Can just any sampler do this or is it unique to rayblaster?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stillshaded wrote:
came here to say Harmor can do this..
Not the first time this was mentioned. Examples ?

UPDATE:
Just installed the Harmor demo. First i thought it could only import single cycles but the i found you could import samples by drag & drop. Currently the result is a "clean" playback of the sample without many special things. Will have to check it more now.

UPDATE:

Here is the first example of Harmor using the same sample as i used in Alchemy and doing Mowheel modulation of the start time ("Time" parameter in the IMG section):

Harmor - LetsPartyTonight - MW 1

comparable examples from Rayblaster and Alchemy:

LetMeSeeYouMove - MW Mod 1

Alchemy - LetsPartyTonight - MW 1

Alchemy - LetsPartyTonight - Sampler - MW 1

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Here's another attempt at similar process via granulation. It's a bit unwieldly, and the automation could be tidier. Automating sample position, grain transposition, and grain frequency. Grain length is locked to the grain frequency. You can hear that the grain frequency determines pitch when it's repeating grains at audio rates. The grain transposition essentially becomes a formant control when you're dealing with such fast grain onsets. I'm convinced that a more sophisticated version of this type of granulation (i.e. with judicious parameter linking/control/modulation) is behind the Rayblaster engine. http://soundcloud.com/chqtestsubjects/rayclone

cron wrote:Here's another attempt at similar process via granulation. It's a bit unwieldly, and the automation could be tidier. Automating sample position, grain transposition, and grain frequency. Grain length is locked to the grain frequency. You can hear that the grain frequency determines pitch when it's repeating grains at audio rates. The grain transposition essentially becomes a formant control when you're dealing with such fast grain onsets. I'm convinced that a more sophisticated version of this type of granulation (i.e. with judicious parameter linking/control/modulation) is behind the Rayblaster engine. http://soundcloud.com/chqtestsubjects/rayclone
Interesting but seems sounding different to the example in the OP and also different my examples but maybe close to the Alchemy Granular examples.

From your first example i did not really get which synth/plugin you used for this.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The first example was an old patch (Singin in the Fog) for a CSound front-end called Cecilia. Probably about 10 years old. The second was made in Hourglass which is pretty much just a more modern version of the same thing. Both are offline processes though, not plug-ins. Hourglass is free. Highly recommended.

The first example I posted sounds better simply because I spent more time on it I think! Drew all the envelopes by hand etc. The second was just a bunch of (slightly edited) randomised envelopes on the parameters.

Here's some harmor wanking. Just mucking about for 3 minutes with no particular purpose.

It's a sample of a Jamaican dude saying "music is the food of love"

I modulated start time, formant, speed, a little of the harmonizer, and a little of the prism effect.

http://soundcloud.com/sti11sh-ded/harmor-vox-shite-2

Ace examples guys!!

Part of my post was really to determine what other tools out there will give me some crazy manipulation like RB. It's nice to hear different engines working.

I really liked the Harmor demo and then Cron's example is really cool too.

Does make me appreciate RB a bit more actually, it's pretty amazing how easy it is to do things like this in it.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:Ace examples guys!!

Part of my post was really to determine what other tools out there will give me some crazy manipulation like RB. It's nice to hear different engines working.

I really liked the Harmor demo and then Cron's example is really cool too.

Does make me appreciate RB a bit more actually, it's pretty amazing how easy it is to do things like this in it.
The long-awaited 1.3 beta of Hourglass (which I used to create the second example, but it's capable of everything in the first example too) came out today so there's never been a better time to give it a whirl. Possibly the most underrated software around right now. I can only assume it's received such little attention (bar a few ecstatic followers like myself) because it doesn't run as a plug-in. It's one of those pieces of software that reveals more and more depth and functionality the more you use it. Thread here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 40#5218740

ThomasHelzle wrote: Your peculiar way to communicate in a very paternalist and absolute way makes the reader feel attacked and actually bullied, even if you may not be aware of it.
And that is the problem - in my view - you are actually very rude.

Just take this sentence: "Before finding an answer to the question "which synth could do the same" first it must be explored what Rayblaster is capable of".
Why MUST this be explored? If it is of interest to you, just do it, but why the imperative?

This is about music and sound, there is no right or wrong in this, especially not on KVR.

Tom
Thanks Tom for your insightful and thoughtful comments...

+1

Aiynzahev wrote: I really liked the Harmor demo and then Cron's example is really cool too.

RB is excellent for this sort of stuff... It sounds good almost all of the time under heavy manipulation. It has a particular sonic character, but it is pleasing (to me at least)...

pdxindy wrote:

+1
Your reply sounds like he actually knows me which is not the case. i only really know him from his comments about me. Our only real "contact" besides this thread seemed to be two comments i made about his posts in the first Rayblaster thread and it looks he did not reply to those. So much about "insightful" (thoughtful maybe yes...).
I also mentioned he could discuss such things with PMs and not in the public.

Opposing to what he mentioned in his posts i guess i have offered several "on topic" contributions to this thread (especially at the last pages) and also moved my other demos to the other Rayblaster thread.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Aiynzahev wrote:
Indeed. At my Rayblaster examples at page 4 i showed that once you turn off e.g. the "Sync" and/or "BPM" switches in the oscillator section the result does sound far from "usual" sample playback. Also the modulation of the start phase with different modulation sources like e.g. a LFO with different parameters (waveshape and/or speed), the envelopes and the Arp steps could lead to interesting results like also shown those examples at page 4.

My own conclusion is that it was fun to try the same kind of stuff with other synths like e.g. Alchemy and also one with the Harmor demo version but at the end i guess i'll stay with Rayblaster for this kind of stuff.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

pdxindy wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote: Your peculiar way to communicate in a very paternalist and absolute way makes the reader feel attacked and actually bullied, even if you may not be aware of it.
And that is the problem - in my view - you are actually very rude.

Just take this sentence: "Before finding an answer to the question "which synth could do the same" first it must be explored what Rayblaster is capable of".
Why MUST this be explored? If it is of interest to you, just do it, but why the imperative?

This is about music and sound, there is no right or wrong in this, especially not on KVR.

Tom

+1
nor pdxindy or ThomasHelzle posted useful comments for the OP !
what is the point of your posts ?
what is your sig about ?
your sig does not even respect kvr rules :x
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44705
and you want to give lessons :shock:
i will not follow this thread anymore because you are bullying !
it's sad because Ingo posted very interesting sound example made with alchemy, harmor and rayblaster dedicating some time for the OP

*deleted*
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

I'm sorry that I added to your feeling of uncomfort.
I'll leave you in peace.

Best regards,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:I'm sorry that I added to your feeling of uncomfort.
I'll leave you in peace.
I just sent a PM to you.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”