Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
Brother Charles
KVRian

838 posts since 2 Jan, 2012, from Alberta, Canada

Postby Brother Charles; Mon May 27, 2013 8:38 pm MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Hi "Everbuddy",

Brother Charles Here. :)

Too kool. Ol' skool, vintage synth charm.

Up for a read this time 'round, we're hefting MemoryMoon's ME80 up on the reviewer's bench.

Link Here: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Luv n Greets to KVR Krew, KVR pals n' gals, and beloved RR readers. :love:
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
Mutant
KVRAF

3260 posts since 9 Oct, 2004, from Poland

Postby Mutant; Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Elo :)

Is it because i have my Flashblock active or are some features of the article not yet ready ?

"Here's a little audio snippet featuring some classic "Blade Runner" chords,"
The audio is not there, not even the usual "run this Flash plugin" button.

"Stop reading . . . go get the demo. Link is here: MemoryMoon ME80 Demo."
The link is not clickable.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !
ScottZ
KVRist

250 posts since 19 Feb, 2011

Postby ScottZ; Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 pm

the audio works for me Mutant.Not bad , but zebra and synthmaster(nori's presets) can do the same stuff a lot better of course they are more expensive though.
Brother Charles
KVRian

Postby Brother Charles; Mon May 27, 2013 10:38 pm

@Mutant: Link is active now. :) Flash player should work just fine. :shrug:
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
el-folie
KVRist

68 posts since 4 Sep, 2004

Postby el-folie; Mon May 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Neither the Arturia CS80V nor the Memorymoon ME80 are 'spot on' emulations of the original Yamaha CS-80. Both emulations got something or some things wrong.

The review gives the impression that ME80 is a correct emulation but in fact it's unfortunately not. There is some problem with the attack time of the volume envelope which is overridden by the touch response - the attack time gets shorter. This is not true to the original CS-80. Two owners of the hardware said so. With this behaviour it's not possible to have a soft volume attack at higher velocity levels which would be essential for some sounds. The ME80 envelope designer already said this is true and he didn't think the envelope to be correct in that aspect. There is a thread on the Memorymoon forum on that subject, too. I have no idea if the programmer will correct that issue but if he does the ME80 would be the most faithful recreation of the classic CS sound so far.

The CS-80V has various problems:
- touch response levels have way too much range in dB
- fx section sounds totally different (ME80 has this correct)
- ring modulator in V2 has wrong range
- some thigs I forgot...

What both emulations have in common, they both don't capture the brute metallic quality of the CS filters. If we ever see a 'spot on' emulation I'd guess this would be by a company like XILS. But the best would be an original Yamaha hardware clone. I'd be okay with a non analogue one as long as it keeps all those faders and buttons, the colours and the sound :wink:
Brother Charles
KVRian

Postby Brother Charles; Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 am

Great comments! Thanks for the feedback, el-folie.

Ok, maybe not "spot on", but I do know that it's pretty blessed good! I stand by my review; ME80 is very likely the MOST accurate emulation to date. I haven't access to an original 1978 vintage keyboard in pristine condition so I can only listen and compare super-duper carefully to available audio sources. *Grin.

I disagree with you on the soft attack/higher velocity point. The audio sample I recorded for the review clearly reproduces that kind of sound! The lead melody does not have a strong attack, yet the velocity is quite strong.

Perhaps ME80 isn't a perfect recreation, but there isn't a better emulation of the Yamaha CS80 at this juncture, in this reviewer's opinion. ;)

Especially when you compare $130 -> $40.

el-folie wrote:Neither the Arturia CS80V nor the Memorymoon ME80 are 'spot on' emulations of the original Yamaha CS-80. Both emulations got something or some things wrong.

