alternative like dr rex? **FOUND** GEIST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi theo,

There is a setting that effects the behavior you're talking about. There are 2 different slicing modes. In one, it will recreate the loop exactly by loading the slices to the layers of each pad.. 8 layers x 8 pads = up to 64 slices. in the other mode it will only fill 16 pads (not using layers) and fudge the pattern a little. I'm away from the computer so I can't check right now, but I think this setting is called "use layers for slicing" or something.

sorry for any typos, I'm on my iPhone. hope this helps.

EDIT: that are 16 pads not 8... so you can have up to 128 slices.
Last edited by stillshaded on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ok still shaded, that could be it! i am checking into it right now.. hope geist lite has that setting, otherwise i'll need to grab the full geist demo :) BRB.

Assignment modes?

Ok it seemed that was it.. "use layers"

will test a couple of hundred loops, will only take a few minutes, from different sample libraries, and BRB and see if this was it, which would mean indeed it was user error :dog:

Thanks so much stillshaded..

ps under transient detection mode, do you know what "classify" means?

TheoM wrote:
ps under transient detection mode, do you know what "classify" means?

Geist will make a guess what type of sound it is... kick, snare, hats or percussion... and organize them on the pads accordingly

ahh ok thank you.

drum loops seem ok so far, so now the real test.. melodix rex loops.

GREAT NEWS! it was the layers button all along. the loops that were auditioning funky are now correct. and furthermore, i know it is reading the ORIGINAL rex slice markers, as sensitivity setting doesn't change anything :)

if a wave loop however, sensitivity definitely works.

GREAT!

thanks everyone so much for their help in this one.. what a nong i was to ever sell this last year :dog:

:idiot:

:smack:

Can't believe i just got geist for $99.50 from JRR

($99 at audio deluxe but i prefer auto delivery, and wow, 50c :hihi:)

I LOVE jrr's new auto delivery on certain products (you know if it hasn't got it as they say so before purchase)

Registering and authorizing right now..

ok, BYE BYE CC :hihi:

I really didn't want to load it anymore, oh well :hihi:

I mean, i got both synth squad and geist for $199 exactly. You gotta admit that's insane.

Oh, and thanks fxpansion, and i feel in my conscience we are even now :)
Cheers!

:tu:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Glad to hear you got that sorted!!! :)

Geist is fantastic for sampling... I make my own kits without a second thought... it used to be tedious enough that the task would give me pause. Now I will make a kit from my own drum/percussion presets from my favorite synths in no time at all... and the kits consistently sound as good as commercial stuff, and I attribute that to the excellent workflow of Geist (not any great skill on my part) so that I do not get tired of working on something before I am really satisfied with the result.

I remember when hardware samplers were first popular and how much people were into them... Geist makes me understand the fun of sampling cause it is so easy

I don't have any hardware left to sample but that would be such a blast..

One day when i am well again i might get some classic drum machines and do a bit of that.. would be a hoot.

Interestingly, every single pad in reason's redrum had an on the spot live sample options, and not just redrum, some other stuff too..

I think as a total *package*, between Kong, Murder and Dr Rex, reason has the whole ITB rhythms thing totally licked as it is out of factory.

But geist, now that the features are ungreyed, seems pretty damn fun.

I just found some analogue expansion in my account, i think there was a get it for free month for that or something.. but nice to have some extra sounds...

I'll wait till the next xpander 50% sale which happens often enough and get one or two. Can never have too many drums!

stillshaded wrote:Hi theo,

There is a setting that effects the behavior you're talking about. There are 2 different slicing modes. In one, it will recreate the loop exactly by loading the slices to the layers of each pad.. 8 layers x 8 pads = up to 64 slices. in the other mode it will only fill 16 pads (not using layers) and fudge the pattern a little. I'm away from the computer so I can't check right now, but I think this setting is called "use layers for slicing" or something.

sorry for any typos, I'm on my iPhone. hope this helps.
i just realized, many rex loops are over 64 slices.. some in dr rex wont play at all as it says they are over 97 or something (i guess 128)

i wonder if Geist would still at least play the first half.... hmmm..

Angus, maybe 128 a gr8 idea for an update?

You have 16 pads with 8 layers = 128 slices.

Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL96C ... age#t=172s

I don't have Geist yet, do you know when the sale ends?

oh, flawless. thanks JPRacer.. so ironically, the highest rex slices in any of my 10,000+ loops is 128.. so geist is better equipped than DR rex for this task.

I feel i made an amazing purchase today, and i almost stole it from fxpansion at that money.. crazy....

If anyone missed it, maybe i should post it in bargain topic, geist new for 99 bucks :shock:

Thanks again everyone for this great topic, i really appreciate the help and i wouldn't have made the decision without the guidance in this one, i'd still be saving for mach 5 or something :grin:

derp yeah.. there are 16 pads my bad!

anyways glad you got it sorted out!

Geist is a pretty awesome unit, I think you'll enjoy it. My only complaint about it is how it handles automation outside of the internal sequencer. It's kind of a pain, but I think most people use the internal sequencer and it works fantastically in that mode.

Return to “Instruments”