Poor old FXPansion Geist and Tremor.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

c_voltage have you looked at Elecktroid from Audio Spillage? The sequencer has some very nice features as well. However there isn't any midi out as far as know.

pdxindy wrote:Tremor needs multicore functionality... depending on the settings, sometimes I cannot even play 1 instance in realtime without getting some crackles due to cpu load. Besides that I find Tremor to be the most interesting drum synth I've tried.
I agree. Feature-wise Tremors synthesis engines, the sequencer and even the GUI are VERY interesting, but unfortunately the extreme cpu usage holds it back for me :(
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Oh i am not the only one then. A standard preset in Tremor (like a preset kit with a beat) playing back will use almost a core of the laptop. That's not worth it for a beat.

Yes indeed, it uses a lot of cpu. For me though it is playable (about half of one core), but still considered high.
The reason, I think, is because all 8 synth engines loaded the same time. If we can disable the ones not used, then this might help with the cpu usage (There were some requests for that I believe).

It's the GUI that use up all the CPU. Minimize / hide the Tremor window, either in a DAW or standalone, and the CPU usage difference is like night and day.

I've complained to FX about this, also with reference to Synth Squad, and they explained that though it uses a lot of CPU it's in a low priority graphics thread that will give up its processing priority as required to prevent glitches or dropouts.

I still find it annoying though because it makes the display on my DAW slow and sluggish to update when I have a bunch of other plugs running. Surely they could do something to reduce CPU usage. It just strikes me as lazy and unoptimized.

foosnark wrote:FWIW, I like some but not all sounds people have posted from both Tremor and Drumspillage. :shrug:
I understand. What I like about Drumspillage is the effortless punch that it oozes. Regarding juicy analog tones, it's nowhere close to Tremor. Tremor also has a pretty incredible sequencer that I love because of its polyrhythm capabilities and pattern switching. It's great to remix patterns on the fly. It's just I don't like how they implemented the parameters with regard to kick sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/meedily/punchy-d ... percussion

Again, Drumspillage might not be analog sounding at times, but for the most part it just works for me.

-Sam

~Pd~ wrote:It's the GUI that use up all the CPU. Minimize / hide the Tremor window, either in a DAW or standalone, and the CPU usage difference is like night and day.

I've complained to FX about this, also with reference to Synth Squad, and they explained that though it uses a lot of CPU it's in a low priority graphics thread that will give up its processing priority as required to prevent glitches or dropouts.

I still find it annoying though because it makes the display on my DAW slow and sluggish to update when I have a bunch of other plugs running. Surely they could do something to reduce CPU usage. It just strikes me as lazy and unoptimized.
Oh! Really?! So it is GUI problem/bug?! They really should fix it then. It doesn't seem to have such heavy graphics! Strange!

EnGee wrote:
~Pd~ wrote:It's the GUI that use up all the CPU. Minimize / hide the Tremor window, either in a DAW or standalone, and the CPU usage difference is like night and day.

Oh! Really?! So it is GUI problem/bug?! They really should fix it then. It doesn't seem to have such heavy graphics! Strange!
If it is GUI then it probably gets worse the more animated transmod stuff you've got going on? (I don't know/haven't tested this.)

UncleAge wrote:c_voltage have you looked at Elecktroid from Audio Spillage?
No, unfortunately it for mac only (i'm on win)

So, despite finding Tremor much more intuitive and Geist a bit puzzling when I demo'ed, the latter was on sale at $84 and I bought it. I watched the tutorial vids and things became much more manageable. It does push the limits of one's working memory with all the layers, pads, patterns, scenes, song, effects for each of these, and whatnot. But it's very powerful.

I'm new to sampling though and I'm not exactly sure how to use Geist or more specifically, what kind of workflow to build around it. I use Reaper and I'm thinking of building the beats in Geist and adding other elements (keys, bass, etc.) in Reaper. What is your workflow like if you rely heavily on Geist? If there's something that complements it particularly well, I'd be willing to invest in it.

Also, do you recommend the Geist expanders or what are your preferred ways of getting more sounds into Geist (e.g., do you sample your external VST plugin synth drums in Geist, do you slice loops and where do the loops come from, etc.)?
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

There is another thread on this and actually you can get the SE (which is the full version with an expansion) for 49 at MF (if you are in the states)

hibidy wrote:There is another thread on this and actually you can get the SE (which is the full version with an expansion) for 49 at MF (if you are in the states)
rpm wrote:So, despite finding Tremor much more intuitive and Geist a bit puzzling when I demo'ed, the latter was on sale at $84 and I bought it...

hibidy wrote:There is another thread on this and actually you can get the SE (which is the full version with an expansion) for 49 at MF (if you are in the states)
I'm not in the US but I do buy the downloadable stuff from US vendors. And I just saw that. Anyway, nothing to be done either way. Thanks though!
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

I wonder what Fxpansion has cooking for 2014..
:borg:

I dunno. I'd love to get BFD 3 but it's too expensive. I'm not sure from what I've read and heard that there is anything that I'd oooo or ahhhhh over.

One good thing about the DL anyways is that you have it, I'm stuck here waiting for my copy :( First world problems.....

Return to “Instruments”