Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
Igro
KVRAF

4077 posts since 26 Apr, 2007, from Noosphere

Postby Igro; Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:30 pm

If NI Razor had an option to have ALL of its effects in a user defined order and some extended modulation, then it would be sort of analogy (not entirely, of course)
BBFG#
KVRAF

5322 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:45 pm

synaesthesia wrote:Absynth scares people off a bit because it's GUI is quite unusual and a bit intimidating.

As well as the lovely, atmospheric ambient stuff, I really like Absynth for creating drifty analogue sounds.

'Scary' is not a word I would use to describe it all. Doesn't even seem intimidating at this point. But it just doesn't seem very interesting either.
But give me some more time with it.
psychoxkps
KVRian

535 posts since 24 Nov, 2010

Postby psychoxkps; Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:22 pm

I hope spectrasonics....
trust analog.... (owner of digital)
liquidsound
KVRAF

2929 posts since 30 May, 2006, from Hollow Earth

Postby liquidsound; Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Taoist wrote:Alchemy is the most Absynth like synth that Ive heard. Very very similar. I to this day have not found another electric piano preset that is as beautiful as Absynth's "number 59" preset.
You mean number 57?
MuLab.Ableton.Diva.Zebra.Repro-1.Dune2.The Legend.ArcSyn.Spire.TAL
djshire
KVRian

621 posts since 10 Jun, 2011, from Detroit

Postby djshire; Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Absynth is a wonderful synth. I still need to make that demo for that preset pack I won back round Christmas.....
monk_volcano
KVRist

36 posts since 12 Nov, 2005

Postby monk_volcano; Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Wait is this kvraudio??? Only one person has mentioned zebra.
pdxindy
KVRAF

13278 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:02 pm

monk_volcano wrote:Wait is this kvraudio??? Only one person has mentioned zebra.

Now two... ;-)
spirit
KVRian

738 posts since 12 Apr, 2002, from Terra Australis

Postby spirit; Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:11 pm

I always found Absynth was a dog to program, then after I got Reaktor I found many ensembles were just as good or better than Absynth for what I wanted. Then there was NI's expensive upgrades year after year, so I just gave up. Loads of other synths cover Absynth's territory very well now: basically any reasonably complex synth with multi-point envelopes will replicate its abilities.
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

13963 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:31 pm

With the big difference that Absynth has a granular engine and a (very basic) sample player which most other "synths" don't have. So the only comparison would be Alchemy really.
spirit
KVRian

738 posts since 12 Apr, 2002, from Terra Australis

Postby spirit; Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Wot!? Reaktor can cover everything it does using about 2% of its available library, and Omni could have Absynth for a morning tea snack. And they're just two I own - and I have very few synths these days. I'd also sooner go for a few Hollow Sun Kontakt instruments before bothering with NI's faded star.
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

Postby Sampleconstruct; Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Can Omni import user samples?
BBFG#
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Sampleconstruct wrote:Can Omni import user samples?

Heheh, absolutely not!
Another thing I can't get past with Omnisphere is the sound design and its Persing connection to past Rolands which kind of makes it the same with a thousand more bells and whistles (and a burning piano of course). It still somehow has 'that Persing sound'.

And Reaktor needs the SkannerXT module I believe?
Like I've said before, NI has a solid sound but still has a very sterile quality to me.

Alchemy is the preferred one here.
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

Postby Sampleconstruct; Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 pm

The good thing today is that we all have so much to choose from, although I would love to see more hybrid synths like Alchemy. Combine the granular engine of Padshop Pro with the resynthesis algos of Metasynth, the sample player of Kontakt and the modulation concept of Alchemy, then add the Zebra modular approach for VA and include the spectral tools from GRM, sprinkle the Valhalla reverb and delay algos over all of that and woaaa - that would be my dream machine.
BBFG#
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Sampleconstruct wrote:The good thing today is that we all have so much to choose from, although I would love to see more hybrid synths like Alchemy. Combine the granular engine of Padshop Pro with the resynthesis algos of Metasynth, the sample player of Kontakt and the modulation concept of Alchemy, then add the Zebra modular approach for VA and include the spectral tools from GRM, sprinkle the Valhalla reverb and delay algos over all of that and woaaa - that would be my dream machine.

I have to +1 on that.
I'm even open to allow whatever Spectra has to offer into the mix too.
zerocrossing
KVRAF

9233 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:42 am

Absynth was my first software synth. I remember hearing it at a NI demo booth at MacWorld... not even sure the version or the date, but I remember thinking, "Holy crap, this thing is almost a Synclavier!" Of course, it wasn't (isn't) but what I meant was the "spirit" of an experimental synth that could deal with samples was there. I bought it at once and I'm one of those guys who's "never looked back."

One thing it isn't though, is a "bread and butter" synth. Can you make your basic synth sounds with it? Yeah, you can, and actually pretty well, but it would be like driving a formula race car down to the Kwik-e-mart for a 40. Sure, you could do it, but there are much better choices for that task. (1960 Plymouth Fury :hihi: ) So yeah, if I'm looking to make a big Jupiter pad, I'll go for Diva or some other tool made for the task. If I want to turn an audio sample into a big ambient pad that I can modulate into an entire piece of music, Absynth's still one of my go to instruments for this task.

I'll also agree that NI stuff can sound pretty "cold" and "steril" compared too many other instruments on the market. That's their character though, and I like it. Especially when juxtaposed against one of my hardware analogs or guitar. Nothing brings out the warmth of analog synths and tube amps like the coldness of synths like the NI offerings. I'll also bring up that over the years they have actually started to sound a bit warmer than they did in the beginning.

As for the UI... I've always liked it for the most part, though some parts are a bit confusing and there are still aspects of it that seem very clumsy. Ditto for FM8. They could both use a bit of UX design love. As I'm thinking about it, I think if I were king, I'd take the entire NI product line and come up with a UI/UX design strategy and implement it over the entire catalog. Massive seems to be the only instrument they have that seems to have it's UX act together.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments