excessive loudness, not wobble basses, not shitty AABABCBB pop song structures and not x64 systems.

So as a SynthEdit user and SE plugin developer, maybe you should try getting the guy who pocketed the money for your SE license to become aware of the fact that it's 2013, and go tell him to invest some of that money in a x64 capable compiler or some books on x64 architecture, rather than a fancy GFX accelerated SE project view and gadgetry like that.
I paid for my SE license as well, I never got anything back for it, so maybe you can pressure him for my money's worth, too?

Hell, if Mac x64 versions of SynthEdit and SynthMaker plugins start popping up, I'll gladly download Bootsy's stuff again, and maybe even find use for some of your fancy synths.
But as long as they compromise the stability and the workflow of my host, I'm not touching them with a barge pole, I'd rather keep my work crash- and instability-free.

And I've got 43-point-something more percent of that poll to back this opinion up, I guess.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

^^ This
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

ImageImage

I use both 32bits & 64bits plugins inside my 64bits host (FL Studio 9) and I don't have any problems...

Return to “Instruments”