Waves Element - Worth buying?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote:
snigelx wrote:
Sendy wrote:...I just don't understand what's wrong with a linear 1:1 response from the mouse to the knob, you know, like every other program's GUI ever pretty much. Anyone who'se used a mouse every day for most of their lives knows how to get small or big movements out of it. I'm not saying this to be negative, wrestling with these controls is tiring. At least there should be an option to turn it off...
You will notice the very fine resolution of the slider and knob values. I suppose this is to get microscopic with the parameter setting (if one so desires). Changing the Shape of the envelope also reflects a change in how the values are incremented exp/log. Everything appears precisely measured in ms. I notice the different 'feel' of moving the controls when doing so slowly. Faster motions are better. I can see your point when adjusting something by ear, yet it hasn't leaped out at me as a major issue. There's much more about this one that is making a good impression ;)
It's a good synth, if it wasn't, these control issues wouldn't bother me because I wouldn't give it the time of day. I actually have a similar problem with my Elektron Analog Four which (obviously) is hardware. The knobs have this weird slow motion while pressing and turning the knob moves in larger steps (which are just that - steps! Stepping on an analog filter - yummy! :roll: ). But there's no happy medium, which is where most cool filter-squelching lies.
It sounds like what the mopho does, it accelerates the faster i turn it. Is that what the knobs do on Element?
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote:One question, does Element it sound like a Juno 106 cause that's what i've been reading. :)
You mean, to compare it with for example Tal U-NO-LX ?

I think Element is a more versatile synth, than a pure emulation.

Numanoid wrote:
musikmachine wrote:One question, does Element it sound like a Juno 106 cause that's what i've been reading. :)
You mean, to compare it with for example Tal U-NO-LX ?

I think Element is a more versatile synth, than a pure emulation.
I found a Dubstep bank for it yesterday. :o

Yeah i was just wondering if it nailed the analog sound well, i'm not looking for an emulation, just something with balls! :D

Element is full of balls and whistles. You gotta love how these synths are same same but different. Sometimes those differences just don't leap out at the programmer after 10 min demo. Sometimes you have to intimate with it and try some complex positions...patchings.

PS Element doesn't sound like my J60..which is more or less the -edit- hairy ape version of the 106. :hihi: But I am sure similar Juno-ish patches are just a brain step away

I've had a noodle with it for just over a day now and I have to say, once I started digging in a bit more (demoing a lot more of the patches and making some of my own) I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad little synth for this price (NOT $200 though... definitely not worth $200 in my book!).

BTW, anyone tying to use it in FL, use the VST3 waveshell in FL, it's rock solid.
Eternitysound VST Banks

GeorgeZ wrote:I've had a noodle with it for just over a day now and I have to say, once I started digging in a bit more (demoing a lot more of the patches and making some of my own) I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad little synth for this price (NOT $200 though... definitely not worth $200 in my book!).
+1. I thought it was a good synth when I demo'ed it upon its release and almost bought it at the intro price - glad I waited. I have a feeling that I'm going to get a lot more than my money's worth out of it. The interface may be simple (not saying that's a bad thing), but it's still very capable of complex sounds. I can already see where some people might want more mod slots and another EG, though. I really dig the arp and also using the step sequencer as a mod source to create wild tempo-synched filter modulations. Love that you can lock in the arp and MIDI settings while flipping through presets.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

It's a different synth with a own sound (which is of course great).

But the feature list is not very long. Unison is very limited, it's only doubling, no control of stereo spread, detune, amount of voices "stacking", nothing. Effects are usable not many options eg. the reverb and chorus are only one knob for the mix level! No modulation time, room size.. nothing.
Some interesting ideas like the switchable DC/VC oscillators and that oscillator 1 can be modulated with a sine wave.

The Arp is very limited, no velocity or binding of steps.

Yes, I think it's worth $30 but not $200 ;)
To be honest, I have no interest for this synth. They started with a good idea but doesn't bring the whole thing to a new level. It stopped somewhere in the middle of the idea. Maybe that Waves had some limits how much they pay the developer.

Just noticing that the EQ's HP and LP filter are mod targets. I like the phase inversion on the modulation assignments as well. And individual Env gen stages from the Mod and VCA Env can be modulated separately, as well as their curvatures. Modulation amt in the matrix can be modulated by other modulation routings. Portamento is a destination. FX amt (Delay mix + rate seperately) can be targeted in the matrix. Mod slots can be bypassed with a MIDI-controllable switch (and phase inv). OSC 1 has a Sine waveshaper. Nearly every control is MIDI automatable (this incl Mod Source + Destination and individual Arp/Seq steps/pitches). Multiple (unrelated) controls can be selected temp linked and adjusted simultaneously.

I've bought elements and simply LOVED it!
Lots of possibilities!

snigelx wrote: OSC 1 has a Sine waveshaper.
The "Sine Mod" feature is adding FM using a hidden additional Sine oscilator as a modulator.
The result of this could be used as a modulator for Osc2 using the "FM" amount.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

A few of my highly personal observations:

-The oscillators are truly great. I love the one-knob approach that can radically change the timbre of the oscillators.
-The filter is no jaw-dropper but sounds great as long as you're not overusing the resonance.
-Envelopes are cool - you can make them real snappy.
-Effects are all good apart from the reverb which really doesn't work with a one-knob approach.
-Arpeggiator/Step Sequencer is very nice and capable as well.
-The equalizer have a distinct bite and works very well on synthetic sounds.
-The unison is decent and gives a bigger sound - but you cannot push it into the stratosphere.

All in all - Element is actually a DAMN FINE synth. Yesterday when I was playing around with it, I felt my respect of it rise with almost every function I tried.

The only time I felt 'oooh... this sucks' was with the reverb. The sound of the verb is not bad, it's just that the one-knob approach really really don't work with a reverb.

I've already planned a soundset for this one.

If you are on the fence - get it.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Ingonator wrote:
snigelx wrote: OSC 1 has a Sine waveshaper.
The "Sine Mod" feature is adding FM using a hidden additional Sine oscilator as a modulator.
The result of this could be used as a modulator for Osc2 using the "FM" amount.
Ingo
Yes I silently slapped myself for saying waveshaper but then I thought..whatever and went down for a bite. ;P Yes, FM modulating the 1st OSC..Not statically shaping it. In fact, DCO and VCO settings are affected differently by the modulation (something about a "jitter" in the pitching response with the VCO and the DCO has phase reset upon triggering).

It's raining out. It's an Element-al day in this case. har har

snigelx wrote:Element is full of balls and whistles. You gotta love how these synths are same same but different. Sometimes those differences just don't leap out at the programmer after 10 min demo. Sometimes you have to intimate with it and try some complex positions...patchings.

PS Element doesn't sound like my J60..which is more or less the -edit- hairy ape version of the 106. :hihi: But I am sure similar Juno-ish patches are just a brain step away
Yeah can't know a synth intimately overnight, it takes time and you have to twiddle those bits until it sings.:o :hihi:

GeorgeZ wrote:I've had a noodle with it for just over a day now and I have to say, once I started digging in a bit more (demoing a lot more of the patches and making some of my own) I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad little synth for this price (NOT $200 though... definitely not worth $200 in my book!).

BTW, anyone tying to use it in FL, use the VST3 waveshell in FL, it's rock solid.
It's an odd one cause i have synths that i paid more for that i think are worth it so is a $30 synth a good purchase? :?

I may have to pass right now, i'm trying to focus on fx right now but if it turns up in the MP i think i'll get it. :)

Is it down to 30 bucks already? I thought it was 30 euros or 40 dollars...

Anyway, you can have my license :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”