Are 64 bit native plugins of importance to you

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How important are 64 bit native plugins for you personally?

I only use and buy 64 bit native plugins
43%
I only use and buy 32 bit plugins
13%
I prefer 64 bit but will use a bridge if necessary
26%
I really don't care i will use either
15%
I prefer smegma
2%

Total votes: 247

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use only 64bit now and is really the native format.

I use jbridge and whilist works well I much prefer 64bit native.

Only plugins Im waiting for 64bit support but work fine with jbridge :

Variety of sound (although I have now purchased licenses these are becoming retired but much loved)
Soundtoys (works great with jBridge)
Kushaudio ubk1 and clariphonic
Waldorf PPG3 (not expecting this to go 64bit again bridges nicely)
Korg legacy collection (forum rumours of 64bit in the pipeline despite previous announcments - brilliant)
Eventide and I am not buying anymore of there's until 64bit is released.

Cubase 7x64 Win7x64

electro wrote:64bit DAWs started trickling out 5 years ago, but the x64 OS were still behind x86
Uhm... the first x64 consumer Windows came out in 2003.
It was a cut-down Server version.

That's a decade of x64 for Windows.
To think that some developers still don't deem it necessary to follow... :shrug:
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Kinda surprised by the results... I didn't think it mattered that much to so many.

It doesn't to me... I'm not saying it never will, but I have never yet reached the limits of 32 bit.

MFXxx wrote:Kushaudio ubk1 and clariphonic
There's now a public beta of UBK-1 64-bit, if you didn't know already.

jensa wrote:

that's great news. Finally i can check this out!

debra1rlo wrote:
TheoM wrote:prepare to gag.
not always, one does build up a tolerance. ;)
That is just so wrong on so many levels :lol:

:hihi:

Mister Natural wrote:my(modest) understanding is that unless you're recording an big band with 64+ seperate audio tracks; 64 bit is completely un-nessacary

as Alfred E. Newman always says, "what; me worry ?"

peace
Hi Mister Natural, the thing is, i am far from a band, just a guy in bed on his laptop,. but i do like lush sounds. my lappy has 8gb only and in 32 bit mode, a few nice omnisphere patches for example and it's game over. 64 helps but really i find 16gb ram to be the bare minimum to run standard amounts of the latest and greatest sample based vi's.

64 bit is of no real consequence to those not using sample based stuff heavily. But some of the best sounds IMO are sample based.

especially when it comes to strings and pads, and of course, acoustic basses.

Kaboom75 wrote:
electro wrote:64 bit OS are standard in 2013.
You still need a 64bit DAW though with Live 8 and 9 now 64bit that's a big chunk of the plugin market now also demanding 64bit plugs. Still more DAWs to change to 64bit yet. Ableton Live wasn't the first.
Live and S1 don't have a bit bridge.. on mac particularly, this is an issue.. contrary to what many think, there are a lot of mac users too.. and those who use it use logic (mostly). Logic is dropping all 32 bit support in next version and will be lion + only. (all rumours but from my reliable sources.. i knew cubase was having asio guard years ago, from a reliable source, point is, my sources are reliable)..

If apple got off their asses and released logic X, you would see a very quick hurry up in many devs suddenly making 64 bit versions of their plugins. logic has a significant impact on the plug in marketplace. It's a formidable force. I hope apple does it soon, so some devs can get off their asses (2c audio a perfect example..been working on 64 bit versions for 2 years, never heard such bs in my life).

TheoM wrote:
jensa wrote:

that's great news. Finally i can check this out!
Fantastic news checking out now - hopefully have the preset listing resovled :)

peace
:love:

cryophonik wrote:
The biggest advantage of 64-bit for music production is that it overcomes the 4-GB RAM limitation of 32-bit OS's. This is important for people who use many/large sample libraries, which can eat up 4 GB or more of RAM very quickly.

This pretty much sums up the why, media composers need 64bit ...and there are a lot of composers about these days & others working with large sample libraries.

Not everyone uses Reaktor drones & a few synths + some vengeance kick drums to make there tracks lol. :x

cheers.

Here I am:

- I run my daw (Logic) at 64 bit, so plugins need to be 64 bit compatible.
- I still run some 32 bit plugins which I already own, but only if I really need them.
- I won't add to my daw any new software (either commercial or freeware) that has no 64 bit support, as I want to minimize the 32 bit legacy I'll have to deal with (it's realistic to think there will be a day when 32 bit support will be dropped).

now that korg is releasing, for real, the legacy as 64 bit, besides sylenth, and a few fx plugins, there is really nothing that isn't 64 bit that i can think of that's of any importance anyway. Having a totally 64 bit workstation is a very viable option these days.

TheoM wrote:prepare to gag.

let's just say it's a smart ass play on the word fish.

Squished fish...

I really could care less. Whatever works on both my under-powered and regular computers is fine by me. :) :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I only use 64bit plug-ins.Not very keen on bridging.
I wonder if the developers that haven't gone 64bit yet are losing trade?

well after being told off for suggesting massey made a mistake in this day and age releasing a 32 bit plugin yesterday, it's nice to know i'm not totally insane and some people would agree with me. Thanks.

Return to “Instruments”