Finally: Venom VB-303 v1.00

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the midiplay "lock" is there only to be annoying... yes
because otherwise you will never try the internal sequencer and will use the thing as a "sound module"

MIDI Sync 24 is another slave mode, you can use it with an external (hardware) gear like a drum machine or so..

i'm gonna make tutorial videos..
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

I still could not enter the "unlock code". I seem to be stuck at the first of the 4 numbers. I thought it would work using the "Write/next" button but no luck. I also tried to use all other buttons and the mode knob but no luck...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

This is one baffling vst..
Is it actually a puzzle game lol
It seems like something that will work one time you open it, won't work the next..
For example I tried and successfully unlocked midi play, (out of curiosity more than anything)but then I went to try it again later and it was locked again and would only accept 1 number not 4 (as others have found)
I never used a 303 before it looks is a bit baffling so I better read the manual I guess.

Thanks to the developer, it looks like quite a bit of work.. And sounds great, just gotta work out how to use it :wink:

antto wrote: i'm gonna make tutorial videos..
Thanks, looking forward to those. :)

shanecgriffo wrote:This is one baffling vst..
Is it actually a puzzle game lol
It seems like something that will work one time you open it, won't work the next..
For example I tried and successfully unlocked midi play, (out of curiosity more than anything)but then I went to try it again later and it was locked again and would only accept 1 number not 4 (as others have found)
I never used a 303 before it looks is a bit baffling so I better read the manual I guess.
As long as you use it on it's own (internal mode) it seems to work and sounds nicely.
It just gets a little confusing when you try to use the host integration or want to play it as a "normal" synth without a sequencer.

With using a second MIDI track that triggers the On/Off switch at MIDI channel 16 it should be possible to start/stop using your host.
shanecgriffo wrote: it was locked again and would only accept 1 number not 4 (as others have found)
I still found no way to go beyond the first number. I even tried the keyboard controls described in the manual.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I've tried MIDI control, but despite following the manual, I could not understand what's actually happening. I think I'll wait some with printing the manual.

The Sound is absolutely old-school tho :)

EDIT: Learning this is still a better alternative to buying that small box for thousands

A possible bug:
I was testing the Distrortion FX (from REAR panel) and after switching back to the normal panel the filter controls (Cutoff etc.) were gone.
Same after reloading the Ableton Live 9 project. After deleting the plugin from the track and reloading it the controls were back again.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

I love the sound and appreciate the work you put in and I respect your creative freedom, especially since you're offering this VSTi for free.

But the internal sequencer is pretty much unusable.
Rebirth and other emulations have fine and usable sequencers.

Why did you decide to go a completely different route with this one?
Adding the Midi-Play-Lock on top of it is almost like (exuse my french) adding insult to injury!

I'm trying hard to come to terms with how this thing works, but so much (as has been mentioned by others here) is unnecessarily complicated.

Thanks for your efforts. This really does make some great sounds and I can only imagine the effort you put into the sequencer section.
(made a couple of patterns and was able to chain them in a track)
I'm sure the sequencer operation makes perfect sense to you but for the lay man it's seems a lot of work when I've got similar functions in my DAW?
(was unable to enter the lock code)
I guess I'd wish for this as two separate products,sequencer and sound module.

Regardless I feel like your work raises the bar and can only force all developers to do the same.:)

Shy wrote:Finally, yep. Thanks for the great synth, antto, and thanks for including support for external sequencing, after all. That unlocking limitation is crazy, I have to say. You're a very strange man. But who cares? Finally, an excellent TB-303 replacement.

Here is an example of something I was able to write really quickly with external sequencing.

Thanks. Later.
Thanks for posting that example. :) My first impression, based on listening to it: that really sounds quite good as a TB-303 emulation indeed! Chapeau, antto! :)

shanecgriffo wrote: It seems like something that will work one time you open it, won't work the next..
Just like the real thing then :D

Thanks antto, I've been following this one almost since the beginning and it's really nice to finally be able to lay hands on it.

Congrats and thanks for this beautiful piece of software :)

It is a shame, I compared with demos of abl and phoscyon and I think VB-303 burry them both easily...

But without a proper sequencing method, I just cannot use it. It is a VST, if I need to play loops of 303 patterns I can just use the free rebirth with the same result...

I read before that even u manage to unlock midi mode, when u reload the project it's lost... Oh my.

Anyway for me still can put a sound out with reaper, and in renoise the unlocking just doesn't work.

I've read in an upper post that rebirth had proper pattern sequencing, I don't remember that, and it was a pain in the ass to program patterns too.

I don't want to make too much critics but I agree with the gui ultra small. I'm used to crappy plugs with too small fonts but here is even more :) To change from internal tempo to host tempo requires many many clicks for example. At first I even thought that it was locked or something. I have some health problems that prevent me to be in front of my computer, so usually I use the windows magnifiyng glass to read small VST fonts, but even like that I've hard to read VB-303 :D

I've tried beta 1 and 2 too, but still I cannot use midi sequencing with them, maybe someone would be alble to give me a hint here.

Again I think at first glance that it is the best sounding 303 I've ever heard, this is why I'm so sad I cannot use it. Thank you again for releasing this for free !! But sadly I see that only hardcore people with lot of time and who doesn't have health problems or mental deficiencies (I spend maybe twenty minutes unlocking it the first time in reaper ! seems my brain doesn't like maths looking like 9 - x = ?... Shame on me ok) who will can use it properly and achieve great result with what I'm already calling a gem plugin. Just unusable for normal people in 2013 :D :D

So Mr. Antto, big respect for your work, but u would make me so happy just to put a direct-to-use midi mode ;) Thanks.

sounds great! is the randomize function available for this plugin?

antto wrote:the GUI won't be bigger, i've spent too much time and whatnot to make this finished..
too bad you made it on 1024x768 screen.

sounds good though, but i'd rather pay for ABL than struggle with all those VB quirks. and sound-quality wise the difference is not that big after all.

Return to “Instruments”