Sound Character Of Diva

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"It would require a significant addition to our serial number scheme, as there would need to be a serial for the bundle and one for each single plug."

I don't see the problem. The bundle is the price, not the copy protect. (I'm just speaking as an old sales head who would never want to bollix the sale because of configuration.)

If there's 3 pieces in the bundle, each piece gets its own copy protect same as if the user bought them individually.

It sounds like more of an order entry/order fulfillment thing.

daExpert wrote:I hear people rave about how awesome Diva is and I just don't see it. It's a nice synth but I feel that it has some weaknesses.
I'm totally with you. I've demoed Diva, and I thought the sound missed character. This is a synth that is just very uninspirational to me, since the sound is just..dead. Because of all the raving comments I tried and tried, but there was no click whatsoever.

I don't see it. It may be a good synth in many aspects, but I deleted it from my harddrive after 30 minutes.

Wishing everybody who clicks with it lots of fun.

Daan22 wrote: I'm totally with you. I've demoed Diva, and I thought the sound missed character. This is a synth that is just very uninspirational to me, since the sound is just..dead. Because of all the raving comments I tried and tried, but there was no click whatsoever.

I don't see it. It may be a good synth in many aspects, but I deleted it from my harddrive after 30 minutes.

Wishing everybody who clicks with it lots of fun.
I'm always interested to hear HOW people come by their opinions. Can you give an example of a synth that doesn't sound "dead" to you?

What's really fascinating is that Diva does a great job of delivering all those non-linearities that die-hard analogue fans have been clamouring for, and thus is reputed to sound more "alive" and more full of "character" than any other VA.

It hasn't even occurred to me to think of the sound of any synth as "dead", btw. I think of them as tools to make sounds, and they can all sound either dead or alive, depending on how you program them. My opinion, naturally.

daExpert wrote:people say Diva is the best sounding virtual synth ever
Who says that? What is claimed is that Diva is the closest emulation (/simulation) yet of analogue synthesis in the plugin world.

Diva stands or falls on the accuracy of its emulation - comparison alongside other VA synths without any reference to the original hardware spectacularly misses the point.
When I sweep the filter in the virtual MS-20 I'm hearing a thicker, warmer sound than anything MS-20 filter
When I sweep Diva's MS-20 type filter I hear a more accurate replication of the behaviour of a real MS-20 filter than that from the Korg Legacy.

SODDI wrote:"It would require a significant addition to our serial number scheme, as there would need to be a serial for the bundle and one for each single plug."

I don't see the problem. The bundle is the price, not the copy protect. (I'm just speaking as an old sales head who would never want to bollix the sale because of configuration.)

If there's 3 pieces in the bundle, each piece gets its own copy protect same as if the user bought them individually.

It sounds like more of an order entry/order fulfillment thing.
Well, Uhbik currently is one single piece of software that *contains* 9 plug-in-processes. For AU and VST3 it's a single entity, for VST2 our installer makes 9 identical copies of the dll with just different names. As such, the copy protection within the software doesn't care if it's the Flanger or the Delay or whatever.

If we unbundle the software, we have to make them separate entities, each with its own serial number. Otherwise one could just buy one and use the others for free.

Our copy protection is hilariously effective - easy and reliable for the legit user, persuasive for the crack user. Thus I'm reluctant to change it in any way, e.g. to support different licensing schemes.

There are rarely any 1:1 comparison of Diva vs the real thing.

I just found this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Z__dJBmbo

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Audio comparisons... on youtube for the win! :dog:

Ingonator wrote:There are rarely any 1:1 comparison of Diva vs the real thing.

I just found this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Z__dJBmbo

Ingo
Yes even under the poor recording conditions you can hear how close DIVA comes. Urs really knows what he is doing.

I want to hear a JP8 A/B under proper recording conditions. Unfortunately DIVA's parameter ranges will not match up easily.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Yes even under the poor recording conditions you can hear how close DIVA comes. Urs really knows what he is doing.

I want to hear a JP8 A/B under proper recording conditions. Unfortunately DIVA's parameter ranges will not match up easily.
Well, hehe, we have two Juno60s and Diva only sounds like one of them.

JP8 is similarly difficult. You'll need the apparently rare 2nd revision to check it out. Someone did a few comparisons with his Rev1 JP8 and it sounded fairly different. But so does our Rev2 JP8.

@Urs

Can't you build us a nice little 37 key DIVA hardware synth.. cash waiting if you do :D

Rob

ariston wrote: ....

What's really fascinating is that Diva does a great job of delivering all those non-linearities that die-hard analogue fans have been clamouring for, and thus is reputed to sound more "alive" and more full of "character" than any other VA.

Well, not judging the intrinseq quality of this or that synth, I think this at least is more or less questionable.

A lot of VAs probably have a lot of non-linearities on board. At least I'm sure some have 8) . And some even have some more or less partials ways to control that. Its not that thinking in such terms does not give some kind of indications, but a simple self resonnance filter is directly related to the non-linearity concept, its as trivial as that. And there are many ways to implement it as a 0df type. Not counting the various non-linearities you can introduce by simply programming in an accurate way synthesizers, it the synthesizer allows so.

non-linearity can be seen as the consequence of the study and analysis of electronic circuitry, that were used to build vintage synths.

But in the end, the character of a synth is much more than that. A synthesizer itself is more than that, and all have a character, for the better, or the less better. Wich can eventually explain why one's "alive" synthesizer can be another persons's "dead cow" unit.

In other words, different synthesizer, different characters, at least. Then diversity seems the keyword. At least it is for me.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Daan22 wrote:I don't see it. It may be a good synth in many aspects, but I deleted it from my harddrive after 30 minutes.
I buy MiniMoog, I don't find power switch, I try really hard to locate it, but no, can't find it even after 30 minutez, I decide it must be crap synth, better use of time to go on forum and talk about it being bad, instead of reading manual

hakey wrote:Audio comparisons... on youtube for the win! :dog:
Another fair comment, coming from our reknowed "JP8 expert".
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

some good examples of comparisons by gearslutz yoozer (Minimoog v Diva on soundcloud) and also CoolColJ (also on Soundcloud Diva v Jupiter 8)
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Lotuzia wrote:
hakey wrote:Audio comparisons... on youtube for the win! :dog:
Another fair comment, coming from our reknowed "JP8 expert".
Fallacious appeal to authority :o :-o

Return to “Instruments”