Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Alternatives to Absynth?

jancivil
KVRAF

12934 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

liv wrote:Imho Absynth can be so organic and unique theres simply no alternative to it at all.
Comb filters with wave shaper feedback with control of the amount and tone for crying out loud. Why don't every developer implement that. Allpass filters with self res and wave shaper feedback path, again with controllable amount. Blend the amounts with velocity or CC controlled breakpoint(s). Both as organic as physical objects and organisms.

Yes! To expand on what I said about multiple roles of a patch, the Channels tend to behave differently according to velocity, in addition to range; the harmonic structure of the Osc and the filters... so the harmonic construction may be scooped on the left where it's present on the right and so forth.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

9595 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:24 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

inkwarp wrote:Absynth is complex. ok if you just relied on the presets i guess. but to clunky and obtuse.
i would say if you have reaktor you would never need absynth.

You know, I'm pretty much KVR's resident Reaktor fanboi and I wouldn't say that. Which, frankly, is frustrating because if there was ever a synth that I would like to have in Reaktor format it's Absynth.

Absynth is in the same class of synths from NI, to me, as FM8. It's old, its gui is very outdated, not even going to listen to you if you disagree, it's filters are both cool, and shit at the same time, they have some cool features, but they are so 2005 in terms of their technology. However, it's deep and unique in ways that make it nearly impossible to replace. You could, in theory, recreate all of the bits of it in Reaktor, but, AFAIK, many of them are not there now and would be awfully frustrating to try and do to Reaktor owing to Reaktor's own GUI building limitations.
Kalamata Kid
KVRAF

2847 posts since 26 Jul, 2001, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Postby Kalamata Kid; Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

ghettosynth wrote:
inkwarp wrote:Absynth is complex. ok if you just relied on the presets i guess. but to clunky and obtuse.
i would say if you have reaktor you would never need absynth.

You know, I'm pretty much KVR's resident Reaktor fanboi and I wouldn't say that. Which, frankly, is frustrating because if there was ever a synth that I would like to have in Reaktor format it's Absynth.

Absynth is in the same class of synths from NI, to me, as FM8. It's old, its gui is very outdated, not even going to listen to you if you disagree, it's filters are both cool, and shit at the same time, they have some cool features, but they are so 2005 in terms of their technology. However, it's deep and unique in ways that make it nearly impossible to replace. You could, in theory, recreate all of the bits of it in Reaktor, but, AFAIK, many of them are not there now and would be awfully frustrating to try and do to Reaktor owing to Reaktor's own GUI building limitations.

I am not as advanced in digital music as ghettosynth but I really like Reaktor but love ABsynth. I will not mention the GUI nor its specs but will say I love the sound!

I would however like to see or hear the Reaktor replacement of ABsynth. Is there one that I should check out? Not saying this to be argumentative but because I have a genuine interest on the subject.

Would I would like to see in ABsynth 6 would that it will be multi-touch friendly so the GUI would touchable and played like an instrument.
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.
dnekm
KVRAF

3298 posts since 19 Apr, 2005, from The City Beneath the Sea

Postby dnekm; Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:39 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

Please do away with the limit on sample length.....

And have Absynth recognize loop points set within the sample.

That would save so much work....
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

dnekm wrote:Please do away with the limit on sample length.....

Those even seem like reasonable requests that the glacially slow dev could actually finish by 2020 or so.
wagtunes
KVRAF

8671 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:43 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

dnekm wrote:Please do away with the limit on sample length.....

Yeah, this would be great. But you do realize that NI is never touching this software again, right?
midi_transmission
KVRist

56 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Postby midi_transmission; Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:41 pm Re: Re:

BBFG# wrote:
jancivil wrote:
BBFG# wrote:So far, I have to say the NI sounds in all of their synth forms are 'solid' and can even be called 'Pristine', Somehow though, they also sound and feel 'sterile'.
Seems like third party sounds are mandatory to make them better.

think about that statement though: doesn't it really indicate that the difference is the quality of the sound designer working with the synth?

