What VST(s) as allround sound module? (piano/strings/brass HW replacement with synth function)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rockstar_not wrote: I could have done this on my old trusty Ensoniq ESQ1 with much more ease than the Motif.
Still have mine! The ESQ-1 had an unbelievably easy to use sequencer. Of course it wasn't very functional compared to modern ones and quantization was a must due to a relatively low timing resolution. But for the time it was very powerful, intuitive and fast to work with.

I still have my ESQ-1 as well purchased new far longer ago that I care to admit. But I'd sell it in a heartbeat now since I recently got a VFX...... :love:

But back on topic I agree that a DAW is a workstation. With a rackmount CPU and good midi controller there is almost no difference in practical function and as mentioned the DAW is infinitely expandable. Whether or not any vsti(s) have the Motif's features I can't say since I've never owned one and likely never will.......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AdmiralQuality wrote:
rockstar_not wrote: I could have done this on my old trusty Ensoniq ESQ1 with much more ease than the Motif.
Still have mine! The ESQ-1 had an unbelievably easy to use sequencer. Of course it wasn't very functional compared to modern ones and quantization was a must due to a relatively low timing resolution. But for the time it was very powerful, intuitive and fast to work with.
I moved up to an Ensoniq VFX-SD from there - sold the ESQ-1 and waved bye-bye to the squelchy 'save to cassette' routine!

The VFX-SD gave up the ghost last year - sort of. Not due to it's own problem, some small piece of metal dropped through the keybed and onto the circuit boards and shorted something out. I found it after picking it up to put it into storage and heard something sliding inside. I took off the cover and voila - there was the evil little piece of something - not native to the board.

It actually still works. That keyboard had true key-aftertouch and the synth engine responded in kind. WAY expressive and unbelievable to me that we don't have that in most modern keyboards. The new Jordan Rudess rubberized keyboard has some of that going on.

rockstar_not wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:
I moved up to an Ensoniq VFX-SD from there - sold the ESQ-1 and waved bye-bye to the squelchy 'save to cassette' routine!

The VFX-SD gave up the ghost last year - sort of. Not due to it's own problem, some small piece of metal dropped through the keybed and onto the circuit boards and shorted something out. I found it after picking it up to put it into storage and heard something sliding inside. I took off the cover and voila - there was the evil little piece of something - not native to the board.

It actually still works. That keyboard had true key-aftertouch and the synth engine responded in kind. WAY expressive and unbelievable to me that we don't have that in most modern keyboards. The new Jordan Rudess rubberized keyboard has some of that going on.
I picked up an EPS a few years ago so I could test out the poly-pressure functionality in Poly-Ana. (People had told me it was working but no... it had a bug that I fixed once I was able to test it myself.) I wasn't very happy with the pressure and sold it shortly after. You really had to lean on it to get it to start -- though that was probably because it was old and needed cleaning. A few years later I fixed a pressure sensor strip on a channel-pressure keyboard by cleaning it. I bet doing the EPS would have been quite a job. 61 pressure sensors to clean!

But we digress... ;)

I still got my VFX minty mint shape. had it for over 30 years, did the kb calib fix myself, installed a double A battery holder for the backup button cell...never had any problems with it since and still has one of the best UI for making patches! the modulatable transwaves secure its place in my studio!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:I still got my VFX minty mint shape. had it for over 30 years, did the kb calib fix myself, installed a double A battery holder for the backup button cell...never had any problems with it since and still has one of the best UI for making patches! the modulatable transwaves secure its place in my studio!
I did the exact same thing with a 2xAA battery holder in my ESQ-1 for a couple weeks until I got the proper part in from DigiKey. Funny!

Never used a VFX but I bet it's great. Ensoniq were making the best bang for buck 'boards back then.

We should return this thread to its topic though. :oops:

oh yea. hahaa back on the topic.....well, energyxt can be used as a workstation VST.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thx for the great response here !!! :-)
Indeed I'm not talking a DAW, I'm talking about a vst synth or software you can integrate in a Live Host so you have something similar to workstation synth.

