Finally: Venom VB-303 v1.00

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the freebie.

A couple of observations:

in Live (8.3.something) "host sync" syncs with the host tempo but there doesn't appear to be any way to get it to start/stop in sync with the host.

Upon loading a new instance after deleting a previous instance I got something like "can't create blah file" dialogue, and the new instance didn't work.

The gui is small, making the text difficult to read and the controls fiddly - particularly those in the top panel.

hakey wrote: in Live (8.3.something) "host sync" syncs with the host tempo but there doesn't appear to be any way to get it to start/stop in sync with the host.
Same problem here in Live 9 Suite (on Windows 7). I could change patterns using my MIDI keyboard but i could not start the pattern either using the keyboard or pressing play in the host (when in "host sync" mode).
Only way to get it playing so far is switch to "internal" and hit the Run(stop button manually.

I also tried to use a second MIDI keyboard to control the "trigger" MIDI channel (16) but no luck yet. It seems to receive MIDI data (including the Run/stop button) but no sound yet.

I also found no way so far playing the plugin without a sequencer (internal or external) just using my MIDI keyboard.

I also had a look at the manual but did not find a way to solve the problems mentioned so far.

Ingl
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks for an amazing freebie.

Is it me or is the demo pattern quite clicky on the initial note transients
(not talking about latency crakle).

Also had the above mentioned Ableton prblem of not starting in host sync mode
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Ingonator wrote: I also tried to use a second MIDI keyboard to control the "trigger" MIDI channel (16) but no luck yet. It seems to receive MIDI data (including the Run/stop button) but no sound yet.
I just fund it could work using one keyboard for the pattern selection (MIDI channel 1) and another one for trigger (MIDI channel 16).

I also found that if you want to record start/stop with your DAW you have to record this using a MIDI track on channel 16. This could be then played back when pressing "play" on your DAW.

I just made a screenshot of my current configuration in Ableton Live 9:

MIDI track 1 uses one controller to switch the patterns (MIDI channel 1) and the second track triggers (with a second controller) the Run/Stop button (MIDI channel 16 with using an insert to MIDI track 1).

The automation parameters on the bottom of the screen seemed to be added automatically but it is not possible to add the Start/Stop button there.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Big hug and greetings to Bianka from Hungary !!!! :hug: can show respect with a gift TB 303 to Antto? 4 that excellent work. I think thats the minimal "price". cmon people just realize it.

hakey wrote:Thanks for the freebie.

A couple of observations:

in Live (8.3.something) "host sync" syncs with the host tempo but there doesn't appear to be any way to get it to start/stop in sync with the host.

Upon loading a new instance after deleting a previous instance I got something like "can't create blah file" dialogue, and the new instance didn't work.

The gui is small, making the text difficult to read and the controls fiddly - particularly those in the top panel.
yeah i've got the... Can't load module. 'AS_N0NScq v1.00'
error in ableton live 8, when venom does load, the cutoff/res section of controls are missing.

it works fine in Reaper.

i agree with what's been said about the GUI, it's pretty small and the text is a struggle to read

venom sounds great though.

can you make the GUI bigger?

if it cannot load the modules - it won't work, you have to put the plugin somewhere with read/write access

the GUI won't be bigger, i've spent too much time and whatnot to make this finished..

HOST SYNC: this only "sticks" to the host BPM but does not start/stop automatically.
to start/stop you have to use a midi note (any) on the Trigger channel
when this note is held down - the sequencer will run

i'll try to make some tutorial videos
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Congratulations on the release. I have just quickly played a bit around with it, and it is pretty cool, and seemingly authentic (although I have never touched the real thing, so I don't really know). So thanks for making this freely available. :)

antto wrote:if it cannot load the modules - it won't work, you have to put the plugin somewhere with read/write access
it loaded fine the first time in ableton, but then the error appeared when i closed ableton and when i reload the plugin, the controls section is missing.

venom is in the same folder all my other plugins are in, they all work fine.

not trying to have a dig at venom, i've been watching the development of it with great interest and i love its sound
you've done a great job with it, it'd be a shame if i can't use it in my main sequencer.

antto wrote:
the GUI won't be bigger, i've spent too much time and whatnot to make this finished..
Its been the most requested thing since you started years ago. :roll:

Thanks Antto ... will give it a go in live 9 later.

antto wrote: HOST SYNC: this only "sticks" to the host BPM but does not start/stop automatically.
to start/stop you have to use a midi note (any) on the Trigger channel
when this note is held down - the sequencer will run

i'll try to make some tutorial videos
I guess i found how it works now and tried to show with the screenshot i have posted on this page.

Anyway is it somehow possible to play the synth without any sequencer (internal or external), just using a MIDi keyboard?
I have not found a way for that yet. I thought it is somehow working with "MIDI Sync 24" and/or MIDI PALY but this does not seem to be what i am searching for or at least i did not get a sound from that way so far.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

chk071 wrote:I think Antto described that here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 39#5330139
i guess you mean this one:
antto wrote:MidiPlay mode is locked on purpose
it prints 4 numbers, you have to enter those numbers but subtracted from 9
if it prints 1428 you enter 8571, it should then print "okay" and it's unlocked
if you fail to do it from the first time - switch to another mode, then back to MidiPlay and retry

once unlocked - use the "Trigger" channel to play notes

this is not a bug, it's on purpose, i encourage you to use the internal sequencer instead
I still don't get why this has to be "unlocked" but anyway. I tried to enter the "unlock code" but don't have a clue how i move to the second digit when i entered the first one.

Venom seems to sound quite nice but seems to be quite confusing to use. Based on that i'll maybe stick to Phoscyon as it seems to be a bit easier to use and sounds very nice too.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: Venom seems to sound quite nice but seems to be quite confusing to use.
Unfortunately, yes... i hope someone makes a YouTube video to cover some basics, usually i'm able to control a synth without even having to take a look in the manual, this one i'm not even able to control after reading the manual. :bang:

Return to “Instruments”