Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:
fmr wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Can OBXD make raindrop sounds? :hihi:
Check my bank :wink:
I could have till yesterday, but I removed OBXD from my computer today because I can't save and open fxp patches due to the missing patch manager :? Except for Blarg I deleted all plugins without internal patch manager, now my folder is a lot tidier :)
You could do like me. I have a regular VstPlugIns folder where I have just what really matters for the main hosts, and I have another directory called VST where I have VSTHost and a folder with everything that makes a sound and I can grab my hands on, to test, study, make patches, etc.
The new Image-Line host is already there too, and I am evaluating Mux to eventually be my main test platform (because it's easier to build plug-in chains there and save them as a single patch).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Check my bank :wink:
Must be in the unreleased version... ;)
fmr wrote:You could do like me. I have a regular VstPlugIns folder where I have just what really matters for the main hosts, and I have another directory called VST where I have VSTHost and a folder with everything that makes a sound and I can grab my hands on, to test, study, make patches, etc.
Using separate folders for the different categories of VST is the only sane way to operate if you work with this stuff. You can also use a subhost in your main DAW that sees these "experimental" plugins so your DAW doesn't have to deal with them directly. I use 7 different VST folders, apart from the VST3 ones.

fmr wrote:
fmr wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Can OBXD make raindrop sounds? :hihi:
Check my bank :wink:
I could have till yesterday, but I removed OBXD from my computer today because I can't save and open fxp patches due to the missing patch manager :? Except for Blarg I deleted all plugins without internal patch manager, now my folder is a lot tidier :)
You could do like me. I have a regular VstPlugIns folder where I have just what really matters for the main hosts, and I have another directory called VST where I have VSTHost and a folder with everything that makes a sound and I can grab my hands on, to test, study, make patches, etc.
The new Image-Line host is already there too, and I am evaluating Mux to eventually be my main test platform (because it's easier to build plug-in chains there and save them as a single patch).
Sounds constructive, but too much work for me. I am the lazy kind :roll: Actually, I am trying to stop wasting so much time on stuff I won't use for my music anyway, and instead use my time for music itself. I want to make music and not become a plugin and synth freak :P

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sounds constructive, but too much work for me. I am the lazy kind :roll: Actually, I am trying to stop wasting so much time on stuff I won't use for my music anyway, and instead use my time for music itself. I want to make music and not become a plugin and synth freak :P
So, you fear the "dark side of the force"? :lol:
You may have some reason, but sound design is music too, and it's amazing how much inspiration derives from the sound-design itself (at least for me). And I must be very modest (or lack of confidence) since I am not that eager in releasing my music - when I compose, I do it just for my own pleasure, and to keep the motor rolling. Since I am into experimental ambient, composing is a painful process, and takes too much time - time that I don't have (yet). And I revisit my pieces over and over.
Maybe in a couple of years from now, I will finally have time to do all the things I now just plan to do :)
Fernando (FMR)

fluffy_little_something wrote: but I removed OBXD from my computer today because I can't save and open fxp patches due to the missing patch manager :? Except for Blarg I deleted all plugins without internal patch manager, now my folder is a lot tidier :)
Why do you need a patch manager when your DAW is managing patches and banks for you ???
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

fmr wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sounds constructive, but too much work for me. I am the lazy kind :roll: Actually, I am trying to stop wasting so much time on stuff I won't use for my music anyway, and instead use my time for music itself. I want to make music and not become a plugin and synth freak :P
So, you fear the "dark side of the force"? :lol:
You may have some reason, but sound design is music too, and it's amazing how much inspiration derives from the sound-design itself (at least for me). And I must be very modest (or lack of confidence) since I am not that eager in releasing my music - when I compose, I do it just for my own pleasure, and to keep the motor rolling. Since I am into experimental ambient, composing is a painful process, and takes too much time - time that I don't have (yet). And I revisit my pieces over and over.
Maybe in a couple of years from now, I will finally have time to do all the things I now just plan to do :)
Well, maybe it is like that because of the genre you are in. To me sound design is just a step I have to take in order to emulate real instruments where I don't have good samples, i.e. mostly synth pads and basses. I am a 70's and 80's person, the most experimental I can take is Fusion of the 70's :roll:

Mutant wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: but I removed OBXD from my computer today because I can't save and open fxp patches due to the missing patch manager :? Except for Blarg I deleted all plugins without internal patch manager, now my folder is a lot tidier :)
Why do you need a patch manager when your DAW is managing patches and banks for you ???
Because it saves patches in some internal format so that I can't switch DAW's later on without loosing all my presets, nor can I share any presets with others in either direction...

Mutant wrote:
Because it saves patches in some internal format so that I can't switch DAW's later on without loosing all my presets, nor can I share any presets with others in either direction...
:eek:

Mutant wrote:
I don't really get it. The fxp and fxb file formant is a standard file format included with the VST standard and most hosts should be able to use those (at least those that use VST plugins). Reaper also got it'S own patch format but there is a feature to impoprt fxb/fxp files (called "Import VST patch/bank file", same for export files). There is also a menu entry to rename patch names, in Live loading/saving and renaming is quite easy too.
No problem with Ableton Live 9 , Reaper 4, VSTHost and Tobybear MiniHost (which is use to sort the patches/banks) here.

Didn't you already create some patches so how did you save those?

