Jean michel Jarre VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

pdxindy wrote: Arts Acoustic makes the right phaser emulation... that is the one to get

EDIT: I see you already got the Big Rock! :-)
I wrote in this thread, that I already bought the Big Rock...it's great...
but "not enough" in order to get the big phasing atmosphere like e.g.
the Oxygene original

Bladerunner1962 wrote:
pdxindy wrote: Arts Acoustic makes the right phaser emulation... that is the one to get

EDIT: I see you already got the Big Rock! :-)
I wrote in this thread, that I already bought the Big Rock...it's great...
the Oxygene original
Yes it is... you have to figure out how to use it right...

pdxindy wrote:
Bladerunner1962 wrote:I wrote in this thread, that I already bought the Big Rock...it's great...
the Oxygene original
Yes it is... you have to figure out how to use it right...
I have to agree there. My comment earlier about the tape saturation and analog signal path Jarre used for Oxygene is only a small part of that sound. The vast majority of that texture is the Small Stone, the Eminent 310u and the right delay, all of which are VERY well emulated with Night Flight, Big Rock and a basic delay.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes audio engineering and was seriously considering actually buying a reconditioned Eminent 310u and building a Small Stone phaser until I discovered the Night Flight/Big Rock combo.

This new synth from Superwave:

"Equinoxe is the only synthesizer dedicated to the works of Jean Michel Jarre!"
Equinoxe is a very powerful and versatile instrument and can be used for any type or genre of music. It features much of the technology used in the Ultimate synth, but has been modified to enable the creation of sounds and effects of the analogue synthesizers used by Jarre. Equinoxe is capable of huge leads, pads, strings, basses and sound effects. Powerful features include the Ultimate Oscillator which has a total of 16 fully programmable oscillators. All the oscillators can have their own individual settings which include Waveform, Level and Pan. All 16 oscillators on the Ultimate Oscillator can also be detuned and stereo spread from a single control which makes programming oscillator stacked sounds a breeze. The Equinoxe features four thirty-two step Sequencers, an Arpeggiator and Multi-Effects which include Tone Control, Chorus, Phaser, Delay, Reverb and Limiter with Drive.

Woah !

Look at the specifications :
http://www.superwavesynths.co.uk/product_equinoxe.htm

And they make gifts:
We supply a full range of presets and a selection of tracks in Cubase and MIDI file formats demonstrating the accuracy achieved by this powerful musical instrument. Equinoxe 4 and Magnetic Fields 2 are supplied with the trial version and 12 additional tracks are supplied via email when purchased. The SuperWave Drums Bundle is also provided free of charge when purchasing the Equinoxe synthesizer.
And all that for only £40, i.e. €49 i.e. $63 !

Even if it's SynthEdit as all the Superwave synths, their synths all belong to the rare excellent SynthEdit creations... So I think I'm gonna checkout! Even if it could be "just to see"...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Just listened to all the demos....blaaaaaahh, wouldn't buy this for 1c.

Patches are so amateurish and the sound of the synth doesn't inspire me, when it comes to Jarre's older albums - at all!

Much better skipping this one totally and staying with synths, free or not, that actually emulate those older synths Jarre used or ones that aren't so generic in trying to cover EVERYTHING.

One actually can get a very, very good sound with plugins that sounds as great as something recorded in the 70's, if one knows what one is doing, if one crafts their presets and uses the right tools.

Superwave stuff is awesome, but this one is totally underwhelming. It sounds so bad overall.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote: Patches are so amateurish

I doubt that. Superwave is actually quite good at patch creation. Downloading demo now.

SAW75 wrote:I doubt that. Superwave is actually quite good at patch creation. Downloading demo now.
I checked it, and unless you've been doing Jarre patches for the last 10 years to the precision that I have been doing, ie 98% and above, you would most likely think these are ok. :wink:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel

HunterKiller wrote:
SAW75 wrote:I doubt that. Superwave is actually quite good at patch creation. Downloading demo now.
I checked it, and unless you've been doing Jarre patches for the last 10 years to the precision that I have been doing, ie 98% and above, you would most likely think these are ok. :wink:

I would be interested in checking out your work. Sounds good.

So, this is exactly the same synth as Ultimate but with new presets?

I'm not picking up much difference in sound for the first few minutes of demoing. The presets are fine. Nothing too special but all pleasant enough to be used.

I just tried out the demo.....and although I do applaud their efforts, it falls way short IMO.....especially for $63 and 32-bit. Dang, I was initially excited as a huge fan of JMJ's sounds.

SAW75 wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:

I would be interested in checking out your work. Sounds good.
Yeah. Same here.

Try Loomer's String, you can download my free bank for that.

Over here: http://www.loomer.co.uk/string.htm
http://www.loomer.co.uk/downloads.htm#String

But other than that, as mentioned prior, you really need a more then one synth to do the job properly.
I use both hardware and software.

Among the software, I use TimewArp2600. You'd also need one of the EMS synth emulations out there, an organ...

Equalizing things is the place where you sculpt sounds for the mix, so presets are only the first step.

BlackWinny wrote:Woah !

Look at the specifications :
http://www.superwavesynths.co.uk/product_equinoxe.htm

And they make gifts:
We supply a full range of presets and a selection of tracks in Cubase and MIDI file formats demonstrating the accuracy achieved by this powerful musical instrument. Equinoxe 4 and Magnetic Fields 2 are supplied with the trial version and 12 additional tracks are supplied via email when purchased. The SuperWave Drums Bundle is also provided free of charge when purchasing the Equinoxe synthesizer.
And all that for only £40, i.e. €49 i.e. $63 !

Even if it's SynthEdit as all the Superwave synths, their synths all belong to the rare excellent SynthEdit creations... So I think I'm gonna checkout! Even if it could be "just to see"...
Well... I've downloaded the trial version (20 note polyphonic in the download page, not simply in the product page where the link is only for the 10 note polyphonic) and the four banks of demo patches, then tested it for about an hour. After 20 minutes my enthusiasm was already getting down... and after one hour it was totally dwindled like a failed soufflé at diner.

Some nice sounds, good ideas also. It's like a superb vitrin at first sight. But after you dig a bit... its appears so-so, humdrum in the point of quality.

A good SynthEdit synth, for sure, like all the others made by Superwave. If we consider that it is SynthEdit, it's good, anybody can't deny it. But nothing really transcendent which could cost $65/€50. So no, I'm back to a strong reserve, and I'm gonna save my money. I can spend these €50 for other products far better. For the same price I bought last year two other SynthEdit synths (Memorymoon and Messiah, the bundle for $40/€30) which are totally awesome in comparison (their internal treatments are made in C++).

For a cheaper price (only $50/€36) than this humdrum Superwave synth you can also buy the awesome and huge Korg M1 with the total bundle of historic patches and sysex (2700 awesome presets) or the incredible Wavestation (Korg also) with the total bundle of historic patches and sysex (1500 awesome presets) or the excellent Waldorf Edition (just a little bit more expensive, €59) or many other mythic, legendary golden synths like these.

I think that Superwave made a terrible confusion between quantity and quality when developing this synth.

The best quality/price rate in the Superwave products remains P8 (not the best free/cheap JP-8000 emulation but a good one, we can admit it).

That's the review of one here who was enthusiast, who has tried it, and who now prefer forget and go on my way to something else.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

For those who love these two albums Oxygene and Equinoxe, you can download here the entirety of a live concert filmed in 3D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJ2Q8GQwts

At 5:30 he begins to use his awesome Eminent, but all the concert is... phhh... a dream!

Return to “Instruments”