XILS Roland Vocoder VP-330 Plus - NEW SYNTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
XILS V+

Xils V+ get a two page review, a Computer Music Performance Award and a score of 8 out 10 overall in latest CM (no 195)

Their verdict:
For: Spot on VP-330 clone plus extras, terrific ensemble effect, paraphonic and polyphonic, synth voices can be uncanny realistic, who doesn't love a vocoder?
Against: Pricey, given the limited remit

Numanoid wrote: Against: Pricey, given the limited remit
As mentioned earlier V+ has several additional features compared to the real thing so i don't understand that one.
For example for the vocoder the real one has only the vocoder on/off switches, an ensemble switch, a tone fader and the mic fader. All V+ features from the dedicated vocoder menu are missing.

Opposing to the real thing you could also edit the choir voices.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Numanoid wrote:Xils V+ get a two page review, a Computer Music Performance Award and a score of 8 out 10 overall in latest CM (no 195)

Their verdict:
For: Spot on VP-330 clone plus extras, terrific ensemble effect, paraphonic and polyphonic, synth voices can be uncanny realistic, who doesn't love a vocoder?
Against: Pricey, given the limited remit
But how does a "Spot on VP-330 clone plus extras" only get 8/10? Its the most exciting softsynth emulation of 2013.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:But how does a "Spot on VP-330 clone plus extras" only get 8/10? Its the most exciting softsynth emulation of 2013.
Good question, but I guess it can be because it isn't a plugin for everybody, and that the price point is above average.

To make an analogy: When I look at ratings of movies on a scale from 1-6 (best), I seldom watch the movies that get 5 or 6, because they are too general, made to fit every taste. Films that gets a 4 review are IMO often the best, because then you can expect something out of the ordinary ;-)

Ingonator wrote:
Numanoid wrote: Against: Pricey, given the limited remit
As mentioned earlier V+ has several additional features compared to the real thing so i don't understand that one.
For example for the vocoder the real one has only the vocoder on/off switches, an ensemble switch, a tone fader and the mic fader. All V+ features from the dedicated vocoder menu are missing.

Opposing to the real thing you could also edit the choir voices.

Ingo
True. The V+ vocoder has more features, and the additionnal water mode, that gives incredible results on percussions for example.

The modulation matrix allows extra features like velocity on vca etc. Envelopes can be used. fully customisable LFO as well that can be used for tremoloe-Vibrato etc.

You can use different external modulators. There are A LOT of additional features compared to the HW unit.

Then my own VP330, fully revised and in mint condition is estimated around 2000€ iirc. As far as I know all Xils V+ are delivered in mint condition and fully serviced.

This beeing said how desirable is the VP330 is left to anyone to decide. The TOD engine for the string machine is quite unique and distinct. Strings machines are part of music history, and the VP is one of the possible gems, besides the Solinas etc. The Vocoder itself has a strong sonic signature. But well how much these different instruments, that you can fully mix-combine in the V+ is needed for youyr music, this is a real matter of taste. As for the price, modelling the unit was a BIG task, with dozens of filters for example. And the V+ doesnt compare to anything, just play some presets for 10mn makes it quite obvious imho.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I bought V+ to use in a track I was working on a couple weeks ago. The plugin sounds beautiful- it really does, but I was very disappointed by the artificial limitation that the MIDI note range it supports is limited to the "physical" range of the virtual keyboard on-screen. I wanted to use it for a 2-part harmony but had to compromise because half the notes in the melody were just 1-3 semitones above the plugin's very limited MIDI range. (Took me a while to figure out why only half the notes in my melody were playing.)

I saw someone complain about this (don't remember if it was here or another forum) and the explanation was that it was a decision to stay faithful to the original hardware. I gotta disagree with that stance, at least with this aspect of the synth. I'd at least like a "modern" mode that opened up the MIDI range. You could toggle on a "legacy" mode that imposed limitations for people who wanted that. I've seen Kontakt instruments, for example, that have a "realistic" mode that preserves a sampled instrument's real-world tuning, and then a "modern" mode that gives you access to a wider note range in western scales to more easily incorporate the instrument into contemporary music.

It may be related to CPU hit for Paraphonic Osc sync (49 simultaneous phase locked notes)
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

The quality of the vocoder on this is 10/10! For me it hits the spot and don't think I'd ever need(or want) another, hard or soft - was easy to set up with Cubase 7, very easy. My Plugiator may be leaving now.

One problem I am having with this and a couple of other plugins though - it doesn't like me changing V+ presets whilst cubase midi sequence is running - forget what the cubase 7 warning box says. This happens on about 2 or 3 of my VST's and is not limited to V+.

electro wrote:It may be related to CPU hit for Paraphonic Osc sync (49 simultaneous phase locked notes)
Exactly this.

To ultimateOutsider : A quick fix is to use two instances of the V+, and the Transpose function of the V+. Then in your host just insert a middi mapper with a split point to adress the 2 V+ instances ( or duplicate the Midi part and split it in two )

Hope this helps,

LtZ

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

breakmixer wrote:The quality of the vocoder on this is 10/10! For me it hits the spot and don't think I'd ever need(or want) another, hard or soft - was easy to set up with Cubase 7, very easy. My Plugiator may be leaving now.

One problem I am having with this and a couple of other plugins though - it doesn't like me changing V+ presets whilst cubase midi sequence is running - forget what the cubase 7 warning box says. This happens on about 2 or 3 of my VST's and is not limited to V+.
Amazona.de just released a review of the V+, so just a small quote of the end of the ( 6 pages ) in depth review :

" Der V+ klingt fantastisch! Vocoder, Strings und Human Voices klingen absolut warm, analog und vintage. Hören Sie sich im Vergleich dazu die Klangbeispiele aus dem BlueBox-Bericht an.
Der VP-330 ist heute ein Liebhaberstück für Musiker, die den Klang und die Haptik des Gerätes zu schätzen wissen, so meinte Marko Ettlich und weiter: „Für jemanden, der nur ein bisschen „rumvocodern" will und Kraftwerks „Mensch Maschine" oder Alan Parsons „The Raven" nachspielen möchte, gibt es heute weitaus günstigere Möglichkeiten zum Thema Vocoder (vor allem im Software Bereich
)‟ ( Sorry for non German readers )

You can read the whole test here :

http://www.amazona.de/test-xils-labs-v-plus/1/

LtZ

Lotuzia wrote:
Amazona.de just released a review of the V+, so just a small quote of the end of the ( 6 pages ) in depth review :

" Der V+ klingt fantastisch! Vocoder, Strings und Human Voices klingen absolut warm, analog und vintage."

You can read the whole test here :

http://www.amazona.de/test-xils-labs-v-plus/1/

LtZ
I only had a year of German way back in High School but I think I can still translate this. Congratulations on the good reviews.

Thanks for your comments and for pointing the reviews (more to come soon)

Here is the Computer Music review on Musicradar website :

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... s-v-582822

Best regards
Xavier

Return to “Instruments”