alternative like dr rex? **FOUND** GEIST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:ok.. geist isn't for me.. i can already do a better job for my particular needs by previewing the apple loop in perfect sync, then right click and turn it into a logic sliced sampler file with the doctor rex functions.. it's like turning it into logic's own type of rex file..

it's just more steps, that's all, i just wanted the convenience of using perfectly sliced rex files as are with no changes.

Dr Rex did this. every time.
Geist is overall excellent software... the slicer is quite good...

but I never use Rex files... sure seems to me that if the rex file has slice points, that it should be trivial for Geist to get them right every time. It is not like any guesswork is needed!

well, it doesn't. Dr Rex does.

props should sell vsti versions of their devices,that would end this madness. i too am looking for a similar option,but nothings even close.

it will never happen.. their answer would be to rewire into the host.. FWIW.. i think the rex handing in reason is so damn intuitive, it is worth rewiring just for that. (personal opinion)

I do miss the "never crashed a single time from install to de install" also. That was unique.

But i don't miss the RE high cpu or lack of pdc, or limited midi compared to logic.

still it's great software with a nice bunch of people that i would happily recommend to any friends

You know, reason is the only software in doing music since i was 19 (40 now) that i have ever missed and gotten used to so quickly.. apart form logic which is my life force where music is concerned. I actually really miss the little bugger. it's kind of sad, cause i could have had the best of both worlds, but money was so tight at that specific time and i blew it. Oh well, we live and learn.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheoM wrote:well, it doesn't.
exactly... and it seems like it should be easy to do so...

pdxindy wrote:
But isn't that incredibly stupid? that's the thing, all these releases later and i can't believe it doesn't.

The rex format is probably not very popular except among Reason users, otherwise it would be supported by Geist and other similar VSTi's.

Just my 2 cents.

Maybe Dr. Rex is against the development of new software with REX support. I'm searching for a good REX sampler for a long time, and I haven't found anything, either. When I load a REX file in REAPER, I have all the slices available, but it's very arduous to re-arrange all of them in the track to create new loops...so I avoid working with them at the moment as I don't have Dr. Rex or ReCycle.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Maybe Dr. Rex is against the development of new software with REX support.
Maybe has has the patent on it. :D

Ah well, nevermind, i just saw the subject is that Geist isn't able to slice rex files correctly, not that it doesn't supports them. Sorry.

Dr. Geist and Dr. Rex should cooperate... :D :hihi:

TheoM wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
But isn't that incredibly stupid? that's the thing, all these releases later and i can't believe it doesn't.

The folks at Fxpansion are not stupid, so I suspect that either it is not a priority, or there is some proprietary reason we don't know about.

I hear people mentioning Rex files less than some years back. Perhaps there are fewer requests than there used to be.

Good luck

Well when sliced with precision, rex are the absolute best format of loops to work with.. the amount of tempo changing and pitching idid with no audible loss was amazing.. if people just autoslice then yeah, they suck..

so geist kind of defeats the purpose of the hard word that for example prime loops go through to hand slice, or big fish audio's in house label, zero-g, etc.

Sorry but rex is advertised as a feature on almost every drum sampler.. look at motu, stylus for example.

i will check out stylus i must admit.. never used it properly.

can it sync rex to tempo in preview playback?

Don't know if this is any help for anyone with Geist... I do not have a Rex files to even check the accuracy

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73211

Does Phatmatik Pro do Rex files? I have it, maybe I should check... but I know the original little free one did.
You have to use the built-in browser for preview, but they do play in sync.
I know it's an older plugin, so no 64bit; but, being an older plugin usually means better CPU efficiency. I would give it a shot. I bought it from BitShift, but Izotope owns it now.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/phatmatik/
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Maschine can import rex files. But well, thats hardware and software. I love my maschine.

Return to “Instruments”