If you are not able to use fxb and fxp files properly maybe you should get another host as this should be a standard feature.

Many plugins that use a built-in patch manager are using fxp files to save patches too (like e.g. Tone 2 plugins, OP-X Pro and Dune).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Yes, I made some patches, but I used another DAW for that, i.e. I can't use them in my main DAW unless I use screenshots and recreate them parameter by parameter, which I don't feel like frankly. I can only open fxb files, but not save fxb files, nor open or save fxp files.

This is what the directory for the DAWs internal user patches looks like, I don't even know which file belongs to which synth :roll:
https://app.box.com/s/fllmm0elnethke0gt7xt
I can open those files in notepad, but they contain mostly gibberish :)

Sure, I could switch, but frankly, the patch manager is the only drawback of that DAW, while it has lots of good things that I am missing in other DAWs, so I will stick with it :) There are so many synths out there, many of them with an integrated patch manager, so no problem... :) I still use mainly SE plugins, almost all of which have that basic yet very useful patch manager module. I have a dozen or so preset folders, one for each plugin, all I need to do is put the link to one of those folders into the SE module folder of the respective plugin, one click and I am there :) And I can easily back everything up on my pen drive...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, I made some patches, but I used another DAW for that, i.e. I can't use them in my main DAW unless I use screenshots and recreate them parameter by parameter, which I don't feel like frankly. I can only open fxb files, but not save fxb files, nor open or save fxp files.

Sure, I could switch, but frankly, the patch manager is the only drawback of that DAW, while it has lots of good things that I am missing in other DAWs, so I will stick with it :) There are so many synths out there, many of them with an integrated patch manager, so no problem... :) I still use mainly SE plugins, almost all of which have that basic yet very useful patch manager module. I have a dozen or so preset folders, one for each plugin, all I need to do is put the link to one of those folders into the SE module folder of the respective plugin, one click and I am there :) And I can easily back everything up on my pen drive...
I seemed to have forgotten it. Which main DAW are you using?

To me it is VERY strange if a host/DAW does not support fpx/fxb loading (as already mentioned this is part of the VST standard so theoretically it should work with ALL hosts that support VST plugins). That alone would be a reason for me to get another DAW. Even free hosts like e.g. VSTHost or MiniHost are supporting that format.

As already mentioned even some plugins that include a patch manager are using the fxp format to save patches.

Speaking about free plugins there are a lot of them that are not done with SE and use the fxp/fxp format (e.g. Charlatan, OBXD and others).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: To me it is VERY strange if a host/DAW does not support fpx/fxb loading (as already mentioned this is part of the VST standard so theoretically it should work with ALL hosts that support VST plugins). That alone would be a reason for me to get another DAW. Even free hosts like e.g. VSTHost or MiniHost are supporting that format.

thats is strange, but it might be that it can save in two formats. VST format (fxp/fxb) or its own internal format (such as .prs in Orion) You just need to select the right one when saving.

I wonder what host he is using....

Ingonator wrote:I seemed to have forgotten it. Which main DAW are you using?

To me it is VERY strange if a host/DAW does not support fpx/fxb loading (as already mentioned this is part of the VST standard so theoretically it should work with ALL hosts that support VST plugins). That alone would be a reason for me to get another DAW. Even free hosts like e.g. VSTHost or MiniHost are supporting that format.

As already mentioned even some plugins that include a patch manager are using the fxp format to save patches.

Speaking about free plugins there are a lot of them that are not done with SE and use the fxp/fxp format.

Ingo
I don't want to badmouth that DAW as otherwise it is really good in my view and the team is also friendly. I have told them about it and I hope they will include a new patch manager in the next big version they are working on :)

I added an image of the proprietary file directory to my previous post since you posted your reply...

Interestingly, the DAW adds user patches at the end of the list of factory presets in the dropdown list and sorts them by last used date. So as long as you stick with that DAW and work alone, it is pretty comfortable, actually.

I don't want to badmouth that DAW as otherwise it is really good in my view and the team is also friendly. I have told them about it and I hope they will include a new patch manager in the next big version they are working on :)

I added an image of the proprietary file directory to my previous post since you posted your reply...
That picture is not really useful as long as you don't mention which DAW you use...
What is clear is that the fxp/fxb is the standard file format for all VST plugins and it is hard to believe that there is a host that does not support it, as soon as it uses VST plugins. AFAIK all SE synths are all VST plugins too...

So if you want to keep patches compatible with other hosts fxp/fxb is the right format, except you get a Mac with Logic or switch to ProTools...

There ar some plugins that use their own format like e.g U-He synths and Synthmaster.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Kriminal wrote:
Ingonator wrote: To me it is VERY strange if a host/DAW does not support fpx/fxb loading (as already mentioned this is part of the VST standard so theoretically it should work with ALL hosts that support VST plugins). That alone would be a reason for me to get another DAW. Even free hosts like e.g. VSTHost or MiniHost are supporting that format.

thats is strange, but it might be that it can save in two formats. VST format (fxp/fxb) or its own internal format (such as .prs in Orion) You just need to select the right one when saving.

I wonder what host he is using....
No, in my case there are only two buttons for patches, one for saving a single patch in the proprietary format internally and one for opening an fxb bank file.

Never mind, this is off-topic :)

Return to “Instruments”