Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

switched to completely to 64bit on the first of january (as i started using live 64bit and it has no bridge) :D

Mister Natural wrote:my(modest) understanding is that unless you're recording an big band with 64+ seperate audio tracks; 64 bit is completely un-nessacary

as Alfred E. Newman always says, "what; me worry ?"

peace
It really depends if you use memory heavy plug-ins that load lots of samples into memory. The more memory one has the less disk streaming one needs, and a DAW can only address up to it's memory limitation (in 32bit this is 3 or 4 GB) but 64 bit is theoretically more than we'll need in our lifetime.

I had a DAW PC that had 4GB of RAM and this new one has 32GB of RAM. I use a 64 bit DAW to allow the memory heavy stuff to occur (even though I have yet to do any of it so I'm sort of of the same opinion as yourself in that regard).

I miss my 32 bit plug-ins but I won't bridge them for a few reasons:

1. It's a chance (and junkies need every excuse they can fathom) to kick/quit some other plug-ins that are not offered in 64 bit. It sucks because I love some of them but unless I have a good reason (like this bridging issue) I'll never part with them and quite honestly I have so many now I don't need them as much any more. I won't mention names because that's not cool. I'm not 100% sure I can resist making a few exceptions for key plug-ins though. And this is definitely a can't eat one chip out of the bag thing for me, all it takes is one chip and I'm going to devour all of them LOL.

2. It's a chance to think creatively with less available to do the same thing. The overlap I mention is because so many of the plug-ins do similar things but in different ways. I can take this opportunity to learn the 64 bit plug-ins much better, as there are fewer to learn but they can all be used similarly. I use Renoise and Live and so far the built-in effects have a great portion of every day needs covered so I don't even need plug-ins if I'm completely honest. I just love them :) and can't stop using some of them. Of course it is madness to presume that a plug-in like PERMUT8 could be translated into a Live rack with a modicum of success as that plug-in is complete magic and I positively adore it so there are those shining stars that I can focus on and fall back on the DAW native ones mostly. This gives me the placebo that I am doing things that are safer, more optimal, etc. but really all it does is make me more dependent on the DAW makers and make it a lot easier as I switch to a DAW native effect/instrument as it's less to manage (update, maintain, learn).

3. I'm not 100% sure that bridging will work with a few of these 32 bit plug-ins, and I know that one of the main ones I was using (the KORG microSTATION VST editor) definitely failed in jBridge (but I believe this is due to the proprietary USB connection it has to the hardware). TBH I have suffered so much time loss I don't care anymore about the path only the destination and so Live and Renoise have plenty on board to get me there. I think I'm spoiled for choice and own way too many things and the more things I mix up the more likely it is that things will break.

4. (and this is a big reason); I can have 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins installed separately in separate folders on my disk and have 32 bit versions of the DAW if I should ever absolutely need to work with the 32 bit only plug-ins I can load the 32 bit version of the DAW. My only dread about this is I intentionally omitted all 32 bit versions of the plug-ins when prompted by the installers after I upgraded to the new PC and so I'd have to re-install the plug-ins. Hence, only the absolute greatest 32 bit plug-ins are even going to be considered. As plug-ins get ported to 64 bit (read: Soundtoys) I will make an exception and re-install of course.

I will say that so far, 64 bit is identical to 32 bit, I have not noticed any improvements in how the plug-ins work with the CPU or load times in memory or anything like that (aside from the new CPU and faster RAM installed and SSD HDD the experience is identical to my 32 bit older DAW it just loads things a little faster because of the SSD really).

So that's my story :) I only buy plug-ins these days if they are x64 native and run on Windows 8. I don't care about mac anymore, I've renewed my vows with my PC love and do not regret it.

Ableton Live 9 64 bit beta with Max for Live 6 beta and Renoise 2.5.1 are my DAWs of choice. Renoise has an awesome native 32 bit bridge and I think they set the bar for what I expect of future DAWs. Aside from Ableton who have explicitly stated there will be no internal bridge, which is quite a slap in the face after seeing how awesome Renoise works with all plug-ins regardless of 32/64 bit, I think internal bridges should become the norm.

Renoise is a dream and getting better every day so maybe one day I can break my dependency and dump Ableton but it's not happening yet. I'm using Live less and less though as a result of this 32 bit bridge as some plug-ins I have installed didn't present a choice to omit the 32 bit version and are present already in Renoise.

I only buy x64 plugs. I've noticed issues with trying to bridge 32-bit plugs (crackling, and audio drops). It's disappointing, since there are some other company's plugs (mainly GForce) that I would like to buy, but they only are 32-bit for the time being.

