Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

They are aligned with the label, fmr. The only way how to lose the empty space is to narrow the "Master" section a bit and make "Global" taller, then push the "LCD" screen a little up [perfect middle of the Global section] and everything would be aligned nicely. :)

Actually, then you only need to put "Noise" in the mix section a bit down and the OSC 2 pot a bit down and everything would be nicely aligned. :D It would be cool if there was one more knob in the mix section. How about maybe external input? :hihi: so we could process external input through OBXD's filter and envelope... ;)

Speaking of external input, there is space for one more button in the Modulation section and that could be "external in" modulation button. :P

Some more ideas: in "Voice Variation" section there is some perfect space for one more knob. How about "Drift"? A little randomisation of both oscillator's pitch? ;)

Speaking of oscillators, there is enough space in the oscillator section for one more knob or a button. Maybe that could be a "DC Filter" button? Or even a knob, so we could fine tune its strength? :D
Last edited by DuX on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

See my previous post, DuX :D

EvilDragon wrote:See my previous post, DuX :D
:lol: Yeah, pretty much the same ideas. And I really like your idea of LED lights for voices! Great! Looks sharp! :D Also "Bend range" knob would be great, yes. It's very common to be able to adjust the bender range freely +/- 12 semitones.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:They are aligned with the label, fmr. The only way how to lose the empty space is to narrow the "Master" section a bit and make "Global" taller, then push the "LCD" screen a little up [perfect middle of the Global section] and everything would be aligned nicely. :)

Actually, then you only need to put "Noise" in the mix section a bit down and the OSC 2 pot a bit down and everything would be nicely aligned. :D It would be cool if there was one more knob in the mix section. How about maybe external input? :hihi: so we could process external input through OBXD's filter and envelope... ;)

Speaking of external input, there is space for one more button in the Modulation section and that could be "external in" modulation button. :P

Some more ideas: in "Voice Variation" section there is some perfect space for one more knob. How about "Drift"? A little randomisation of both oscillator's pitch? ;)

Speaking of oscillators, there is enough space in the oscillator section for one more knob or a button. Maybe that could be a "DC Filter" button? Or even a knob, so we could fine tune its strength? :D
Later, much later :D The goal is to get obxd to usable state.

2DaT wrote: Later, much later :D The goal is to get obxd to usable state.
Would be fine for me. While i fully understand why others would like to optimize the GUI as far as possible i am more interested to see a working version of the synth with the latest version of Layzer (that with the "missing" dot...) which is already awesome IMO, especially for being a free synth.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
2DaT wrote: Later, much later :D The goal is to get obxd to usable state.
Would be fine for me. While i fully understand why others would like to optimize the GUI as far as possible i am more interested to see a working version of the synth with the latest version of Layzer (that with the "missing" dot...) which is already awesome IMO, especially for being a free synth.

Ingo
+10

2DaT wrote:...The goal is to get obxd to usable state.
Says it all!

2DaT wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Strange behavior when I turn PWM in the LFO modulation section to a value beyond 12 o'clock, it makes my DAW crash as soon as I activate any osc as a target while PM in the osc section is also beyond 12 o'clock.
Wierd! What daw? Do you have this crash frequently or only one time? 32 or 64 bit?
I am using Mulab, 32-bit. I had the crash yesterday, switched my computer off at night, and could reproduce the behavior repeatedly again today. Here is a screenshot of the parameter settings, at the top you see the CPU meter right before the Mulab sound engine crashes. It is in idle mode, without any note played. Just switching Osc 1 on makes Mulab's CPU meter rise from about 15 to 100 within a second or two.

https://app.box.com/s/wc610hlecwnwirx3aftv

To reproduce it, it is enough to use the default patch and only change these parameters:
Oscillators: P instead of S, and PW to about 1 o'clock
Mixer: Osc 2 level to zero
Filter: HQ and 24db on
LFO: Sin and PWM-Osc 1 on, and PWM also to about 1 o'clock

Just tried another DAW, no problem whatsoever there, so it seems to be a compatibility issue with Mulab and that synth...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Some good ideas, guys. Looks like there just may be a version 2 down the road. :clap:

2DaT disagreed with me on this earlier but I'd like to know your opinion (now that the GUI discussion has calmed down): am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that the OSC2 Detune only alters pitch up and not down? And that the range is 40 cents short of a semitone?

