Nuance, The Compact Sampler from New Sonic Arts

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nuance

Sendy wrote:The thing with FX plugins is - they're effects. When you include an effects block in a sampler or synth, it becomes a part of the synthesis process - it's not merely an "effect" any more but is part of the sound in the way that a filter or ring modulator might be.
Yeah - the key difference is that internal FX could be polyphonic and thus could be modulated. For this reason, I definitely think some added FX is within the spirit of Nuance... definitely an option for future - lets see :)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Can't find anything on the details regarding the ability to drag and drop from sequencer track to sampler map. I am thinking this may be tricky to do;the only time I see it is on the integrated samplers in DAWs. Possible for Nuance?

Aiynzahev wrote: 6) I'd like a good drum sampler with multiple outs, that's why I ask. I suppose people might mention Poise, but I don't think thats exactly what I am looking for either.

7) consider a Akai style pad layout as an option, just grab and drop to the pads.
That would be cool.

Hey james, i'm trying the demo, would it be possible to make loop start and loop end automatable and that if you move one of them while playing it detects it?

I like to play with those, its possible in shortcircuit, but i'm liking the simplicity of nuance.

i like it but i find the fact that every zone has to use the same envelope settings or filter settings a no go. the same goes for reverse mode. if i have a program with multi samples and i select reverse, not only the selected zone gets reversed but all the other zones also. it doesnt make much sense. it seems it was designed to use only one sample / zone and not for multisamples / various zones.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

how about adjustable anti-click fades for start/end positions? Playing with start/end points on drum loops results in clicks.
miedex

miedex wrote:how about adjustable anti-click fades for start/end positions? Playing with start/end points on drum loops results in clicks.
+ 1
This feature would be most welcome!!

i'd definitely like to see nuance go down the creative sampler route. meaning a plethora of modulation options - sources & destinations, varying pitch/fx/stretch algos, and groups / internal routing/buses / multiouts.

in that order of importance.

Further down the road, perhaps granite & nuance could end up being the one mega awesome creative sampler / granular work horse. [/wishful_thinking]

there are other "hi def" options out there for those who want to run realistic sounding libraries with high-end pitch/stretching DSP, so the pitch/stretching/fx doesn't have to compete with those samplers IMO... better to focus on 'character' and/or 'lofi' algos that offer interesting creative opportunities. I mean, I'm not saying you should make that the sole function - there's obviously a market for an inexpensive, light multi-sampler for running libraries - but catering to the SFX market could make Nuance a must-have regardless of what other Samplers we own.

glasgene wrote:Can't find anything on the details regarding the ability to drag and drop from sequencer track to sampler map. I am thinking this may be tricky to do;the only time I see it is on the integrated samplers in DAWs. Possible for Nuance?
It depends on the host. If the host is using standard OS file drag and drop API to do this it will work. However, unlike drag and drop from the internal browser, its not possible to show visual feedback on what key it will be dropped onto.

Also in the next beta (coming out today) dropping a file via OS Drag and Drop onto the map will drop onto a single key. In the current release/demo, it replaces the whole map (that will still be possible by dragging onto the waveform). Again, this is much more limited than drag from the internal browser, where you can drop onto variable key ranges as you like.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

miedex wrote:how about adjustable anti-click fades for start/end positions? Playing with start/end points on drum loops results in clicks.
The upcoming 1.004 addresses this with a couple of new features. First, there is a new zone fade-out property, and secondly, dragging the start/end markers on the waveform snaps to zero crossings.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

hcv242 wrote:i like it but i find the fact that every zone has to use the same envelope settings or filter settings a no go. the same goes for reverse mode. if i have a program with multi samples and i select reverse, not only the selected zone gets reversed but all the other zones also. it doesnt make much sense. it seems it was designed to use only one sample / zone and not for multisamples / various zones.
Well, yes :)

Nuance is a single-instrument sampler. Its not a drum sampler or a multi-instrument sampler (yet...)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

ChiTown24 wrote:Further down the road, perhaps granite & nuance could end up being the one mega awesome creative sampler / granular work horse. [/wishful_thinking]
actually, not such a crazy idea... nothing for the immediate future, and I think they will always be separate entities (focus is important!), but allowing them to come much closer together is definitely an idea being worked on...

ok, probably said too much ;)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:Further down the road, perhaps granite & nuance could end up being the one mega awesome creative sampler / granular work horse. [/wishful_thinking]
actually, not such a crazy idea... nothing for the immediate future, and I think they will always be separate entities (focus is important!), but allowing them to come much closer together is definitely an idea being worked on...

ok, probably said too much ;)
No, you have not said enough! I honestly have little use for Nuance because I have ableton Live's sampler which seems very similar if not somewhat more powerful (at this development stage at least). But anything that would supercharge Granite would be interesting.

Granite is an excellent toy, constantly revised and updated by NewSonicArts. I say 'toy' because I haven't used it in anything like finished work, but it is definitely a clever tool.

I say that to admit my partisanship. Nuance looks like something I could make great use of. I have terabytes of samples of all kinds on disc, and could really benefit from a gizmo like this to bring them back into the DAW workflow.

/fnx
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant

am using it for just what i needed it for...simple stuff. playing a loop, a sound fx, a pad, something odd, something random. the sampler in logic is great for mutlisamples, more complex stuff. but i've wanted a sampler that could just BE there, and nuance is working for me.

Return to “Instruments”