Currently the only 32-bit plugs I have installed are a couple Korg Legacy ones, but hopefully once Korg goes 64-bit then I won't have to use bridging anymore.
Last edited by shponglefan on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheoM wrote:well after being told off for suggesting massey made a mistake in this day and age releasing a 32 bit plugin yesterday, it's nice to know i'm not totally insane and some people would agree with me. Thanks.
I agree with you. I can't fathom why anyone would do only 32-bit development in this day and age.

Almost rid of x86. Waiting on Synthedit and a few other native holdouts.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

shponglefan wrote:I only buy x64 plugs. I've noticed issues with trying to bridge 32-bit plugs (crackling, and audio drops). It's disappointing, since there are some other company's plugs (mainly GForce) that I would like to buy, but they only are 32-bit for the time being.

Currently the only 32-bit plugs I have installed are a couple Korg Legacy ones, but hopefully once Korg goes 64-bit then I won't have to use bridging anymore.
Both companies definitely would be a welcome addition to 64 bit. I was kind of shocked GForce plug-ins were not already, I just had this perception that they were super gurus and would be doing things like this in due course of DAW evolution trends. Korg too, especially shocking as they are so big and popular. I was stunned to find no 32 bit VST editor for microSTATION, which I hope they will address. I've heard rumors that the legacy plug-ins will be updated to 64 bit. One can hope :)

I do miss impOSCar :( That one is special.

Korg have confirmed legacy 64 officially grymmjack so at least for that, we are all set.

Agree on imposcar.

For me it's imposcar, korg and sylenth that i would really love as far as 64 bit synths are concerned.

with FX, i am not so worried, i have so many 64 bit ones that already cover everything, i think it's a dev's loss more than anything not doing 64 bit versions, not mine, we are so spoilt for choice.

shponglefan wrote:
TheoM wrote:well after being told off for suggesting massey made a mistake in this day and age releasing a 32 bit plugin yesterday, it's nice to know i'm not totally insane and some people would agree with me. Thanks.
I agree with you. I can't fathom why anyone would do only 32-bit development in this day and age.
Massey is used by and loved by many top Pro Tools users, and that has been their market. For Massey, the big win is probably to do the 32-bit code, the 32 bit VST was a nice addition nobody expected, and then they will likely finish and release the 32-bit version for Pro Tools. Maybe they have a way to use the 32-bit DSP code in VST and RTAS?

It's a good guess they will address 64 bit AAX and VST are coming, but since their very loyal user base is almost 100% Pro Tools 32-bit, this makes perfect $ sense for Massey.

On another note, how amazing is it that Massey has some of the best demo conditions of any plugin? You get the full plugin for free, you just have to do a manual settings recall like you are using hardware.

Massey has a reputation for making some amazing plugins. It's really cool to see that one day soon we'll be able to use these amazing plugins outside of Pro Tools.

TheoM wrote:Korg have confirmed legacy 64 officially...
:tu:

Can't wait to have my M1 x64.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

buy a plugin today that is already 2 operating systems behind....are you going to have something you will be able to use in 10 years time ?? I don't think so.
Anybody else got little used external harddrives littered with yesterdays dead software ??

Tomorrow today's plugin, running on yesterday and day before's operating system.

TheoM wrote:Korg have confirmed legacy 64 officially grymmjack so at least for that, we are all set.

Agree on imposcar.

For me it's imposcar, korg and sylenth that i would really love as far as 64 bit synths are concerned.

with FX, i am not so worried, i have so many 64 bit ones that already cover everything, i think it's a dev's loss more than anything not doing 64 bit versions, not mine, we are so spoilt for choice.
Sylenth is already 64 bit on PC.

yes but not all of us use windows LOL. Sylenth has been 64 on pc for 4 years, and is in never ending beta and not working (beta wise) properly on mac at all. heaps of gui problems. So use the non beta, and have memory leaks.

Basically, sylenth on mac, is only 32 bit, and sucks as a 32 bit plugin too.

The plugin bit count has little relevance for me. However, on the subject of smegma, I've found that it makes a wonderful guitar neck lubricant, significantly improving one's ability to slide easily into various positions. I'm very fortunate to have a readily available supply, as my daughter's lovely cougar friends save theirs up for me in small pump bottles. The strangest thing though, whenever I'm playing my guitar, I get this overwhelming craving for a fat, juicy clam steak. Go figure. :?

ok that was just totally gross, even for me. :lol:

I might be missing some thing here, so correct me if I'm wrong,

I can understand that some people would prefer using a 64bit version of a plug to allow for it to use extra memory. But why would any one NOT use a 32bit plug if it doesn't need any large memory at all. Plugins like Sylenth1, Diversion, Alpha,... etc don't need more than 4Gb, they only use a few mega bytes.

Return to “Instruments”