Finally: Venom VB-303 v1.00

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know Antto - you should just have left off the midiplay thing, and be done with it. This thread is how many pages long and still the screaming me-me's don't get it. TBH it amazes me how you manage to stay so polite... :hail:

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:In any way, this whole discussion is moot now, being that you have no desires to waste your time anymore. Personally, I won't wait for anything you release. I mean, leaving the whole "it's too old to work on it" thing aside, the simple fact you were willing to annoy us... well, that by itself is telling very much. From experience, most developers would want to fix the issues their users have, but oh well. So, I'll steer clear. Others might wait for more of your plugins. Time will tell.
Wow you're kind of a jerk aren't you ?
The level of self-entitlement of some users will never cease to amaze me.

Anyway Antto I tried to see if something was sending messages to the synth but I can't seem to find anything.

I guess I'll bounce everything from now on so I won't lose my stuff and enjoy the plugin while it (kind of) still works.

there was a point in time where the vb303 project was dead for a long time (after beta2)

some time later, i got inspired to rebuild it in a totally different direction, and i had to build up a good amount of courage to do it
that route went to this v1.00 as you see it

so, from that point where the project was dead (at beta2) what would have been better?
1) forget about it, THE END of the vb303 story
2) build the totally different (hard to use, and annoying) v1.00
3) same as #2 but without releasing it to the public

so far i've read enough negative comments that made me regret i went so far with this

i certainly expected negative comments, but not to such a level, after all - it's free
and many people react like there's no alternative available, when there's plenty

adenozin: using it in realtime (as if it's an external, hardware device) is less troublesome indeed (so far i mainly use it like that myself, live jams recorded in realtime)

someone asked about the LOAD/SAVE buttons not working - they only work in pattern-write mode while in the main menus (also in settings mode with another purpose, read the manual for details)
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote: so.. don't wait for "vb303 mkII" ... it's not gonna happen
as i've said before, this is not the end of TB-303 emulations, new and better things are coming.. (hint: ABL3)
Well, "better" will be up to the users.. ABL3 mostly focuses on the sound aspect of the 303, the sequencer and the way ABL3 operates is very similar to ABL2. If the users want a full simulation of the 303's interface then your VB-303 is actually a decent choice and with a very good sound as well.

Mike / audiorealism
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

finally got a few hours to try this out.
almost gave up,but had to give it another try.:)
i never had a 303,got to try one for a couple of hours once,but didn't get much out of it.
i was slightly old-skooler with soundmaster+korgms20.
but it's a challenge to get it working.
sequencers are tricky to make,and it seems like you've done a good job,judging by the positive comments from the 303 fans.i tend to agree you maybe should have left off the midi in and made people learn it as it should be played.
seems a lot of people just want a 'synth' and should be looking elswhere.

my first problem was to do button combos without a keyboard.
in energyXT the mappings start at C2.so that confused me.
once i got that,i could use a midi part to 'plat' the buttons to hold,while selecting others with mouse.
i wonder if a dedicated midi only plugin mapped to the buttons with toggle switches would be useful?
haven't figured what all are for yet.
do all need to have 'hold' button?

i did manage to write a a few patterns,add slide and accent and save and load them successfully.
it's a bit of a learning curve but not too much.
it sounds great and looks great.
have to stop now,real life is back,i'll have another go soon,
thanks a lot antto.:)

Thank you for such an amazing 303 synth!
Its got the edge of the other 303 plugs out there, i love the fact i can tweak the resonance pot and make this baby squeeeeel!

However, I have been creating a track using this plugin in midi mode.
Putting the code in each time was a pain but bearable, but now I find i cannot render.

Attempted to record back into DAW without rendering and it will not work.
Was going to use the internal seq but cannot create the same feel to the pattern due to the note lengths I've used.

Is there any way to disable the lock at all?
I don't want to use another 303 plug as they aren't as good as this :( seems such a shame.
:: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return ::

use tobybears channelgrabber and capture the audio.
then i'd stick to the int seq in future.

Thanks for the suggestion dude :)
:: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return ::

thank you, antto!
this creation shows the difference. nerds vs casuals vs 'professionals' (uhhhh... ih8them).

i love the vb303.
haha :P
"blablabla, make it this, make it that way."
its just sad.

you made a great job. period.
thats the true essence (e.g. the real tb303); and not everybody were able to use it like they want to... ;)

spacedad wrote: i wonder if a dedicated midi only plugin mapped to the buttons with toggle switches would be useful?
for people without a keyboard.
i could make one in se.
maybe usefull to some?

can anyone say which buttons would be needed for 'holding' while you pressed the others on the gui?

i'm still not familiar with all combos.
thanks.

hm.. interesting idea

the typical combos are:

FUNCTION + <something>
CLEAR + <slot>
<slot> + <another slot> (for selecting chains)
PITCH MODE + <something>

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Mike Janney wrote:
antto wrote: so.. don't wait for "vb303 mkII" ... it's not gonna happen
as i've said before, this is not the end of TB-303 emulations, new and better things are coming.. (hint: ABL3)
Well, "better" will be up to the users.. ABL3 mostly focuses on the sound aspect of the 303, the sequencer and the way ABL3 operates is very similar to ABL2. If the users want a full simulation of the 303's interface then your VB-303 is actually a decent choice and with a very good sound as well.

Mike / audiorealism
i say "better" since i'm also a user, and love the 303 sound
ABL2 is easy to use in a DAW, ABL3 will be too then

the more important lesson i'm trying to teach is that, for a 303 emulation/clone - you gotta have some internal sequencer
because if you leave the full control in the hands of the user - chances are very high that he sequences some weird "pattern"
and even a real TB-303 sounds bad/weird if played via midi and an odd "pattern"

it's not so important to have the authentic programming interface stuff.. it's much more important to have the internal sequencer force those few key rules so that the synth only does what 303s do, and no weird stuff

my point is... users should not judge the accuracy of a 303 clone by testing it with external sequencing mode and a piano roll
if it has an internal sequencer (and most serious 303 emulations DO) - test with that only (and switch OFF the extra/weird mods)

if the internal sequencer didn't play a key role in a 303 clone - they would all omit it (but they haven't, even tho a sequencer is not exactly easy to code)

so if you put authentic sound, internal sequencer, and ease of use - ABL3 would certainly be better
my advice to the people is: use the internal sequencer, it's there for a very good reason

ReBirth doesn't sound terrible because it is stuck to a sequencer.. no one has heard how it will sound if played with a lousy "pattern" in a piano roll, right?
soundwise, it's not very accurate (especially today, it's 2014)
so this proves my point..

hopefully people don't hate me and they learnt something about 303s (i certainly did)

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:hm.. interesting idea

the typical combos are:

FUNCTION + <something>
CLEAR + <slot>
<slot> + <another slot> (for selecting chains)
PITCH MODE + <something>
thanks,antto.
when you say <slot> for chaining,is that pattern buttons 1-8?

yes

the lower slot has to be held first
thus holding slot8 is of no use.. only slots 1 to 7 need to be "held" for chains
that's in vb303 tho, it turns out my algos there are too restrictive (i've fixed this in the recent version of n0nx0x)
that's just one more thing that annoys me but requires a big rewrite (thus it's not gonna happen for vb303)

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

i see,thanks.
haven't got as far as pattern chaining yet.
but i'll have a think about making a button presser.:)

Return to “Instruments”