Can just any sampler do this or is it unique to rayblaster?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasHelzle wrote:

BTW:
What is the problem with you rayblaster evangelists? Why do you feel it necessary to iterate five million times how great it is and how unrivalled? I'm sure it's cool but why that overprotectionism?
If you were involved with Rayblaster from the start during Beta testing, creating waveforms for it from scratch, by doing tons of single cycles of other synths and finally creating around 160+ presets and then audio demos you would be a bit "overprotective" too maybe.

The combination of ALL features in Rayblaster still seems to be quite unique. Two examples are the Osc windows and the PW sequences. Picking out a few and saying that this other synth is similar to Rayblaster is not correct IMO.

For example Harmor is based on an additive engine and Rayblaster is not. That's already a big difference. Then Harmor does include a certain amount of filter modes. Rayblaster does create the filter response based on the waveform you "feed" into it which could either lead to something like an emulation or lead to some crazy "fantasy filters" with big changes in the timbre while turning the Formant knob.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

pdxindy wrote: Useful maybe, but it never actually emulates even a basic LPF... it can sound kinda like a LPF over a short range but that is it... It is a different thing altogether and (imo) should be appreciated for what it is, not presented as something it isn't
I tried to explain thise here a while ago (using screenshots and audio demos):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=765

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am, edited 9 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

ThomasHelzle wrote: BTW:
What is the problem with you rayblaster evangelists? Why do you feel it necessary to iterate five million times how great it is and how unrivalled? I'm sure it's cool but why that overprotectionism? Some people like it, others don't and the op actually asked if other synths/samplers can do something similar to the posted example.
And the answer is simply "Yes, many".

Just cool down a bit, won't you?
Breathe.

It's really getting annoying.
Agreed.

Ingonator wrote: The combination of ALL features in Rayblaster still seems to be quite unique. Two examples are the Osc windows and the PW sequences. Picking out a few and saying that this other synth is similar to Rayblaster is not correct IMO.
but the question was about specific features, which are available in many other synth/samplers.

*edited*
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
Ingonator wrote: The combination of ALL features in Rayblaster still seems to be quite unique. Two examples are the Osc windows and the PW sequences. Picking out a few and saying that this other synth is similar to Rayblaster is not correct IMO.
but the question was about specific features, which are available in many other synth/samplers.
I posted several demos above which show a nice selection of possible timbres for Rayblaster.

Ingo
but they have absolutely no connection to the ops question.

vurt wrote:
Sure they have. They show how broad the spectrum of possible timbres of Rayblaster is. For one example it would be possible to find a synth that does them but for ALL of those it is more difficult so those are directly related to the OP...

One type of synth that comes to my mind is a wavetable synth like e.g. Largo but that one will have problems doing granular style sounds.
Then there is Alchemy but that one could have problems with the wavetable like sounds and maybe also some others.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
Sure they have. They show how broad the spectrum of possible timbres of Rayblaster is. For one example it would be possible to find a synth that does them but for ALL of those it is more difficult so those are directly related to the OP...
that wasnt the question:
Aiynzahev wrote:Not trying to spam but I'd just really like to know if you guys have found this kind of sample manipulation in other samplers

http://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/raybla ... -brilliant

The sample is just a girl going "Hey, hey" and the guy says "don't stop, party rock"

Thing is as far as I remember all thats happening here is the modwheel is changing the start position in the sample and the sample is being looped in some way.

I'd have to take a look at the patches again because I forget what was going on now.

Also anyone here got the Roland V-synth? Does it do stuff like this?

Sami

Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
that wasnt the question:
Aiynzahev wrote:Not trying to spam but I'd just really like to know if you guys have found this kind of sample manipulation in other samplers

The sample is just a girl going "Hey, hey" and the guy says "don't stop, party rock"

Thing is as far as I remember all thats happening here is the modwheel is changing the start position in the sample and the sample is being looped in some way.

I'd have to take a look at the patches again because I forget what was going on now.

Sami
Hi Kriminal,

still posting on Tone2 thread? We both know that you hardly find a good word for those...

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

its not a tone2 thread, its a kvr instruments forum thread, asking if anything other than rayblaster can do something specific.
are you saying that no other sampler can do what the op asked?

most sample players (probably all, i havent used them all) can do the specific things asked about.

there was no "so what sounds is rayblaster capable of?" there was a specific question, which your audio demos in no way answer.

Ingonator wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:
that wasnt the question:

Sami
Hi Kriminal,

still posting on Tone2 thread? We both know that you hardly find a good word for those...

Is posting a bunch of audio demos for Rayblaster be wrong to show how Rayblaster sounds? BTW the first ones were not published before and i also never collected all those demos at one place.

Ingo
vurt answered your question for me :wink:

vurt wrote:its not a tone2 thread, its a kvr instruments forum thread, asking if anything other than rayblaster can do something specific.
That's not the question. I gave examples about what Rayblaster is able to and that's all. Others could draw their conclusions.

Besides that Rayblaster is no typical "sampler". It could use single cycles, short samples or import samples with the Resynthesis feature but i would not call it a sampler. A sampler also usually includes fixed filter models. Rayblaster creates filter responses based on the waveforms that are used with it.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
vurt wrote:its not a tone2 thread, its a kvr instruments forum thread, asking if anything other than rayblaster can do something specific.
That's not the question.
that was exactly the question
Ingonator wrote: I gave examples about what Rayblaster is able to and that's all. Others could draw their conclusions.
why? the OP didnt ask for any and the ones you gave are not relevant to his question
Ingonator wrote:
I just offered those demos as a basis for the discussion so we don't have to discuss based on a single example. That's all.

his question was based on that single example, your soundbites have nothing to do with his question

Ingonator wrote: Rayblaster is a piece of crap
Ingo
no one said it was a piece of crap, we just pointed out that yes, many other things can do what the op asked for.
are you suggesting that nothing else can do what the op asked for?

Return to “Instruments”