Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use mostly 64 bit plug ins but to be totally honest I don't care all that much. I would like to see the discussion about the subject though. For me it either works or it doesn't. I updated all of my stuff to 64 bit thinking it would be a huge life changing experience and it seems to be a little bit faster but the only plug in I have that I think really benefits from it is Kontakt.

Mister Natural wrote:my(modest) understanding is that unless you're recording an big band with 64+ seperate audio tracks; 64 bit is completely un-nessacary
The biggest advantage of 64-bit for music production is that it overcomes the 4-GB RAM limitation of 32-bit OS's. This is important for people who use many/large sample libraries, which can eat up 4 GB or more of RAM very quickly.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I use exclusively 64 bit plugs. Not because I need them; I don't. My 64 bit version of Win7 was perfectly happy running a 32 bit host with 32bit plugs and no bridging was needed. I don't use any samples more than 200MB, and have not noticed any speed improvement since switching.

I switched to 64 bit plugs because I am lazy. My band keeps adding new songs to our setlist, and with several hundred already it takes a while to switch each one around (some songs require several VSTs) when I change a VST version. So if 32 bit plugs will eventually fade, better switch now and program my new patches just once. For stability's sake when playing live I don't bridge, so when I switched to a 64 bit host, all my VSTs when 64.

So at least some of us are 64 bit snobs because it will save us work eventually. That is, if I can resist purchasing a new version of Komplete 9 when it comes out...otherwise I'll be changing all my Kontakt patches anyway!

bluedad wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:i think we all know how i voted
what is smegma, anyway?
Isnt it the cheese you get round ya helmut if you dont wash ya knob?

And 64bit onlt here.

64bit only, mainly because that is the direction OS's and DAW's are taking. I don't like the idea that at one point you have to have everything 64bit, but I invested in 32bit plugins that may or may not be updated. And with what's currently available in 64bit, I don't feel I have to buy 32bit plugins.
Other than that, I don't feel there's a big advantage for me to go 64bit, it's just to be future proof. (Plus, I'm on a Mac, you never know when Apple decides that older technology is redundant and therefor not supported anymore)

filter303 wrote:x64 is important for me because most of the plugins I have are x64 now, and I really want to keep it that way (I don't like the idea of using bit bridges). I don't buy new plugins unless they are available as a x64 version.

For me having the plugins as a x64 is not only about the compatibility or ram usage. But it's also about workflow and keeping everything as simple as possible.
Exactly my thoughts.

All my software is 64bit now apart from a few. My DAW Live 8 & 9beta is 64bit.
Going 64bit solved my DAW crashing when it got to it's 3.2GB limit.

Some of my sampled instruments have a RAM preload size of 1.5GB - 2GB so two tracks and that's Live 8 32bit crashing every time I try to make that mix.

With Live 8 & 9 64bit beta my mixes on my computer can be as large as 10GB in size with no crashes cause by RAM limitations. The RAM limit is now governed by what amount of RAM your OS, CPU and motherboard can support.

Windows 8 32bit supports 4GB RAM
Windows 8 64bit Standard supports 16GB RAM
Windows 8 64bit PRO supports 192GB RAM
Intel i7 Ivy and Haswel support 32GB RAM
Intel older i7 support 24GB RAM

I only get crashes now with 32bit plugs running through Jbridge on Live 8 and 9 64bit. If my tracks are running while I mess with knobs on the 32bit plugs they are unreliable and can crash the DAW. The sound toys plugs crackle while turning knobs but are perfect once I settle on a setting. They don't have this problem if I use my midi controller to control them. Theirs not really a problem here as long as I remember what 32bit plugs are sensitive to my messing around. I have to make sure I save the set before I mess with any of these.

The only plugs I'm waiting for to go 64bit now are all Soundtoys plugs and Eventide Blackhole. They say they are working on it and I already own them so I can wait no matter how long it takes because I won't replace them with 64bit plugs that sound worse but I'm worried about their profits while potential customers turn their backs on them. Many people say they won't buy them while they are still 32bit.

I don't think I will ever buy 32bit plugs from now on soon as Soundtoys and Eventide gets their 64bits out I will have a rock solid DAW and I don't want to introduce unreliability back in.

Sylenth1 Mac customers still don't have 64bit version and according to their forum posts their email demands for 64bit are ignored.

Eventide said at the time of selling Blackhole 32bit they are going to make Blackhole 64bit that was about a year ago. They have said nothing since.

I just get the feeling now that any company that releases a 32bit only plug will never make a 64bit version. So I won't take the risk.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 am, edited 11 times in total.

x64 only. the only exception i make for x86 is VoS plugins.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Where is the option in the poll

"currently still use 32bit, but will not buy another 32bit only product for when I move to my next set-up, any I buy now must be both 32 and 64bit!"

x64 only.

I use Reaper, and though its BitBridge served me well back in my Windows days (even bridges x64 plugins into x86 host!) it was still a compromise and is nothing short of an interruption of workflow.

