Best free synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IrionDaRonin wrote:Dune BE (Bread and butter Analog with FM and Wavetable)
Do you know if this is still up on Beat site? I found the thread in which you announced it, but it seems they removed banner and link. Shame really, this was teh bestest for no money imo. :)

chk071 wrote:Does Dune BE count as freeware? It's free to have when you follow the download link to the Beat mags synth plugin bundle. If so, i don't think anything beats that. :) Otherwise i would give anoher vote to Synth1.
Dune BE is a very good freebie and I have it installed on my DAW. However, I don't agree with your statement that nothing beats it (in the free category).

Have you listened carefully to the soundquality of Charlatan or some of the freebies from u-he? I don't think you have actually, as it's pretty clear you wouldn't have made that statement if you had. :wink:

Go check 'm out, you will be in for a surprise!

http://www.u-he.com/cms/podolski
http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebralette
http://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6
http://www.u-he.com/cms/triple-cheese
http://www.blaukraut.info/
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

solidtrax wrote: Dune BE is a very good freebie and I have it installed on my DAW. However, I don't agree with your statement that nothing beats it (in the free category).

Have you listened carefully to the soundquality of Charlatan or some of the freebies from u-he? I don't think you have actually, as it's pretty clear you wouldn't have made that statement if you had. :wink:
I agree with you, BUT Dune BE is way more versatile that those synths are, and it has a massive voice stack, which is a big plus if you're after huge pads, supersaw trance leads and stuff like that, and the modulation options are way bigger than on Charlatan or the u-he stuff. That's a big plus for me. But you're right, sound wise Charlatan and the u-he synths are exquisite. Dune BE sounds very good also though.

Charlatan, U-he, Dune... Seems the Germans are running the freeware synth show :roll: Tal is Swiss, almost German as well :hihi:

reusenoise wrote:Strange,no one mentioned these monster http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight= :D
ahhh the infamous melonhead amazing plugin. my goto synths:

amazing plugin: pads
onepingonly: leads
TITAN-CHRONO: bass
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

chk071 wrote:
solidtrax wrote: Dune BE is a very good freebie and I have it installed on my DAW. However, I don't agree with your statement that nothing beats it (in the free category).

I agree with you, BUT Dune BE is way more versatile that those synths are, and it has a massive voice stack, which is a big plus if you're after huge pads, supersaw trance leads and stuff like that, and the modulation options are way bigger than on Charlatan or the u-he stuff. That's a big plus for me. But you're right, sound wise Charlatan and the u-he synths are exquisite. Dune BE sounds very good also though.
And I agree with you on the fact that Dune BE is very feature packed and very versatile! Only problem I have with it is that I clearly hear aliasing when I play the high notes. But hey.. I don't think people ever died from a little bit of aliasing so I should not worry to much. :lol:
Website

IrionDaRonin wrote:Dune BE (Bread and butter Analog with FM and Wavetable)
Zebralette (Spectral and Wavescanning)
Zeta+1 BE (Wavetable)
Oatmeal With Lime Flavour Skins
Augur (WaveScanning)
Zenharmonic FMTS (FM and Microtonal)

I think you don't need too much more.

Have a nice day :)
Can anyone explain to me what the descriptions actually mean? I know each has it's own quality but I always worry about having duplicaTES OF SYNTHS AND i'D LIKE TO NARROW IT DOWN...Caps off!

Also, what does aliasing sound like?
John
"B4serenity"

solidtrax wrote:I don't think people ever died from a little bit of aliasing
Sydney Carton did.

With bad synths aliasing sounds ugly, noise you just don't want to hear. Play for instance a muted pad chord in the upper section of the keyboard and you will often hear a kind of lower-frequency grinding sound. With lower octaves it is not much of a problem, though. To a certain extent one can get rid of aliasing by means of a high-pass filter.

b4serenity wrote:[..]
Also, what does aliasing sound like?
I'm not at home so can't upload an example.. but imagine playing a bright e-piano kind of preset in a synth and you play the very high notes.. and the aliasing you hear as a somewhat lower kind of sound that is totally not in tune with the note you are playing..

I think I should upload an example.. :p Will do later! (if I don't forget)
Website

iacoposk8 wrote:Hello everyone! in your opinion, what is the best vst plugin that works like synth and is also free?
Whats YOUR opinion?

My opinion might be a bit biased but I think WC VSTi is a terrific free synth. Advanced mono solo performance instrument for wind controllers. Also the MWK VSTi the little brother is a mod wheel and keyboard version that has duo phonic capabilities.

Only thing holding it back a bit I think is no mac version.
The sleeper must awaken.

Fantastic blog ! Keep up the great work :)
Music is the essence of life.

https://www.srvmusicmaker.com/

I think it would also be interesting to have a bang for the buck thread, where people discuss what you get for your money with commercial plugins, i.e. aspects like pricing relative to features/quality, possible sound set prices if not free, update policy (possible fees, frequency), support quality, etc.

Of course with free plugins the spectrum is the broadest, you can get anything from utter crap crashing your computer/DAW to commercial-grade plugins by developers who do what they do simply for fun.

OnePingOnly is very good for drum sounds, just resample. Good for some metallophone too.

Aside from the mentioned, I'd also add Mausynth for subtractive synthesis, and from the DC'12 Hydi and Poly-2106. ComboF/V for combo-organs, Addictive Keys for concert piano..

Return to “Instruments”