Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Alternatives to Absynth?

Melodyshine
KVRist

228 posts since 26 Aug, 2010

Postby Melodyshine; Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:33 am Alternatives to Absynth?

I tried the Absynth demo. There are many so great sounding presets, I don't know whether Alchemy or Synthmaster can do all this stuff?

My favorite presets are presets like "Big Snorer", "Chime Pad 1" - "Chime Pad 4" , Creaker, Frozen Ocean, Ice Bell, Lonely Ocean, Magnetic Ambi, Panning in April, Perfect Harmony, Quark Reflections, Snowflake, Sudden Thaw, Absolute, ...

I really love them (for ambient/dreampop/shoegaze/psychedelic stuff), but the problem is: There are many presets like Magnetic Ambi which make clicks sometimes. It's a known issue, often caused by the effect "Pipe" and Native Instruments doesn't make an update.
So are there alternatives?

I tried the Synthmaster demo and I also have a few Alchemy Player libraries(Planet Earth, Light Space,..) but they don't seem to get the Absynth sound?
Shask
KVRist

49 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby Shask; Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 am

I've always thought Crystal was Absynth-ish....

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/crystal_by_green_oak
pdxindy
KVRAF

11979 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 am

If you really love Absynth, use Absynth
EvilDragon
KVRAF

14551 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 am

To me, Absynth has its own world of sound that is not possible to approximate with any other plugin... So I'd just continue using Absynth.
Taoist
KVRist

144 posts since 2 Nov, 2008, from Ozarks

Postby Taoist; Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:14 am

Alchemy is the most Absynth like synth that Ive heard. Very very similar. I to this day have not found another electric piano preset that is as beautiful as Absynth's "number 59" preset.
Who is "I"? What is "I"? This has yet to be explained.
Ingonator
KVRAF

11336 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 am

EvilDragon wrote:To me, Absynth has its own world of sound that is not possible to approximate with any other plugin... So I'd just continue using Absynth.

Same here. Besides some others I got lots of the Tim Conrardy sounds for it (RIP Tim...) and those are just awesome.

This one for example:
http://www.camelaudio.com/StarscapeAbsynthSounds.php

Ingo
Ingo Weidner - Sound Design
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9 / Studio One 3 / Bitwig 2
Neon Breath
KVRAF

2424 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Postby Neon Breath; Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 am

Like it or not, Absynth is one of a kind synth. It is a too complex beast to be able to have an Absynth doppelgänger. You might be able to achieve at some point similar sounds & pads with Alchemy for example, but Absynth is truly unique that's for sure.
SODDI
KVRAF

3341 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Postby SODDI; Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am

I have to concur with most of the folks here. Absynth is a one of a kind and makes very good Absynth-y type sounds - airy, spacious, richly textured. But those textures don't always sit well in every mix. At their best they can be... indefinite.

I have yet to encounter those clicks you mention. I have heard some funky stuff happening when I abuse the Resonators and Aetherizer, but those can be quickly programmed out.

Synthmaster is a very synth-y synth, a relatively straightforward analog-type synth with a number of different synthesis engines and incredibly rich modulation routings. It's VERY definite. I'm just learning it.

Two different tools.

Do you own Reaktor? There are a number of different ensembles available which would work great in the type of music you're making - Grainstates, Subharmonic, SpaceDrone. The user library is filled with ensembles you might like. And of course, should you choose, you can build your own.
Melodyshine
KVRist

Postby Melodyshine; Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 pm

I have just downloaded the izotope Iris trial and read their beginner tutorial. The sound quality is really nice, but it's too expensive with all the sound libraries and it also seems to have clicks sometimes. And there aren't many effects, just chorus, distortion, delay and reverb and Izotope Iris isn't multimbral (for Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3 and the SUB), right? Why haven't they done this? Then you could use your own delay for Sample 1, etc..
HanafiH
KVRian

1242 posts since 5 Mar, 2001, from London, UK

Postby HanafiH; Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:22 pm

Melodyshine wrote: It's a known issue, often caused by the effect "Pipe" and Native Instruments doesn't make an update.

That doesn't sound right to me. It sounds more like voice stealing because the polyphonic voice count is too low for the number of incoming notes. When a new note is needed the synth may click, as it steals a voice from the currently playing set, to cover the incoming note.

A pipe effect could drastically extend the release time for every note, making a voice stealing glitch much more probable. Increase the number of voices if you can.
PatchAdamz
KVRAF

3730 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 pm

pdxindy wrote:If you really love Absynth, use Absynth

Yes, Absynth is still being updated and stands up to some of the best.
zerocrossing
KVRAF

8982 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm pro Absynth too, but in that realm I also like...

Iris
Alchemy
Poseidon
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
swartzfeger
KVRist

107 posts since 18 Feb, 2011, from Pittsburgh

Postby swartzfeger; Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Melodyshine wrote:I have just downloaded the izotope Iris trial and read their beginner tutorial. The sound quality is really nice, but it's too expensive with all the sound libraries and it also seems to have clicks sometimes. And there aren't many effects, just chorus, distortion, delay and reverb and Izotope Iris isn't multimbral (for Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3 and the SUB), right? Why haven't they done this? Then you could use your own delay for Sample 1, etc..

I love Absynth, and yes, there's nothing like it.

I bought Iris on sale for $149 and it's probably one of my wisest purchases, even considering it's shortcomings (multitimbral, etc).

Check out Simon Stockhausen's [url]http://www.patchpool.de[url], he has both Absynth and Iris patches. His Iris Patchpool subscription is by *FAR* the best 3rd party expansion I've ever purchased. Matter of fact, it was Simon's patches that sold me on Iris.

Poking around in his presets have helped me understand the power of Iris. Not nearly the options or routability of Absynth, but Iris strikes just the right balance of power and accessibility for me.

Alchemy... meh. I really, really want to like it. Really dig the interface. It just sounds so... freeze dried, in a digital kind of way. Don't know what it is about its sound engine, but it doesn't have the 'ahhhh' factor for ambient like Absynth or Iris gives me.[/url]
Melodyshine
KVRist

Postby Melodyshine; Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 am

HanafiH wrote:
Melodyshine wrote: It's a known issue, often caused by the effect "Pipe" and Native Instruments doesn't make an update.

That doesn't sound right to me. It sounds more like voice stealing because the polyphonic voice count is too low for the number of incoming notes. When a new note is needed the synth may click, as it steals a voice from the currently playing set, to cover the incoming note.

A pipe effect could drastically extend the release time for every note, making a voice stealing glitch much more probable. Increase the number of voices if you can.

I have increased the polyphony but it doesn't change anything with the preset magnetic ambi.
It's a known issue: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=104599
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=165341
Melodyshine
KVRist

Postby Melodyshine; Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:34 am

By the way does the full version of Absynth have automation? Because the demo version doesn't have it apparently.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments