Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

S0lo wrote:I might be missing some thing here, so correct me if I'm wrong,

I can understand that some people would prefer using a 64bit version of a plug to allow for it to use extra memory. But why would any one NOT use a 32bit plug if it doesn't need any large memory at all. Plugins like Sylenth1, Diversion, Alpha,... etc don't need more than 4Gb, they only use a few mega bytes.
hi Solo, basically if we are using a 64 bit host, to USE the plugins like samplers that need more memory, we might as well keep everything 64 bit. There is no point using a 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit host if there is a 64 bit version of that plug in available, because it would be used through a middleman interface, a bridge, which can cause all sorts of issues with even the best coded plugins and best bridges.

So basically, speaking from my point of view, and i would say others who voted the same, i use a 64 bit host because i love using lots of sampled sounds so i need the memory. therefore i will only use other plugins that are 64 bit, to avoid using a bridge. In fact, most of my songs will not load in 32 bit logic at all, i get an out of memory error. I am using 5 or 6 gb real memory on average per song. And i only just bought an orchestral library the other day which i haven't even used yet, so that will use even more, in fact i am about to buy some more ram.

Ram is cheap, 64 bit versions of our hosts, if available, are free of charge to any user who owns a license, there is actually no *downside*in coding native 64 bit plugins for the dev.

TheoM wrote:

I can understand that some people would prefer using a 64bit version of a plug to allow for it to use extra memory. But why would any one NOT use a 32bit plug if it doesn't need any large memory at all. Plugins like Sylenth1, Diversion, Alpha,... etc don't need more than 4Gb, they only use a few mega bytes.
hi Solo, basically if we are using a 64 bit host, to USE the plugins like samplers that need more memory, we might as well keep everything 64 bit. There is no point using a 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit host if there is a 64 bit version of that plug in available, because it would be used through a middleman interface, a bridge, which can cause all sorts of issues with even the best coded plugins and best bridges.

So basically, speaking from my point of view, and i would say others who voted the same, i use a 64 bit host because i love using lots of sampled sounds so i need the memory. therefore i will only use other plugins that are 64 bit, to avoid using a bridge. In fact, most of my songs will not load in 32 bit logic at all, i get an out of memory error. I am using 5 or 6 gb real memory on average per song. And i only just bought an orchestral library the other day which i haven't even used yet, so that will use even more, in fact i am about to buy some more ram.

Ram is cheap, 64 bit versions of our hosts, if available, are free of charge to any user who owns a license, there is actually no *downside*in coding native 64 bit plugins for the dev.
hmm, starting to make sense, I obviously don't use allot of samplers, some times Kontact and sample tank but mostly synths. So never dealt with allot of bridging issues in the first place.

TheoM wrote:yes but not all of us use windows LOL. Sylenth has been 64 on pc for 4 years, and is in never ending beta and not working (beta wise) properly on mac at all. heaps of gui problems. So use the non beta, and have memory leaks.

Basically, sylenth on mac, is only 32 bit, and sucks as a 32 bit plugin too.
Ahh forgot you were a mac user. :)

I was afraid Sylenth wouldn't be 64 bit with it's synth edit history and 64 bit synth edit not around yet you know?

Are there bit-bridges for mac?

Problems with bridging in a 64-bit environment. As I already posted, I've had issues with crackling/popping and other problems using 32-bit plugs bridged. With 64-bit, no issues.

grymmjack wrote:
TheoM wrote:yes but not all of us use windows LOL. Sylenth has been 64 on pc for 4 years, and is in never ending beta and not working (beta wise) properly on mac at all. heaps of gui problems. So use the non beta, and have memory leaks.

Basically, sylenth on mac, is only 32 bit, and sucks as a 32 bit plugin too.
Ahh forgot you were a mac user. :)

I was afraid Sylenth wouldn't be 64 bit with it's synth edit history and 64 bit synth edit not around yet you know?

Are there bit-bridges for mac?
Logic does have an inbuilt one. It's use enjoyment factor is akin to scraping ones eyes on the road.

I love sylenth THAT much, i can't even explain how much, and i still sold it simply not to use the bit bridge, that's how much i hate it !

I am moving to 64bit slowly but surely but not quite yet....so I will buy a product if it is just 32 bit with the hope at some point it will be 64bit when I finally switch over
rsp
sound sculptist

My hosts and most of the plugs I use all the time are 32-bit only. 64-bit is nice and probably technically better, but of no use to me (outside of the 64-bit version of VstHost).
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I often use big sample libraries and they crashed 32-bit DAWs, so I need 64-bit support in the DAW.

I have a few 32 bit VSTs and I bridge them with Sonar's bitbridge, but sometimes that doesn't work so I try things like running 32-bit Bidule and load the 32-bit plug-in in that to get it to run in Sonar.

I wish everything were 64-bit, but it isn't.

64-bit means more than just increased memory - the CPU has more 64-bit registers than 32-bit registers and there are other features.

I made a comparison if anyone cares:
http://www.arachnaut.net/txt/64bit.html
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

64 bit or it's not installed, point blank.

trusampler, clean and to the point, and 100% agreed!

I use a lot of sample libraries so 64bit is very important. So as I'm running 64bit Reaper, I do want everything to be 64bit just so it's as stable as possible. I do run a couple of things bridged, such as Dune CM and Harmor (bought it with the knowledge that it's going 64bit) and they work fine. Some others don't work so well bridged, such as DB Glitch, which is a shame. I won't buy stuff that isn't 64bit unless I know it soon will be.

just still wanting to get some more votes.. so a friendly bunp for now :)

I have no needs for 64 in my muzak activities. Also, it looks like Adobe made it WinXp for me for a long time, so unless I'd get desperate enough to make dual boot config, it's 32 for me.

hey Zombie Queen, good that people still on 32 at least explain why.

I am really (pleasantly) surprised there's been only 2 fish votes.

I didn't realise the poll would be SO 64 bit biased though, and of that i am also pleasantly surprised. In fact, i hope developers take note.

grymmjack wrote:
this new one(computer) has 32GB of RAM. I use a 64 bit DAW to allow the memory heavy stuff to occur (even though I have yet to do any of it so I'm sort of of the same opinion as yourself in that regard)
>translation : obvious

I miss my 32 bit plug-ins but I won't bridge them for a few reasons:
1. It's a chance (and junkies need every excuse they can fathom) to kick/quit some other plug-ins that are not offered in 64 bit
>translation : U like change

2. It's a chance to think creatively with less available to do the same thing. The overlap I mention is because so many of the plug-ins do similar things but in different ways
>translation : U're pushing change on your workflow(which is very cool)

3. I'm not 100% sure that bridging will work with a few of these 32 bit plug-ins, and I know that one of the main ones I was using (the KORG microSTATION VST editor) definitely
>translation : "bridging" 32bit to 64bit host is a crap-shoot. Safer bet is to use either/or

4. (and this is a big reason); I can have 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins installed separately in separate folders on my disk and have 32 bit versions of the DAW if I should ever absolutely need to work with the 32 bit only plug-ins I can load the 32 bit version of the DAW
>translation : U're not married to 64bit - you like to hedge your bets

I will say that so far, 64 bit is identical to 32 bit, I have not noticed any improvements in how the plug-ins work with the CPU
>translation : 64bit works & sounds exactly like 32bit
respect first & formost Grym . . . but I've heard variations of these same rationalizations for several months now from many users here. Change for change sake; even if it doesn't matter in the music you make. It's human-nature to want the latest & fastest car, but you only can go ~70mph on the highway.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Instruments”