No matter if Win or Mac, when you open up a x86 plugin in x64 software, the BitBridge will start another system process besides the host process, and that will load the plugin.

So it's like having two programs running side by side, which -in theory- doesn't bother me, as long as there's sound coming out.

And that's the big thing - there are so many hiccups and problems with these bridges, like unwanted delays, unexpected sync issues, very often crashes.
Russian Roulette in a way by itself.

Plus there's the disadvantage of the second (BitBridge) process, which means that while you're twiddling the knobs on the plugin's GUI (which is in the second process) you can't press SPACE and have the host (which is the first process) Play and Pause. (Or send any other usual keyboard command to it, for that matter)

What's more, say you have an x86 VSTi/AUi loaded in your x64 host, and you just want to try out some patches by clicking around on its keyboard. Not a big deal, usually.

But when bridging architectures, you can play on the VSTi's buttons and keys as much as you like, you'll only hear sound when you ALT+TAB back into the first (host) process.

And the most annoying thing is - if your host (like Reaper) allows you to "pin" a plugin to the top of the desktop, so it will always stay above the host's windows and not get hidden if you click from the plugin back into the host... even if your host lets you do that, having a second system process will screw it up and hide the plugin's GUI window once you click from the plugin back into the host.
ALT+TABbing won't help, that just cycles between the host and the BitBridge's bridged process, not the plugin GUI. So all you can do is close the plugin's GUI from within the host and open it again to bring it back.
Annoying as hey-all.

I just can't be bothered with paying a decent price for a plugin, and then having to f*ck around with deficiencies like this. That's why I'm so pissed about IK Multimedia, playing around with all the iSh*t and making T-RackS first Singles and now Singles ... but with a Shop around it, instead of FI-NAL-LY finishing SampleTank 3 -which they said would be x64- or at least releasing a 64-bit version of SampleTank 2.5 in the meantime, just so that WE PAYING CUSTOMERS have something to play with during the EXTENSIVE wait they're giving us.

I'm also "mildly f*cking unhappy" with Slate, because THEY seem to "can't be bothered" to finally bring their plugin "Trigger" into todays technology. All the other crap is x64, just not the one I bought. 1.5 years ago, their support (basically) told me to get stuffed, other rubbish was more important.
Several weeks ago, I asked them again, and the support guy said something about March or May or even later.
Well, as the transfer fees add up to make it impossible to sell the P.O.S., let's just wait and see whether they're really gonna do it, or if that was just tactics.

In the end: NO, I'll never buy a x86 plugin again. I might try out a x86 demo, to find out what everyone is hyping about, but it's my rule that I won't buy it unless it's x64.
So if you're a developer and you want my business - make it x64.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Kaboom75 wrote: I only get crashes now with 32bit plugs running through Jbridge on Live 8 and 9 64bit. If my tracks are running while I mess with knobs on the 32bit plugs they are unreliable and can crash the DAW. The sound toys plugs crackle while turning knobs but are perfect once I settle on a setting. They don't have this problem if I use my midi controller to control them. Theirs not really a problem here as long as I remember what 32bit plugs are sensitive to my messing around. I have to make sure I save the set before I mess with any of these.

The only plugs I'm waiting for to go 64bit now are all Soundtoys plugs and Eventide Blackhole. They say they are working on it and I already own them so I can wait no matter how long it takes because I won't replace them with 64bit plugs that sound worse but I'm worried about their profits while potential customers turn their backs on them. Many people say they won't buy them while they are still 32bit.

I don't think I will ever buy 32bit plugs from now on soon as Soundtoys and Eventide gets their 64bits out I will have a rock solid DAW and I don't want to introduce unreliability back in.
I'm in very much the same position, the only 32bit plug-ins I still use with J-bridge are the Soundtoys and Blackhole.
The Soundtoys are actually among the most unstable plug-ins I've used with a bit-bridge. I really hanging out for these to go 64bit, but Blackhole hasn't really caused me any problems yet, but that would be most welcome too.

64 bit OS are standard in 2013.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:64 bit OS are standard in 2013.
You still need a 64bit DAW though with Live 8 and 9 now 64bit that's a big chunk of the plugin market now also demanding 64bit plugs. Still more DAWs to change to 64bit yet. Ableton Live wasn't the first.

64bit DAWs started trickling out 5 years ago, but the x64 OS were still behind x86
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg_ ... tions_8024

x64 Kontakt came July 2009
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/native_ins ... sing_12001

As of Sept 2010 all Native Instruments synths were 64bit Native
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/native_ins ... ents_14914
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

samsam wrote:_Currently using 32 bit
_Soon making the change to 64 bit
_Will have to bridge a couple of old faves
_Won't buy any new plugs that are not 64 bit
_Didn't vote as none of the options really matched my situation
Exactly the same for me. Will vote the top option, though it's not exact match.

- Mario

Return to “Instruments”