Absolutely! And the one I like best (for their synth specific plugins) is Absynth. Both Massive and many of the Reaktor plugins seem to have a particular frequency in the higher range that defies being EQ'd out (to my ears). I call it its 'Fran Drescher' character. It might be useful in some arrangements, but mostly, it's just annoying. Absynth does have a unique character I find more useful (albeit becoming 'nostalgic' as other synths progress beyond it).

Yes +1... I find only very few sounds that I like with NI synth. Not sure why....
acYm
KVRist

497 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Postby acYm; Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

wagtunes wrote:
dnekm wrote:Yeah, this would be great. But you do realize that NI is never touching this software again, right?

which is probably for the better, when you look at what can happen when NI "updates" some plugins...
sfxsound3
KVRist

334 posts since 30 Mar, 2016

Postby sfxsound3; Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 pm Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

gremlinmoon wrote:In a recentish podcast the Absynth dev said he is always working on Absynth. He also said he is working on a modal synthesis related project.

Yes, I listened to that podcast, and he said that at the start, he had some programming skills, but not much, and certainly nothing DSP-related. That was late 90's. So he just scoured the net, found algos and glued them together. Then met NI and got lucky. Everything after that has been an improvement and honing of what's basically a hack job. And the core of Absynth is late 90's - early 00's. He'd do many things differently now, he said, but for backward compatibility.

That was a real insight into what Absynth actually is...........
martinjuenke
KVRist

464 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 am Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

sfxsound3 wrote:
gremlinmoon wrote:In a recentish podcast the Absynth dev said he is always working on Absynth. He also said he is working on a modal synthesis related project.

Yes, I listened to that podcast, and he said that at the start, he had some programming skills, but not much, and certainly nothing DSP-related. That was late 90's. So he just scoured the net, found algos and glued them together. Then met NI and got lucky. Everything after that has been an improvement and honing of what's basically a hack job. And the core of Absynth is late 90's - early 00's. He'd do many things differently now, he said, but for backward compatibility.

At core I am late 50's and I'm pretty cool (says my wife...) :D 8)
Music was my first love ...
ambient music
http://www.mrtnjnk.bandcamp.com
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:39 am Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

sfxsound3 wrote:

That REALLY explains a lot.
sfxsound3
KVRist

334 posts since 30 Mar, 2016

Postby sfxsound3; Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:09 am Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

martinjuenke wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:

You were made by a programmer with no previous experience in coding humans? He just read a few papers and said: 'Hm-hmmm, let's see....'
martinjuenke
KVRist

464 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 am Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

sfxsound3 wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:

You were made by a programmer with no previous experience in coding humans? He just read a few papers and said: 'Hm-hmmm, let's see....'

Wow, I'm in the MATRIX now!!! :borg:
Music was my first love ...
ambient music
http://www.mrtnjnk.bandcamp.com
ErikH
KVRist

444 posts since 16 May, 2012, from Antwerp

Postby ErikH; Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

Hell, I don't give a damn about how it was coded. I love Falcon, and I love Zebra, but I do know that after all these years Absynth is still the one I would choose if I only could keep only one.
Chromaphone would be my second.

I cannot explain, but Absynth has something purely magical. Some women are real beauty queens, but they don't have 'it'. Some are not even very pretty but they do have 'it'.
What's 'it'? I can't explain.

When it comes to synths, Absynth has 'it'.
Falcon can do much more, but it does not have 'it'. It's a date with an interesting intellectual talk.
Absynth is pure discovery, each time again...
I think I know I mean err... "Yes" but it's all wrong... that is I think I disagree...
Kalamata Kid
KVRAF

2847 posts since 26 Jul, 2001, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Postby Kalamata Kid; Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am Re: Alternatives to Absynth?

ErikH wrote:Hell, I don't give a damn about how it was coded. I love Falcon, and I love Zebra, but I do know that after all these years Absynth is still the one I would choose if I only could keep only one.
Chromaphone would be my second.

I cannot explain, but Absynth has something purely magical. Some women are real beauty queens, but they don't have 'it'. Some are not even very pretty but they do have 'it'.
What's 'it'? I can't explain.

When it comes to synths, Absynth has 'it'.
Falcon can do much more, but it does not have 'it'. It's a date with an interesting intellectual talk.
Absynth is pure discovery, each time again...

Not sure if I could have said it any better.

Long live Absynth! :love:
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments