One-Synth-Challenge 48: Voyager - Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time to vote for your top 5 tracks. All tracks are here.

RULES:
- Give 5 points to the track you think is best, 4 for second, then 3, 2 and 1.
- Voting is open to anyone.
- Last day for voting is 15th February (KVR time).
- If you have entered in the competition, you must vote to be eligible for prizes.
- No voting for yourself.
- Voters must have had 20 prior forum posts before the competition start (new rule), or have participated in this month's contest.
- In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 5 pts they got, then 4 pts and so on.

HOW TO VOTE:
You should allocate your votes, in a single post, in this thread ... something like this:

5 pts: Artist zxy - Track zxy
4 pts: Artist xqy - Track xqy
3 pts: Artist zyx - Track zyx
2 pts: Artist zqx - Track zqx
1 pt: Artist qzx - Track qzx

NOTE:
Reviews, however brief, are always welcome. Even if you can only find the time to add a short comment, then please do! ...it keeps the thread alive and encourages others to listen/vote.
Last edited by V'ger on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saukar30 - Viajero
5 Points.

bzur - Darker than Black
4 Points.

Key 88 - 201201 00Voyager
3 Points.

Kraftraum - Rotation 12
2 Points.

RuediRena - Xelpha 1
1 Point.

withdrew votes cause just figured I'm not allowed to vote according to >20 posts rule :(

Great competition outcome, enjoyed listening very much!

EDITED
Of course there are no real losers here. All of the songs sound fantastic!

I usually use samples for most of music, 9 time sout fo 10. Participating in this contest & listening to you guys & gals here has really opened my mind on getting more usage out of the free synths that I have (808s & drum machines were originally synths anyways LOL).

I hate just choosing 5, but rules are rules:

Pedalsteeldrummer: binary dreams
Nice drums, vinyl & Jamiroqui sound! The gun fight & clavinet solo at the end are phenomenonal. Lovely song!

Broad Halls Of Yeast - Holy Bat Boobies
The sounds are really metallic, but the pads & groove of this makes everything smooth. The noisy lead just really grabs my attention each time (That's the bat in the boobies I guess LOL). I had a hard time deciding between this one and the other track by Broad Halls of Yeast, as that one is an ear catcher as well.

Photonic - Orbit
The arrangement on this song is spectacular! I love how it starts off as a apollo 13 epic then takes us through a time warp to the 80's. This songs really shows off the potential of Voyager AND Photonic.

Bzur - Darker Than Black
This song gets me everytime & appeals to my trip-hop infascination so much. I keep waiting for a Beth Gibbons to appear & tell me of a troubling love that made her heart feel balc as coal. How every sound fits together is nicely done.

Loris D Solic - I don't speak robot
1 word... Vocoder.... Vocoder, Vocoder! Amazing use of this piece of the synth. This brings the power of the voyager to the forefront.

Great job by everyone who made songs for this contest! It was difficult for me to decide. Keep up the good work! I'm play all of these songs on my phone & jam on my headphones while I'm dreaming of attending the Cannabis Cup this year in Denver LOL
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

5 pts: Quaoar - The Voyage
My no-brainer favorite. Simple, clean, logic, solid, epic, cinematic. And that killing retro feeling.

Thereafter it's been really difficult to chose; so many awesome compositions in totally different genres, that it drove me crazy.

4 pts: Broad Halls of Yeast - Holy Bat Boobies
Intricate arrangement, great production, beautiful ethnic impregnations. The music is deep and relaxing and at the same time tight and tense. The only thing I subjectively couldn't agree with is the over-compression, which feels too much for such a complex arrangement.

3 pts: bzur - Darker than black
Mesmerizing "outer space/parallel universe" sound, haven't heard anything similar for years, so inventive and fascinating that I'm having hard times trying to categorize the genre, though it somewhere in between trip-hop and easy listening.

2 pts: Ricler - Carrousel
What a beautiful piece of music! Didn't see it coming. Witty, masterful implementation. Well done.

1 pts: Thrax - Out Of The Void
The big synth sound is back. An ideal soundtrack for a hero movie.

Needless to say, that the other tracks aren't worse, it's just the way how a competition works.