There's many cases where this can be useful. You could detune OSC1 up and OSC2 down. Also the moment you do anything with the P ENV on OSC2 you need to pitch down, though of course if the P ENV effect is over a semi-tone you have to at least jump an octave and tune down with the main OSC2 pitch, and then the wider range of 2 semitones (+/- 1) becomes useful as well.

Finally, the original OBX had a +/- range and so far everything else in Obxd has been at least true to that design.

Opinions? If this really doesn't bother anyone else, I'll hold my peace about it. It can be worked around but to me it's giving up useful control: it's a workflow issue. Either way, I would like to see the range extended to at least 99 cents, if not a semitone.

Yes, Detune should definitely be bipolar, and +/- 100 cents.

I really wish that the GUI and feature set were FROZEN for now. I would much rather have a working synth sooner. I think the endless discussion of GUI label names, dots, and alignment is especially counterproductive.

Frantz wrote:I really wish that the GUI and feature set were FROZEN for now. I would much rather have a working synth sooner. I think the endless discussion of GUI label names, dots, and alignment is especially counterproductive.
I agree! :x
[Insert Signature Here]

bailees7irish wrote:
Frantz wrote:I really wish that the GUI and feature set were FROZEN for now. I would much rather have a working synth sooner. I think the endless discussion of GUI label names, dots, and alignment is especially counterproductive.
I agree! :x

i think all the dots except the 12 oclock dot should be removed....

:hihi:

seriously though, yes, lets get the important bits sorted then worry about how it looks. the gui shouldnt be the most important part, how pretty it is is irrelevant, so long as its functional, the important thing is a)that it works and b) which should be obvious, how it sounds.

lets give 2dat the encouragement now, its his synth :)

Breeze wrote:Some good ideas, guys. Looks like there just may be a version 2 down the road. :clap:

2DaT disagreed with me on this earlier but I'd like to know your opinion (now that the GUI discussion has calmed down): am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that the OSC2 Detune only alters pitch up and not down? And that the range is 40 cents short of a semitone?

There's many cases where this can be useful. You could detune OSC1 up and OSC2 down. Also the moment you do anything with the P ENV on OSC2 you need to pitch down, though of course if the P ENV effect is over a semi-tone you have to at least jump an octave and tune down with the main OSC2 pitch, and then the wider range of 2 semitones (+/- 1) becomes useful as well.

Finally, the original OBX had a +/- range and so far everything else in Obxd has been at least true to that design.

Opinions? If this really doesn't bother anyone else, I'll hold my peace about it. It can be worked around but to me it's giving up useful control: it's a workflow issue. Either way, I would like to see the range extended to at least 99 cents, if not a semitone.

Talking about tuning, it would also help if the pitch knobs as such could only be set to whole semitones, not continuously, especially since there is no value display.

Breeze wrote:2DaT disagreed with me on this earlier but I'd like to know your opinion (now that the GUI discussion has calmed down): am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that the OSC2 Detune only alters pitch up and not down? And that the range is 40 cents short of a semitone?
If there is a transpose control you only need -50 to +50 cents to get a full range (technically still 1 overlap), although that bothers some people. I don't understand why because it bothers me a heck of a lot more that you can use "detune" to transpose by a semitone. -99 and +99 are no better.

I like having transpose +1 and detune -20 if I'm looking for a semitone up minus 20. For example You don't usually say "three quarters past one" but rather "quarter to two". (In fact even more efficient, most times you'll hear "quartotoo".)

More importantly, by halving the range (to the minimum) you double the accuracy. Not as important in software with shift-drag and so on, but it sure is important in hardware.

Just saying though, doesn't bother me either way in this case.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Instruments”