Yesterday I tried the Proteus VX free software, but it seems I cannot access the presets via Cantabile?
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

try dimension pro

hollo wrote:Woow i just fall in love with Yamaha EX5!
What a synth and sounds! :shock:
Haha, yes guys, so did I ! It's an older synth, but still great.
I have 2 of them, a silver and a module.

I didn't really mean a daw plugin, but something all-round plugin.
With pianos, brass, strings, ...

forte, cantibile and other similar programs can host vsti's and assist you in performing live. A new really cheap one is called intone matrix. I hope some of you guys give it a go so you can teach me how to use it.

They have a cheap version that is probably all I need for like $9 and it can store my presets and set ups for multiple vst fx like my podfarm and amplitube so I can supposedly switch on the fly. Somebody needs to check it out and let me know how fast it switches because for live use you need it to be very fast.

http://www.audiffex.com/EN/intone.html

now once you get something like that down which I need to do then you can construct sounds with multiple vsti's and switch your sound using any midi controller to switch scenes on what is playing through your vsti's.

If this program works $9 is good for me to use it since I would mainly switch fx for my guitar playing and add like one or 2 vsti's as well during my songs.

As far as replacing a motif. I have to think you could do that with NI komplete and korg legacy actually gives you the sounds of the korg m1 workstation. I'd add GForce minimonsta and all the synths I have that are free plus what I already own which is Synthmaster (major must have if your into prog rock like ELP, YES, PINK FLOYD And GENESIS,

Also Z3ta, Rapture, Dimension Pro and numerous cm and other low cost synths like scanned synth pro. I will probably think about IK multi medias total studio as well since it comes with amplitube and all those fx plus all their synths/ samples

You get those all together on one laptop and hook up a few keyboards and an audio interface and boom you are ready to take the stage. The korg 61 microkey controller comes with korg legacy collection by the way and that is 5 must have software synths right there. If you have other controllers cool if not you could add cheap used ones for $100 or less.

You might spend a few thousand to get that all together with some amplification and you can play out on multiple keyboards vs a motif and an amp your looking at a lot more money.

yessongs wrote:forte, cantibile and other similar programs can host vsti's and assist you in performing live. A new really cheap one is called intone matrix. I hope some of you guys give it a go so you can teach me how to use it.

They have a cheap version that is probably all I need for like $9 and it can store my presets and set ups for multiple vst fx like my podfarm and amplitube so I can supposedly switch on the fly. Somebody needs to check it out and let me know how fast it switches because for live use you need it to be very fast.
Thx for that pro advice ! Is that a live host Matrix? Looks indeed very good. I'm using Cantabile but have some issues with presets not accessible, some bugs and also not able to assign controllers to some plugins. So I've been searching hi and low (other candidate was BloXpander, but I choose Cantabile)

I will surely try out the plugins you just named. I tried Wavestaion (good, but some out dated sampled pianos and brass) and tried Proteus VX (same here). So I am looking for a good allround module that isn't 100s of $.
I already have some nice analog synths (I like the Synth1!) to get the real classic sounds.
But can't wait to have my laptop ready and start recreating my patches from my Yamaha EX5, wich is completely programmed for my band. :)

yessongs wrote:forte, cantibile and other similar programs can host vsti's and assist you in performing live. A new really cheap one is called intone matrix. I hope some of you guys give it a go so you can teach me how to use it.

Hm, I'm not sure if it uses some sub-sessions, so I can switch the complete setup of vst for every other song....

inTone Keys Express editor
inTone | Keys Express

4 effect chains
4 instrument slots
8 effects
Price: $9

Or would that be handled in the preset window on top (19' rack module with blue screen)
Looks very promissing dough !!! Can't wait to try it out later this evening ! :-)

Return to “Instruments”