Finally: Venom VB-303 v1.00

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Erm.. forgot. I'll give it another go.

But I ran into some more trouble, while testing.. So, just playing the set with the single VB pattern works well.

But I tried to export/render a few seconds of the track, with the VB playing. This didn't work out well.

First time it rendered what was on pattern 1 and not on 6 (the one I wanted to hear and the one that was selected originally). Second time, after I copied pattern 6 to 1 and tried again, it didn't start in sync. The pattern was trailing the rest of the song.

Might be because how Ableton/Live starts of a render of the track (resets the plugin?).

Now, the first problem isn't too bad. One song, one pattern.. It'll work. But the second is worse, as it might never render correctly, whatever pattern is selected.

You wrote the memory is loaded with the patch, when the plugin is selected/loaded. But as stated, the selected pattern is not setup correctly on load/reset. Also when loading the project, the correct pattern needs to be selected every time. Are these settings not in the patch/memory dump normally? I'd expect that and the button/knob settings, etc, to be in there.

Thanks

I guess I'm lucky that I render the patterns to WAV all the time, but when it comes to chaining patterns it is a problem. However I'm going to check if it works with my setup. I always thought chaining should work.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

this is related to how the sequencer behaves with pattern selection
the selected pattern (or chain) slot/section as well as the pitch-shift is NOT remembered on power OFF
resetting the plugin is like switching OFF and ON the real thing
in that case you have to select the pattern/chain again (prepare before playing)

if this is really a problem - you can use track mode
program what you need in a track, and then the only thing you need to do to prepare the thing for playing is to press BAR RESET before playing (this returns the track position to bar 1)

and when using HostSync mode - leave one empty bar or so, before triggering the sequencer to start running
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

The "trick" with leaving one empty bar before the song starts is an old and good trick to remember. Not just for VB-303. Everything just works the best that way for some reason. Well at least with Reaper and Cubase that I use on rare occasions, but I was using Cubase at the beginning of 00s and it worked best if you gave it a bar to do whatever it needed to do. Weird, when you think about it, because it's software.

It's like in the old times when we didn't record on the multitrack immediately but left a few seconds of space in front. :)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

antto wrote: <SNIP>

and when using HostSync mode - leave one empty bar or so, before triggering the sequencer to start running
Sure, I'll have to try that then, when I go to 'arrangement view'. Now I was in 'session view' with the live clips.. And was rendering the clips that were there as a test. Can't delay. What's selected runs.

But I dare assume that the reset will happen always, also in arrangement view and also if I leave a few seconds at the beginning. Rendering is rendering and Live will probably reset the plugin anyway. No way to setup VB after the full speed rendering starts.

That leaves recording the VB track to audio in some way and use that during project rendering.. or never render the project and just record (I think it is called resampling in live) the master output.

It does make things less flexible, if you have to fix the plugin's output to an audio track during mixing and auditioning, etc. The mix will demand editing the VB automation sometimes, one wagers. So a lot of back and forth there.

It still sounds nice, though ;-)

Is anyone using this with Sonar X3d? I just loaded up an old project that uses it, and it will not load VB-303. Sonar X3 does not recognize this VST! The .dll does not scan. Interestingly enough I tried it with Sonar X2 and it works fine. Something happened between Sonar X2 and Sonar X3d to stop this excellent plugin being recognized as a VSTi and I'd like to know what!

So, is there a solution then for disappearing knobs?

DAW: Orion

I guess not.
It's easy if you know how

Hi there may be answer on this thread already but I cant find it.
(already found the answer to the rotary knobs disappearing thanks for that).

the question I have is I am using the input from a channel midi clip to launch how many of the notes in the pattern I activate, and putting the sync mode to host and the choosing trigger one.
but what I find is when I save the live session and reload or even sometimes pressing stop and playing recorded clips back the pattern selection defaults to to pattern 1 and doesn't save which one I selected.
anyone know how I can get ableton to remember/save the pattern I had selected?

many thanks and sorry if this is already covered

the selected pattern slot / section as well as the pitch-shift is not saved in memory
your DAW restarts the plugin on stop, which causes the sequencer to reboot

one way to go around that is to use track write/play modes
if all you want is a 1-bar pattern:
go to track-write mode, press BAR RESET, press RUN, select the pattern, apply pitch-shift (if needed) then press D.C. and then press WRITE/NEXT
done, now switch to track-play mode and even if the DAW resets the plugin - it will load the track with the pattern selected

if the track has more than 1 bar - you have to press BAR RESET before playing, that's all

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Gah, I still cannot get this plugin to load in Sonar X3. It was working fine when I first installed it, I was using it in a couple of projects. Then one day I opened the projects and its instances were not being loaded, and I couldn't insert a new instance because it wasn't showing in Sonar's instrument list. I asked a couple of Sonar owning friends if they could shed any light, and they installed the plugin just fine and got it working. I was then sure that something was up with my installation of Sonar (or my rig in general) that was keeping it from showing in Sonar.

I've just recently bought a brand new rig and installed everything from scratch. I figured that a fresh install of Sonar would solve the problem. Alas I've just installed Venom again and although Sonar scans it and reports that it's found it, it's still not showing in my instrument list and I can't load it. What the hell can be wrong? This is a brand new machine with a virgin installation! I would appreciate any help with this mystery...

All I can tell you is that Sonar is known to have problems with many plugins. Try downloading Zynewave Podium Free and you'll see that Venom works: http://zynewave.com/podium-free/ Podium doesn't plague Windows registry and it's just one small exe file and a few VST plugins. Perfect for testing plugins.

Cheers!

Tried VB-303 v1.00 yesterday, but it doesn't seem to work properly in Cubase 64-bit (v7.5.10), not even with jBridge. Could not make it play a pattern or track. Maybe I am doing something wrong here, one of the VB-303 keyboard note LEDs is blinking all the time and whatever I clicked I didn't seem to make it stop.

I checked your video. Is it only controllable via the computer keyboard?
I can only use the mouse to control it since I already have all keys assigned to my DAW key command shortcuts.

cnt: it's controllable via midi-notes (which are mapped to the buttons)
in my video, i was pressing the keys on the keyboard, which (via the DAW) play midi notes into the plugin
2 octaves are required since it has 24 buttons

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Return to “Instruments”