Thank you everyone.

Mikhail

Moldavsky wrote:5 pts: Quaoar - The Voyage
My no-brainer favorite. Simple, clean, logic, solid, epic, cinematic. And that killing retro feeling.

Thereafter it's been really difficult to chose; so many awesome compositions in totally different genres, that it drove me crazy.

4 pts: Broad Halls of Yeast - Holy Bat Boobies
Intricate arrangement, great production, beautiful ethnic impregnations. The music is deep and relaxing and at the same time tight and tense. The only thing I subjectively couldn't agree with is the over-compression, which feels too much for such a complex arrangement.

3 pts: bzur - Darker than black
Mesmerizing "outer space/parallel universe" sound, haven't heard anything similar for years, so inventive and fascinating that I'm having hard times trying to categorize the genre, though it somewhere in between trip-hop and easy listening.

2 pts: Ricler - Carrousel
What a beautiful piece of music! Didn't see it coming. Witty, masterful implementation. Well done.

1 pts: Thrax - Out Of The Void
The big synth sound is back. An ideal soundtrack for a hero movie.

Needless to say, that the other tracks aren't worse, it's just the way how a competition works.

Thank you everyone.

Mikhail
Many thanks for your vote, Mikhail!
Ricler

soundcloud.com/richard-clermont

I had some dull admin work to do, so the OSC entries were the perfect backdrop to lift the mood and keep me from dozing off :)

I tried scoring tracks for Sound Design/Musical Interest/Production/Do I Like It?, with shootouts between similarly rated tracks. I think this stopped me just choosing things that took my fancy, and it proved quite easy to come up with a top 5, so here they are:

Photonic - Orbit: 5pts
Multiple chords, a modulation or two, use of the pitch bend: you easily passed the low bar onto my shortlist. Might not have been 100% to my taste, but it was so accomplished that the 5 point slot was immediately filled.

Thrax - Out Of The Void: 4pts
Just all-round well done, and the mix sounded pretty good even on my rubbishy desktop speakers. Reminded me of Delerium a bit.

pedalsteeldrummer - Binary Dreams: 3pts
Neat and funky, just what I needed. Possibly drifted off rather than lifting to the next level after 3 mins.

QuadrupleA - Unfinished Homesick Alien: 2pts
Nice sounds, interesting mix of percussion and retro. Short but sweet.

bzur - Darker than black: 1pt
Loved the trip-hop vibe, perhaps got too muddy and over-busy in parts. When the ideas are good, less is more!

Close Calls: Kraftraum, RuediRena, Broad Halls of Yeast
Honorable Mentions: Quaoar, Saukar30, Ricler, cactoos

Any criticisms are purely constructive and entirely humble - anyone who enters gets my applause!
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

2cts inbound!

5pt - Broad Halls of yeast - Wet Noodle
Synth Voice - very cool, particularly the stuttering staccato bits.

4pt - bzur - darker than black
It's like vangelis making love to Steve Miller.
Dig the percussion programming.

3pt - gorgorgathgorgor - The Voyage
What the hell kind of name is gorgorgathgorgor?
Minimalism is hard to do.
Wasn't into it at first but you won me over by the end.

2pt - PedalSteelDrummer - Binary Dreams
Always good stuff from pedalsteeldrummer.
Feels like some forgotten 70's alien resort.
Richard D James probably hangs out there.

1pt - Loris D Solic - I don't speak robot
Great build, great delayed payoff - great early 80's vibe. :D

Hi,

First let me say thank you so much for the points and especially nice comments so far!

5 points: Thrax - Out Of The Void
Groovy, good sound design, nice lead melody and a good mix. What else can you ask for? A real feel good track.

4 points: Broad Halls of Yeast - Holy Bat Boobies
A quite mystic track with some brutal FX. For me the best part is the end with the brassy lead sound.

3 points: pedalsteeldrummer - Binary Dreams
A nice jazzy track. The arrangement is most of the track very reduced, but this is good in its way and is making room for the sounds. With more variety in the lead it would be more top of my list.

2 points: QuadrupleA - Unfinished Homesick Alien
What a begin with this perfect percussion sound! Good sound design. I like those metallic sounds.

