Best free synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ras.s wrote:I'd also add Mausynth for subtractive synthesis
I agree, very good sounding synth, although the GUI layout takes a little bit to get used to. And for the filter freaks: yes, it's zero delay :D
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

My feelings say currently maybe:
U-he Tyrell N6
http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page=26 ... le_id=3978
becouse sounds so different compared others what i own. and one skin what i found for is really nice!.

Nielzie wrote:
I agree, very good sounding synth, although the GUI layout takes a little bit to get used to. And for the filter freaks: yes, it's zero delay :D

I didn't even know that one :oops: It has a very pleasant sound, very strong and present in the mid-frequency range.
But the interface?! What is the point in hiding the labels for half the controls? 8)

solidtrax wrote: Dune BE is very feature packed and very versatile! Only problem I have with it is that I clearly hear aliasing when I play the high notes.
That's what I hear when I listen to Massive...

I don't have that problem in Rapture or Dimension Pro :wink:

ZynAddSubFX
dark_virus wrote:It should be in the KVR rules:

"New members must make, obligatorily, a 'what's the best' thread".
Don't forget the "Old members are obliged to diss all best freeware threads, but are free to choose whether to do so using 'One-Ping-Only' or 'This plugin is amazing' answers"

dark_virus wrote:
manandmusic wrote:
iacoposk8 wrote:Hello everyone! in your opinion, what is the best vst plugin that works like synth and is also free?
I like these threads! Unfortunately, they are so RARE ... :hihi:
It should be in the KVR rules:

I never made one, so I will make a new thread:

What is the best "What is the best" thread?

Will that suffice?
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

ras.s wrote:OnePingOnly is very good for drum sounds, just resample. Good for some metallophone too.
Hear hear! All joking aside, OnePingOnly is actually pretty good at what it does.
JJBiener wrote:
dark_virus wrote:"New members must make, obligatorily, a 'what's the best' thread".
Oh yeah, we definitely haven't seen those a gazillion times before :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Nielzie wrote:

I didn't even know that one :oops: It has a very pleasant sound, very strong and present in the mid-frequency range.
But the interface?! What is the point in hiding the labels for half the controls? 8)
wow, this one is nice! and i agree, please finish the GUI ffs!
also, i would have preffered it didnt take up the whole screen!
also not as light on CPU as charlatan and synth1. but yes...nice strong sound on it :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Maybe your screen is too small :hihi: Looks ok on my 24 inch screen :roll:
Maybe that's why it's free, who would pay for a synth with that kind of GUI :P
The sound is amazing, though, played around some more meanwhile. It can easily compete with the usual 50 to 100-dollar synths in terms of sound quality :) It sounds very intense without hitting the red on the meters.

Yes, even that updated Amazona skin for Tyrell is bloody awful (imho!). Try these instead (use the "V2" versions):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5950219/TyrellN6-1978Skin.zip
http://www.omnitaur.se/gui/tyrell/

fluffy_little_something wrote: But the interface?! What is the point in hiding the labels for half the controls? 8)
That's a modulation matrix, no labels are needed.

It's going to stay the way it is (even in the upcoming version with a new GUI). I like the way you can easily see the modulation source and destination from the GUI layout.

mr.bungle wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: But the interface?! What is the point in hiding the labels for half the controls? 8)

It's going to stay the way it is (even in the upcoming version with a new GUI). I like the way you can easily see the modulation source and destination from the GUI layout.
I disagree, I guess most people want labels on their controls. Now, if you yourself don't (because you developed that plugin and thus know it inside out) and think others shouldn't, either, that's your business. I for one have already removed your plugin because of that. Lots of other fish in the sea as they say :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
mr.bungle wrote:

I disagree, I guess most people want labels on their controls. Now, if you yourself don't (because you developed that plugin and thus know it inside out) and think others shouldn't, either, that's your business. I for one have already removed your plugin because of that. Lots of other fish in the sea as they say :)
Yep, I don't care.

Edit: I don't mean to sound harsh. It's just that often the fun and useful features scratch developers personal itch. Trying to provide for everyone results in boring programs.

Well, since your program is free, you can afford that odd attitude. Few people would spend money on that, though...
Nor is a GUI supposed to be exciting, it is supposed to be functional and intuitive (even if you consider that boring), the excitement should come from the sound ;)
It is a pity, though as your synth sounds very good...

JJBiener wrote:
dark_virus wrote:
manandmusic wrote:
iacoposk8 wrote:Hello everyone! in your opinion, what is the best vst plugin that works like synth and is also free?
I like these threads! Unfortunately, they are so RARE ... :hihi:
It should be in the KVR rules:

Will that suffice?
You have a good number of posts. So, you're already entitled to the next step: a "what's the worst" thread! :troll:

To my knowledge, there's still any KVR rule about a "What is the best 'What is the best'" thread.

Return to “Instruments”