Waves Element - Worth buying?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
Mainly looking for a simple but good sounding va that's light on cpu.
If Element does not work then Tone2 Saurus maybe ?

Ingo
Yeah, Saurus or maybe FXpansion Strobe are both pretty good alternatives to Element.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

i thought strobe was meant to be cpu heavy?

gamecat666 wrote:i thought strobe was meant to be cpu heavy?
Not any more than Element from what I've noticed.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:FXpansion Strobe - pretty good alternatives to Element.
I dunno, Strobe only got 1 OSC right?

Ingonator wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
Mainly looking for a simple but good sounding va that's light on cpu.
Tone2 Saurus maybe ?

Ingo
Thanks completely forgot about that but it's out of my price range, i was wondering if Element add something new, it does seem to have a nice punch. Looks like it sits somewhere between Strobe and Trilian in terms of features but i'm looking for a va to complement what i already have. :)

Just saw the add, Element worked when i tried the demo but it was a while ago. Forgot to say i use Massive a lot but people seem to rank Element along side it. I feel like i've got the bases covered (geddit?) but Element is tempting for the price!
Last edited by musikmachine on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Numanoid wrote:
Sorta. It has one main oscillator, but several different waveforms and suboscillators that you can mix in with it, plus detune, stack, sync, and PWM. A little different implementation than Element or Saurus, but still a lot more flexible than it might look on paper.

I think I would rather compare it with a golden oldie like VAZ Plus, which got 2 osc's, modulation matrix options a plenty, and also a nice sequencer section.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Use the scroll wheel :roll:
After getting used to it, I find that very pleasant as it saves me a lot of clicking. Just hover the mouse of the control and scroll...
Doesn't work for me. I have to click a control before the mousewheel can edit it, by which time I'm clicking so I may as well be able to drag and edit the value easily... And while the scroll wheel is easier, it still has some weird acceleration issues. I just don't understand what's wrong with a linear 1:1 response from the mouse to the knob, you know, like every other program's GUI ever pretty much. Anyone who'se used a mouse every day for most of their lives knows how to get small or big movements out of it. I'm not saying this to be negative, wrestling with these controls is tiring. At least there should be an option to turn it off...
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:...I just don't understand what's wrong with a linear 1:1 response from the mouse to the knob, you know, like every other program's GUI ever pretty much. Anyone who'se used a mouse every day for most of their lives knows how to get small or big movements out of it. I'm not saying this to be negative, wrestling with these controls is tiring. At least there should be an option to turn it off...
You will notice the very fine resolution of the slider and knob values. I suppose this is to get microscopic with the parameter setting (if one so desires). Changing the Shape of the envelope also reflects a change in how the values are incremented exp/log. Everything appears precisely measured in ms. I notice the different 'feel' of moving the controls when doing so slowly. Faster motions are better. I can see your point when adjusting something by ear, yet it hasn't leaped out at me as a major issue. There's much more about this one that is making a good impression ;)

snigelx wrote:
Sendy wrote:...I just don't understand what's wrong with a linear 1:1 response from the mouse to the knob, you know, like every other program's GUI ever pretty much. Anyone who'se used a mouse every day for most of their lives knows how to get small or big movements out of it. I'm not saying this to be negative, wrestling with these controls is tiring. At least there should be an option to turn it off...
You will notice the very fine resolution of the slider and knob values. I suppose this is to get microscopic with the parameter setting (if one so desires). Changing the Shape of the envelope also reflects a change in how the values are incremented exp/log. Everything appears precisely measured in ms. I notice the different 'feel' of moving the controls when doing so slowly. Faster motions are better. I can see your point when adjusting something by ear, yet it hasn't leaped out at me as a major issue. There's much more about this one that is making a good impression ;)
It's a good synth, if it wasn't, these control issues wouldn't bother me because I wouldn't give it the time of day. I actually have a similar problem with my Elektron Analog Four which (obviously) is hardware. The knobs have this weird slow motion while pressing and turning the knob moves in larger steps (which are just that - steps! Stepping on an analog filter - yummy! :roll: ). But there's no happy medium, which is where most cool filter-squelching lies.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

ultra analog might be comparable can be just as punchy, lower cpu, much better sounding pads imo. I was able to replicate some of the patches I liked from element.

Sendy wrote:I actually have a similar problem with my Elektron Analog Four which (obviously) is hardware. The knobs have this weird slow motion while pressing and turning the knob moves in larger steps (which are just that - steps! Stepping on an analog filter - yummy! :roll: ). But there's no happy medium, which is where most cool filter-squelching lies.
$1150 and the filter steps?? :-o :shock:

Sendy wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Use the scroll wheel :roll:
After getting used to it, I find that very pleasant as it saves me a lot of clicking. Just hover the mouse of the control and scroll...
Doesn't work for me. I have to click a control before the mousewheel can edit it, by which time I'm clicking so I may as well be able to drag and edit the value easily... And while the scroll wheel is easier, it still has some weird acceleration issues. I just don't understand what's wrong with a linear 1:1 response from the mouse to the knob, you know, like every other program's GUI ever pretty much. Anyone who'se used a mouse every day for most of their lives knows how to get small or big movements out of it. I'm not saying this to be negative, wrestling with these controls is tiring. At least there should be an option to turn it off...
Must be a OS or DAW issue. I have only tested the stand-alone version and there all I have to do is click anywhere on the user interface. Then mouse-over is enough to select different controls and set them with the scroll wheel.

cryophonik wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Sorta. It has one main oscillator, but several different waveforms and suboscillators that you can mix in with it, plus detune, stack, sync, and PWM. A little different implementation than Element or Saurus, but still a lot more flexible than it might look on paper.
Especially with the transmod system. ;)

Numanoid wrote:I think I would rather compare it with a golden oldie like VAZ Plus, which got 2 osc's, modulation matrix options a plenty, and also a nice sequencer section.

One question, does Element it sound like a Juno 106 cause that's what i've been reading. :)

Return to “Instruments”