1 point: Skyzone-Ti Amo
A good track to relax. Soft and easy to listen.

Photonic
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Hey all - here are my top picks this month - had a real hard time ranking these 5, they're all pretty equal in my book, so sorry for those who ended up lower on the list:

5 pts: Photonic - Orbit

Impeccable mixing, sound design and composition - had a nice 80's feel, sort of like an old cop/detective show like one of the commentors mentioned. Really impressive work.

4 pts: Ricler - Carousel

I like it when something comes out of left field, that you wouldn't expect in a synth contest - this one fit that bill. Didn't sound synthesized at all amazingly, really sounded like an old carousel organ song. I didn't realize until 3/4 through that the panning was to simulate going in circles - nice touch :).

3 pts: Thrax - Out of the Void

Great percussion and mixing on this one, and musical buildup - really liked it. Hints of Kraftwerk and Jean Michel Jarre. Nice pads, reverb & ambience.

2 pts: Skyzone - Ti Amo

Fabrizio's got a really defined style, which I admire. I can hear it in all the tracks I've listened to so far, very sci-fi and clean - reminds me of hovering above the atmosphere of some blue planet. Enjoyed this track and Bits & Bytes a lot.

1 pt: Captain Dan - Memory

Really nice groove, had me doing the chair-dance. Nice talky-robotic sequences - this and Loris D. Solic's track inspired me to look into formant-filtering and learn a bit about it - hope to use that in future projects.

-
Here's my votes

5pts ClaRago-3rd Class Ticket - really nice pads and dreamy athmosphere
4pts cactoos - cztery fazy zmroku - great 50's pop vibe dreamscape
3pts Key88-201201 00Voyager - cool jazzy vibe
2pts RuediRena - Xehpa 1 - slippery slidy rubbery fun
1pt Broad Halls of Yeast - Holy Bat Boobies nice sound and sound design

All the entries sounded good. Voyager is a great sounding synth.

Nick
_

5 pts- Quaoar -The Voyage
A very nice work

4 pts- QuadrupleA -Unfinished jomesick Alien
Don't like this kind of music, but i really liked the sounds

3 pts- Photonic - Orbit
It captures nice the feeling and it is well played

2 pts- Skyzone - Ti Amo
High quality sounds and mix

1 pt -Ricler - Carrousel
I liked the idea. It should be a little faster

Excellent submissions from everyone.Not a single track from which I could not extract some pleasure, interest and sometimes surprises.

5 pts Ricler - Carrousel
Perfectly crafted project. I love the theme , the sounds ,everything. Please , Richard, turn this into a song ; write or get someone to write some words to this with a simple melody.
It would be fantastic.
4 pts Bzur- Darker ...
Nice to hear you stepping out of your genre.Plenty of nice little details in the development of this (not so) dark piece.
3pts Ruedirena- Xepha 1
Makes me think of some interstellar farting competition between aliens à la Mel Brooks ( Blazing Saddles). Extremely enjoyable.
2 pts Kraftraum -Rotation 12
My favourite rotation so far , some good rock heavy sounds , great pads & fab arps.
1 pt Photonic-Orbit
A fireworks of sounds & effects. Brilliant demonstration of Voyager possibilities.

HM to all the others , named or not:
Cactoos for his cool Vangelian track, Moldawsky for his crankiness, Nikp2000 for his lovely intro, BHY for 2 really funky entries, & so on...

Hi, this my votes:

5 points: Pedalsteeldrummer - Binary Dreams

4 points: Nikp2000 - fluid afternoons

3 points: Broad Halls of Yeast - Holy Bat Boobies

2 points: Gorgorgathgorgorgor - The Voyage

1 point: Thrax - Out Of The Void

Cheese,
Ricler

soundcloud.com/richard-clermont

Lots of great music again this month, as usual it is almost impossible to narrow it down to five but here's my votes:

5 pts - Photonic - Orbit
4 pts - Pedalsteeldrummer - Binary Dreams
3 pts - Thrax - Out of the void
2 pts - Kraftraum - Rotation 12
1 pt - Quaoar - The Voyage

Return to “Instruments”