The review gives the impression that ME80 is a correct emulation but in fact it's unfortunately not. There is some problem with the attack time of the volume envelope which is overridden by the touch response - the attack time gets shorter. This is not true to the original CS-80. Two owners of the hardware said so. With this behaviour it's not possible to have a soft volume attack at higher velocity levels which would be essential for some sounds. The ME80 envelope designer already said this is true and he didn't think the envelope to be correct in that aspect. There is a thread on the Memorymoon forum on that subject, too. I have no idea if the programmer will correct that issue but if he does the ME80 would be the most faithful recreation of the classic CS sound so far.

The CS-80V has various problems:
- touch response levels have way too much range in dB
- fx section sounds totally different (ME80 has this correct)
- ring modulator in V2 has wrong range
- some thigs I forgot...

What both emulations have in common, they both don't capture the brute metallic quality of the CS filters. If we ever see a 'spot on' emulation I'd guess this would be by a company like XILS. But the best would be an original Yamaha hardware clone. I'd be okay with a non analogue one as long as it keeps all those faders and buttons, the colours and the sound :wink:
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
EvilDragon
KVRAF

15097 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 am

Neither spot on, neither captured the true spirit of the CS-80...
el-folie
KVRist

68 posts since 4 Sep, 2004

Postby el-folie; Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 am

@ Bro:
The attack issue is not audible in the review's audio example, attack time too short, dynamic/velocity too low. The problem shows at a slow fading in attack played at different velocity. At low velocity the attack is retained. At higher and highest velocity the attack time gets shortened so far that you don't get a fade in but a straight 'pluck' kind of sound that is not there on the original CS-80 with initial touch response all up and volume attack all up. What's more weird about that is the pluck is set on top of the shortened attack time, it's like two different enevelopes are added to form a peculiar double kind of volume attack. You can clearly hear that when trying to. And two CS80 owners said this might be due to a miscalibrated VCA on the machine the ME80 was modeled on.

But this is really not something to argue about. If you like the ME80 as it is just enjoy it. The technical differences just annoy people who want an almost perfect emulation and not something that sounds clearly different at certain parameters. And to me correct envelope behaviour is as fundamental as filter tone. Of course I bought both CS-80V and ME80 as there is just no other product that resembles the original but I wish both companies would update their products to correct functioning.

@ Evil:
Yes, unfortunately. But maybe some day we'll see/hear something close :?:
FeelingMachine
KVRist

56 posts since 16 Sep, 2012

Postby FeelingMachine; Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am

The CS-80 is my all time favourite synth.

When i first tried ME80 my ears did light up, but i never imagined that it could be close to the real thing.

Beside those details mentioned, how close is it in terms of sound ? I always think vsts lack in the filter department aswell as some 'depth'.

If the ME80 gets 90% of the way there, i am one very happy bunny.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 am

el-folie wrote:@ Evil:

Hopefully in Diva someday...
Mutant
KVRAF

3260 posts since 9 Oct, 2004, from Poland

Postby Mutant; Tue May 28, 2013 3:27 am

FeelingMachine wrote:If the ME80 gets 90% of the way there, i am one very happy bunny.

If your 90% means that 9 out of 10 random people asked on the street would not know which is which, then i think it is a yes. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !
Kire
KVRist

441 posts since 30 Nov, 2002, from Sweden

Postby Kire; Tue May 28, 2013 3:29 am

EvilDragon wrote:
el-folie wrote:@ Evil:

Hopefully in Diva someday...

Vaz Modular can do it pretty nice! ;)
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 am

...but not with 0dff :)
Kire
KVRist

441 posts since 30 Nov, 2002, from Sweden

Postby Kire; Tue May 28, 2013 3:46 am

EvilDragon wrote:...but not with 0dff :)

Yeah, you're right! :)

But, the Vaz filters is pretty damn good even without...

But I would love to see some CS80 filters in Diva!!!!! :P
Numanoid
KVRAF

25999 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from a star near where you are

Postby Numanoid; Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 am

Brother Charles wrote:Hi "Everbuddy",
'ullo Bruuddah :D

Good indepth review :tu:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments