Attn: FM and Chip synth addicts

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FMDRIVE

Aly James wrote:
zeep wrote:Maybe i'm butchering the legacy of this device, but can't the presets load with everything turned on? Maybe as an option?

Anyway, it's to the manual i go.
Actually, they do
:)
You just have to turn on the 3 others operator only if you load a tfi from the init state, and just have to do it once by the way.
Once they are turn on, they remain on until you manually turn them off.
This on off state could be use a sound design option if you automate the process on modulators, kind of hard amplitude modulation... :wink:
James i'm reading the manual and i still don't know how to turn on the operators. The manual mentions where you can turn them on but it's not clear to me which of the sliders(?) represent which of the operators.

Please can you help?

Also like some others here, i can't browse to the presets. My folders have "=" in the beginning of their names, i can't open them at all in Fmdrive. Only when i put the presets folder in the root can i get access. Though that is not a very pretty solution, it'll do for now.
Do you have plans to update the browser behavior?

Cheers

zeep wrote:
Aly James wrote:
zeep wrote:Maybe i'm butchering the legacy of this device, but can't the presets load with everything turned on? Maybe as an option?

Anyway, it's to the manual i go.
Actually, they do
:)
You just have to turn on the 3 others operator only if you load a tfi from the init state, and just have to do it once by the way.
Once they are turn on, they remain on until you manually turn them off.
This on off state could be use a sound design option if you automate the process on modulators, kind of hard amplitude modulation... :wink:
James i'm reading the manual and i still don't know how to turn on the operators. The manual mentions where you can turn them on but it's not clear to me which of the sliders(?) represent which of the operators.

Please can you help?

Also like some others here, i can't browse to the presets. My folders have "=" in the beginning of their names, i can't open them at all in Fmdrive. Only when i put the presets folder in the root can i get access. Though that is not a very pretty solution, it'll do for now.
Do you have plans to update the browser behavior?

Cheers
There is two simple ways to access each operator panels
Using the white buttons on the left
or
Clicking on the operator name inside the EG DISPLAY.

Each OPERATOR PANEL as the same layout and registers control.
TO ACTIVATE AN OPERATOR :
The lower left got a "power" button with the name of the operator above, it is red when ON, grey when OFF.
Also the envelope display will only show the operator envelope if it is ON.
ON will allow this operator to receive key on/off commands.

The right display is showing the envelope generator registers control for the chosen operator. (changes are reflected on the EG DISPLAY)
default is the original YM2612 parametric EG witch has to be set in order to work with tfi format.
Clicking on "parametric" will change the EG to a Graphic complex one (see manual).

This is weird..what do you mean by (=) in the beginning of the folders names????
keeping the path short is a solution for now but for example I can have access to files (tfi or WAV samples) in others hard drives without problem...
but..still you can load a tfi patch also by clicking on the OPEN button of the gamepad! that will open the normal windows explorer browser that will work in ALL cases, location etc :)
++
Last edited by Aly James on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think that should help too...:)
starting from the init state, infos in the video description.
++
AJ
BASIC TUTORIAL FOR THE FM PART (OLD VERSION)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRwn9UIC0g
Last edited by Aly James on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On using FMDrive as a MIDI controller with the real Hardware..
SETUP is :
FMDrive Vst (controller only version will be available for GenMDM v103)
sending MIDI data to the GenMDM Interface, plugged on Megadrive controller port 2
sending register writes to the YM2612 chip in realtime.

Here using SSG envelope as a "fake" CSM mode type Vox effect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVZqjSTsp0

Thanks for all the information Aly!

Any thoughts on a potential Mac version? :)

Hi y'all, just a reminder for those who missed it,
FMDrive has been updated to version 1.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdlj8Vjof6c

Details have been included in the Manual (also added more infos inside)
FMDrive 1.2 can work along side 1.0 and prevent compatibility issue if you have made some projects.
However you cannot share fxp or fxb bank & patches between the two versions, tfi presets are still compatible of course.
  • Rewritten fast & accurate distortion emulation "ladder effect" of MD model 1.
    PCM sample data DAC filter improved (now also benefit from the ladder effect too).
    New DAC PCM data read LOOP function (can loop the sample data with start and end point for nice fx.)
    New DAC PCM wav files can now also be browsed & imported via windows native explorer (with no location limitation).
    New Polyphony up to 6 voices.
    New optional frequency FREEZE (fixed frequency) for SPECIAL MODE.
    New solid or line view for the envelope generators display with release stage highlight.
    Improved CSM mode implementation.
    CSM mode now respond to Release rate (RR) and handle external MIDI channels more correctly.
    Glide is now available in polyphonic mode too!
    Improved MONO mode.
    Portamento or Glide mode + Pitch-bend amount control.
    (last added) Rewritten accurate envelope Timing.
    (last added) SOLVED! Preset Change bug causing GUI to overwrite YM2612 registers on GUI refresh.
    you can now safely automate midi PRG changes to make those crazy FM drum loop over only one channel again...
    + minor audio engine and GUI improvement.
GO THERE >> http://www.alyjameslab.com/fmdrive_update.html

That's all for now as you might know or not, I am actually finishing the Super PSG Vsti witch is fully dedicated to the SN76489 (master system version)...
I will make a proper post for that one as there is a lot inside, including special timer interrupt effects...

Best

AJ :D
Last edited by Aly James on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Super PSG looks set to be the ultimate squarewave + chip trix VST. I literally cannot freaking wait :)

Off to download the FMDrive update now.

A fan.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Fingers crossed for an AU version... :)

Sendy wrote:Super PSG looks set to be the ultimate squarewave + chip trix VST. I literally cannot freaking wait :)

A fan.

Your FMDrive 1.23 Update is about to be sent :D
It is a great improvement.
One great thing I have solved is the nasty program change bug that was causing certain YM2612 registers to be overwritten with the last values the GUI was on until you mask the interface.
Here comes the nasty drum loops on only one channel again!
:hihi:

bump and glad to hear more instruments are arriving. :-o
any news on an alternative fmdrive gui?

Aly James wrote:
Sendy wrote:Super PSG looks set to be the ultimate squarewave + chip trix VST. I literally cannot freaking wait :)

A fan.

Your FMDrive 1.23 Update is about to be sent :D
It is a great improvement.
One great thing I have solved is the nasty program change bug that was causing certain YM2612 registers to be overwritten with the last values the GUI was on until you mask the interface.
Here comes the nasty drum loops on only one channel again!
:hihi:
Please......AU Version? :D

FMDrive alternate GUI will be finished as soon as I find some time, it needs more work with the last update ;)
I am currently finishing the SMS PSG VST (Sega Master System SN76489AN) that have taken some time to implement extended features like software timer modulation and tracker like tables...
Next thing is the Vlinn (Linndrum vst...)
2014 hopefully will see the release of some hardware stuffs, MAC port of FMDrive etc...

Some Super Master System VST beta preview...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5vNKG4 ... LXug3hdhnA

Gridlocked wrote:Any thoughts on a potential Mac version? :)
Never gonna happen, this thing's made with Synthedit.
[Insert Signature Here]

Sendy wrote:If you haven't heard DJ Shadow's Endtroducing you're missing out.
Blandest DJ album ever. :shrug:
[Insert Signature Here]

Return to “Instruments”