Finally: Venom VB-303 v1.00

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mztk wrote:now we know why 303s used to go for 80quid.
Fifteen.
And ten.
Both as gifts.
(Wish I'd kept one ... )

Antto ,loving your 303 ,please make a 909 emulation ;)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

it's a huge amount of work, and (for good or bad) i'm not that obsessed/familiar with the 909 ;]
but i *am* tempted to make a drum machine of my own, some day
no idea if it'll be sample-based or synthesized
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Since you really seem to know your shit [:hihi:], it would be great if it was synthesised, wouldn't it? :D Just my arsehole... I mean opinion. :D This VB-303 sounds great. You must have done quite a lot of low level programming. Have you ever considered using JUCE and coding in C++? That would take your plugins to a new level, but also demand a lot of time to port the code... nah, you probably haven't considered it.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

it's not low-level, it's written in C++
JUCE isn't quite "free"
it's not worth the trouble to "port" this to JUCE (or other framework)

i've "waited" 4 years to have this so i can use it, i have other things i want to finish too, and now spare time is going to become a luxury for me again

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I've been trying this out for the past day or so and I'm pretty impressed. I'm a former 303 owner and to have such a faithful recreation of a 303 is very handy. I still have some old patterns written down from way back before I sold my 303 so I will dig them out sometime and input them in to Venom. Should be fun.

However, although I understand your reasons for wanting to use the internal sequencer in order to get 'that sound', it is quite possible to recreate convincing 303 patterns using any modern DAW, so long as you understand the way the 303 sequences.

As a former 303 owner, who has long since forgotten how to program one (it's well over 20 years since I sold mine) I do still remember the nuances of the device and the maximum and minimum note lengths and where best to place accents and slides etc.

As long as the underlying sound is correct, and your plungin definitely sounds correct to my ears, then like I say, convincing 303 patterns are possible, I do it all the time as I own ABL2 Bassline, (which can also be programmed like the real thing but I've never bothered trying.)

I've been carrying out some A/B comparisons between your emulation and the ABL Bassline and I have to say I like yours better. Yours has more powerful bottom end and seems to cut through slightly better than the ABL.

But for sequencing, personally I will always tend to go down the piano roll route. I always have done as it keeps everything in one place, which aids my song writing.

I started off using hardware back in the late eighties, and believe me it was a pain to have to program your drum patterns in to a drum machine, then chain them into a song and then sequence a couple of synths using some obscure hardware sequencer!

When I got my first Atari and software sequencer I vowed never to program another drum machine ever again!

However it looks like your 303 emulation has won the day for me. It's even better than some commercial offerings in my opinion. It looks fantastic. It's kind of like the software equivalent of the Cyclone TT303 I guess :wink:

I have no real issues with its size and I shall keep on using it even if I do have to practice mental arithmetic every time I want to sequence it!

You sem to be my generation, Tux. Everything that you said sounded very familiar.

Tux and Dux sounds like some band. :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Tux wrote:It looks fantastic. It's kind of like the software equivalent of the Cyclone TT303 I guess :wink:
ehm, no, the TT-303 fails to emulate the sequencer of the TB-303
it only *looks* like it, but doesn't behave like it

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

DuX wrote:You sem to be my generation, Tux. Everything that you said sounded very familiar.

Tux and Dux sounds like some band. :hihi:
Ha! Yeah, or a brand of ice cream!
antto wrote: ehm, no, the TT-303 fails to emulate the sequencer of the TB-303
Is that right? I have no hands on experience of the TT, but it does look the business, as does yours, so I guess they're similar in that respect.

I'm actually in the process of writing an old school Acid House track as I'm going through a bit of a revival at the mo. I was originally using the ABL for the Acid duties but I'm now gonna use the Venom instead.

I'll let you know when it's done. ;-)

antto wrote:
Tux wrote:It looks fantastic. It's kind of like the software equivalent of the Cyclone TT303 I guess :wink:
ehm, no, the TT-303 fails to emulate the sequencer of the TB-303
What does it do wrongly?
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/#diffs
it has a fancy Insta-DJ sequencer
one guy who tried to program the same pattern into both a TB-303 and TT seem to end up with something completely different on the TT, so my impression is that they simply got the gate/tie/rest behaviour kinda wrong

some features from the 303 sequencer are not present in the TT at all, but they've put the same labels on the panel :uhuhuh:

and they changed some aspects (components) from the synth circuit without compensating for it

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Apart from the lack of a tap mode, the TT303 sequencer works exactly the same way. It sounds like tap mode will probably come later in a firmware update.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

cytospur wrote:Apart from the lack of a tap mode, the TT303 sequencer works exactly the same way. It sounds like tap mode will probably come later in a firmware update.
We'll see when that happens ;)
I have a slight feeling the new firmware is vapourware

As I see, you have to press "write" after each note, this is not same as 303.
Could be wrong there, but I've seen it written by multiple people on the forums.

I would be quite amazed that track mode works the same, though I don't expect people to report that as most people dont know/use track mode.

That sucks, having to press "write" after each note. No, genuine TB works differently. All you have to do is enter the "write mode", and exit the write mode when you're finished.

Return to “Instruments”