Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

662 posts since 23 Jan, 2011

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:34 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

How does the MemoryMoon ME80 compare to Arturia's CS-80V ?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

I had both and I prefer the ME80. Why not get the demo and try them side by side and see if the difference is enough for you ?
Muziksculp
KVRian

1465 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Postby Muziksculp; Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:44 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

wagtunes wrote:

Thanks,
Muziksculp

As a long time ago CS owner, neither sounds like a CS. But as emulations go, they're decent. Neither is superior to the other, IMO. I do like the ME GUI better but not by much.

A true CS emulation is going to take a crap ton of hard work that, quite honestly, I don't think anybody is going to want to put the time into doing.

Point is, if you already have the Arturia, you're not going to be getting much of an upgrade, if any at all, by getting the ME.

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

Hi wagtunes,

Thanks for the feedback.

My main issue is that the Arturia CS80V GUI is too small, and tiring to work with, I think the ME80 has a much larger GUI, and more friendly to edit, so that's one big advantage the ME80 has over the CS80V. So.. Programming the CS80V is a real pain in the eye for me, due to its small GUI, everything is squeezed in a small area, small fonts, ..etc. quite annoying to work with.

I know what you mean as far as neither one is a perfect emulation of the real CS80, but I'm guessing that one of these two must sound better as a Synth, that's what I was asking about.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
wagtunes
KVRAF

9573 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Muziksculp wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Thanks,
Muziksculp

As a long time ago CS owner, neither sounds like a CS. But as emulations go, they're decent. Neither is superior to the other, IMO. I do like the ME GUI better but not by much.

A true CS emulation is going to take a crap ton of hard work that, quite honestly, I don't think anybody is going to want to put the time into doing.

Point is, if you already have the Arturia, you're not going to be getting much of an upgrade, if any at all, by getting the ME.

Hi wagtunes,

Thanks for the feedback.

My main issue is that the Arturia CS80V GUI is too small, and tiring to work with, I think the ME80 has a much larger GUI, and more friendly to edit, so that's one big advantage the ME80 has over the CS80V. So.. Programming the CS80V is a real pain in the eye for me, due to its small GUI, everything is squeezed in a small area, small fonts, ..etc. quite annoying to work with.

I know what you mean as far as neither one is a perfect emulation of the real CS80, but I'm guessing that one of these two must sound better as a Synth, that's what I was asking about.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Yeah, the Arturia GUI is horrible, which is why I don't use the synth at all anymore. The ME80 is better but still could be improved on.

Sound wise, I just don't hear a huge difference. But I don't expect one.
Muziksculp
KVRian

Postby Muziksculp; Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:59 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

wagtunes wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Hi wagtunes,

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Yeah, the Arturia GUI is horrible, which is why I don't use the synth at all anymore. The ME80 is better but still could be improved on.

Sound wise, I just don't hear a huge difference. But I don't expect one.

Same here, I don't use the Arturia CS80 due to the horrible GUI, so my only other alternative is the ME80. if I want to have a virtual emulation of the CS80, Yeah.. non is a perfect emulation, but, if I can comfortably edit the ME80, and get creative with it, I will be able to get some custom CS80ish type sounds, that I can incorporate in my music. Which is what I'm after.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
bill45
KVRAF

2028 posts since 14 Jun, 2006

Postby bill45; Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:38 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

The cs80v has some great electric bass and guitar patches.
Rumor the next update will have larger a gui.
HunterKiller
KVRAF

1961 posts since 9 Mar, 2006

Postby HunterKiller; Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:25 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

ME80's base sound over CS-80V's any day of the week. It's just a pure pleasure to play.

However, both of them through a good reverb sound glorious.

That said, I've created some stupendous stuff with the V, totally non-CS80 sounding, you'd think I was using a whole bunch of other synths.
And with the ME, I've done some great typical CS stuff.

With the V I've also done some great CS stuff, but it has a more static sound, overall. I use them both, because I surprised myself with what the Arturia version can do, didn't expect I'd be doing that kind of music on that kind of synthesizer, with that kind of history.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden
sprnva
KVRian

1027 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Postby sprnva; Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:28 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Arturia teased an updated MiniV at Musikmesse with a new resizable GUI. So I imagine we should be seeing that rolled out across the board soon.
HunterKiller
KVRAF

1961 posts since 9 Mar, 2006

Postby HunterKiller; Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:30 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

And NEW UPDATED FILTERS!

That was always the downfall of their entire line, they had some of the worst filters in the business for the price of what you paid for each synth - esp in the early days, when each one cost 300 bucks. Hopefully the new ones are gonna be real juicy.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden
Chris-S
KVRAF

2326 posts since 10 Nov, 2013, from Germany

Postby Chris-S; Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:07 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

I was not yet able to nail the Unknown-Man sound in ME80.
Ok, it's sounds similar, but not CS80'ish. ;)
Schiffbauer
KVRist

260 posts since 28 Feb, 2004, from An old town in Central German Uplands

Postby Schiffbauer; Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Chris-S wrote:I was not yet able to nail the Unknown-Man sound in ME80.
Ok, it's sounds similar, but not CS80'ish.

I have the CS80V since many years and programmed a personal "Vangelis"-bank with CS80 patches
from all his records/CD´s by ear (even though he certainly used and fiddled only
with the presets of his CS80).
In my opinion, all of these patches sounds 1:1 in comparison to me (with the right reverb etc.).

I tried the ME80 demo too - it sounds similar, but i have the feeling there is missing
the last grain.....and my view is, the CS80V has a little bit more organic sound
BTW, it depends how to play like the original. No problems with the GUI, but
that´s my two cent......

and for sure - absolutely no problem with the "Unknown man" sound in the CS80V.....
Muziksculp
KVRian

Postby Muziksculp; Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:05 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Did Arturia announce when the new CS80V update will be released ?
Chris-S
KVRAF

2326 posts since 10 Nov, 2013, from Germany

Postby Chris-S; Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:49 pm Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Ok, downloaded the cs80-V demo, to compare with ME80.
First diff I see: The sliders have a much greater range. For example the max. VCA attack time in ME80 is 1 sec (same as cs80 hardware), while cs80-V has 20 secs.

The GUI is indeed much to small.
TheNeverScene
KVRist

88 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Postby TheNeverScene; Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Old thread, but I picked up ME80 about a week ago and I love it. No clue how it compares to a real CS80, but I am blown away by the big fat funky basses this thing can make. Took a minute to figure out the structure and how to get the filter resonance going, but my trusty Moog emus have been replaced :D

Mike
Brother Charles
KVRian

838 posts since 2 Jan, 2012, from Alberta, Canada

Postby Brother Charles; Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 pm Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

Yeah, the ME-80 is a stellar tome of code. The "Big" interface version takes care of the size concerns.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
Examigan
KVRAF

4123 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:46 am Re: MemoryMoon ME80 Review - Real "Virtual" CS80

It would be great if u-he created a full emulation of the CS-80. It would be a ton of work though, and I am sure they are already very busy.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments