UVI launches UVX-3P - Roland JX-3P Emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:
breakmixer wrote:should be possible or is possible - i see no oscs on the uvi synth itself?
Can't find an OSC in the demo.

There are two pages, one "Edit" and one "Mod". The Edit contains the ADSR section and filter section, while the "Mod" pages holds LFO with a seletion of four waveforms (sine, saw, square, S/H).

Must say that controls are very responsive, unlike some other romplers I could mention....
It's probably very good - but your still tied in to the presets as such, adding oscs with all the original waveforms would be better - like a real synth rather than a rompler.

A synth with no oscillator selector? :x :band: :x
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

breakmixer wrote:It's probably very good - but your still tied in to the presets as such, adding oscs with all the original waveforms would be better - like a real synth rather than a rompler.
The original JX-3P was not a "hands-on" instrument, mostly launched as a preset instrument.

Wasn't the PG200 programmer needed to access them?

Maybe if the PG200 programmer is linked up with this new UVI emulation, the OSC's under "the hood" can be accessed :D

Numanoid wrote:
breakmixer wrote:It's probably very good - but your still tied in to the presets as such, adding oscs with all the original waveforms would be better - like a real synth rather than a rompler.
The original JX-3P was not a "hands-on" instrument, mostly launched as a preset instrument.

Maybe if the PG200 programmer is linked up with this new UVI emulation, the OSC's under "the hood" can be accessed :D
:hihi:

They only cost about £300 to £500 if you can get one, I don't think it will work, buy one and hit us back :wink:

Try the pg-23p vst

44 Euros for that dongle thingy alone, lol. I doubt many people will buy that synth, which is not even very sophisticated. But it looks good, the 3D rendition that is...

Odd, they make the effort of creating an emulation of the JX-3P, but leave out controls of the original. Usually emulations include everything the original offered, plus additional modern features.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Odd, they make the effort of creating an emulation of the JX-3P, but leave out controls of the original. Usually emulations include everything the original offered, plus additional modern features.
It's a sample based synth with scripting for the GUI. As it's powered by UVI Workstation 2 it does also not use filter models and envelopes of the original synth. I would hardly call that a "real" emulation.

Anyway if you have a look at the Kontakt instruments of Synth Magic those usually also have a waveform selector (which then loads the corresponding samples).
For sample based instruments the Kontakt synths of e.g. Synth Magic, Soniccouture and Hollow Sun seem to be top notch.

This is a thread about Roland emulations i started a while ago:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 83#5039583

Concerning JX-3P emulations those could be interesting:
http://www.josvanras.com/synthesizer/
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4999368

https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/

audio demos of the real thing:
http://www.synthmania.com/jx-3p.htm

For Mac users maybe the UVI synth is the only option to get an JX-3P emulation at the moment.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Numanoid wrote:

no, the pg200 wasn't needed to program it, but nevertheless everyone screamed for one, as it was a pita to program that little synth, though there wasn't a lot under the hood... 2 dco's with crossmod/sync, one lowpass filter similar to the one in the alpha junos, one env, one lfo, and a chorus... that's pretty much it... but it indeed sounded nice...

and for the ones that think it would be easy to supply the osc's via using a wavetable of the original, that wouldn't do it just as easy as one might think, as the osc is filter-shaped a lot, so the waveform differ over the keyrange... also it has to be a very accurate series of tables that behave the exact same like the jx3p, for the crossmodulation to sound the same, let alone the filter...
so, yes, it's doable, but if you want a good emulation, it still would require someone who really knows about that synth _and_ about programming, even though there's not a lot of features...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Ingonator wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Odd, they make the effort of creating an emulation of the JX-3P, but leave out controls of the original. Usually emulations include everything the original offered, plus additional modern features.
It's a sample based synth with scripting for the GUI. As it's powered by UVI Workstation 2 it does also not use filter models and envelopes of the original synth. I would hardly call that a "real" emulation.

Anyway if you have a look at the Kontakt instruments of Synth Magic those usually also have a waveform selector (which then loads the corresponding samples).
For sample based instruments the Kontakt synths of e.g. Synth Magic, Soniccouture and Hollow Sun seem to be top notch.

Ingo
Yes, judging from the browser image in the manual (http://cdn.waycom.net/media/universsons ... manual.pdf page 7), there are no oscillator waveform samples (like Saw etc.) as such, but only complete instruments samples, like a dozen or so bass presets. So indeed it looks like an emulation of the JX-3P more than it actually is. Still, some of the demo sounds are quite appealing. Not enough though to make me spend that much and deal with their odd framework and dongle thingy. But I suppose such dongles might become more frequent again because of the EU court ruling on reselling software licenses.

brok landers wrote:and for the ones that think it would be easy to supply the osc's via using a wavetable of the original, that wouldn't do it just as easy as one might think, as the osc is filter-shaped a lot, so the waveform differ over the keyrange...
Thankfully you can have multiple keyzones with different wavetables loaded in. :)

Spacek wrote:Il like the UVI stuf, specialy the Emulation 2, but there's a turn off dongle.
Agreed. If I'm going to have to plug something into my computer to use a piece of software, I might as well plug in a real JX-3P...

UVI: If you trust me not to pirate your software, I will consider trusting you with my money. I prefer to spend my money where I feel there's mutual trust, rather than where I'm being treated like a potential criminal who must have severe restrictions placed on the software before being trusted with it.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

I downloaded the Demo sounds. A 378MB sound file for 3 sounds??? :shock:

How much disk space does the full product take?
"Sometimes I think of Abraham...
How one star he saw had been lit for me"

SWTrex wrote:I downloaded the Demo sounds. A 378MB sound file for 3 sounds??? :shock:

How much disk space does the full product take?
I expect somewhere in the range of 3-4-5 GB.

For reference, the Vintage Synth pack was over 20 GB in total, that was 6 synths, so divide that by 6 to get the expected load for 1 8)

layzer wrote:meh, jx3p can be emulated by just about any VA. :roll:
I don't know where you got that from, but you don't seem to know the JX-3P at all. The "silkiness" in its pad sounds is such a characteristic feature that it makes the JX-3P a unique instrument. I tested several virtual synths in the past (like the free Jv3P) pretending to emulate the original. None of them came even close to a real JX-3P.

Then I downloaded the UVX-3P demo. This is actually the first emulation that convinced me, since it is based on samples of the real hardware. It might be that a couple of functions are missing when compared to the hardware, but the overall sound of the UVX-3P is stunning to my ears.

Well done, UVI! :clap:

Does anyone know if this product features the original factory sounds or are they new sounds made for the product?

Return to “Instruments”