Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

karol wrote:Can anyone reproduce this behavior on Renoise 3? I use x64 version - both plugin an DAW.
Very weird.

Try to change the resolution of your screen for a few seconds (and validate, of course), see how it appears now... then get it back to your original resolution. After that, see if the things are now normal?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Reviving this thread because I've run into some questions and problem spots that I'd like to document.

karol, I'm on Linux, Renoise 3 x64 with OBXD compiled as a VST. It shows up fine. In any case, it looks like you've got all the knobs there. All you're missing is a little bit of the skin.

Anyways, I'm not able to load the .fxb preset bank files linked to elsewhere in this thread. Is anyone else having this problem?

Two ways I can try to go about it:

1) Load the KXStudio-provided OBXD LV2 plugin into Carla.

This way doesn't work because the preset save/load buttons are greyed out. I assume that's because .fxb files are a Steinberg proprietary format. Carla and LV2 are probably constrained by license not to compile or link against the files they would need to to understand .fxb. Oh well. If I'm wrong about any of that and someone can point me to a starting point for patching Carla to support .fxb, I'd give it a shot.

2) Compile OBXD from source as a native VST and load into Renoise.

This took some work but it seems promising. I can load the VST. When I click the button to load a preset bank and point it to factory.fxb, it says: "This is not a 'lanternfishaudio: Obxd' FX Bank!" It's possible I compiled or linked incorrectly. Any ideas?

For the record, it was a bit of work to figure out all the prerequisites, so here's a rough list of steps in case anyone else wants to attempt this:

- Get the VST SDK

1) Sign up for a free Steinberg account and download the VST Audio Plugins SDK (currently ver 3.6.0) from Steinberg's website.
2) Extract it and copy the public.sdk folder somewhere like /usr/local/include/vst3sdk.

- Get Introjucer

2) Clone JUCE with `git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/julianstorer/JUCE.git` (see http://www.juce.com/downloads (http://www.juce.com/downloads)).
3) Change into the extras/Introjucer/Builds/Linux subdirectory and take a look at the Makefile. You might have to add or remove some include paths from here. Try doing `make && sudo make install`. If it works, everything in there was fine, but you might have to point it at your VST SDK include path.

Apparently Introjucer is a configuration utility for apps that use the JUCE build system. I couldn't quite make it out from the docs.

- Get OBXD with a Linux Makefile and build it

4) Clone orbitfold's fork of OBXD from https://github.com/orbitfold/Obxd (https://github.com/orbitfold/Obxd). This version has a mostly correct Makefile under Builds/Linux. You might have to edit it a bit, but first...
5) From the top-level directory of your clone of OBXD, run Introjucer. You might have to go to File->Open and point it at the Obxd.jucer file. If this works right, you should see a GUI with some checkboxes to configure the OBXD build. Go ahead and leave "VST" checked. I also checked "VST3" but I'm not sure if this is necessary.
6) cd to Obxd/Build/Linux and run `make`. You might have to edit the Makefile again to correct for paths to JUCE or VST includes.
7) If the build completed, Obxd/Build/Linux/build will now contain a new Obxd.so VST object. Copy this to /usr/lib/vst or whatever path is appropriate for your distro.

- Test

8) Fire up your DAW, scan for new VST plugins and see if you can use it. You can also load it as a VST in a standalone plugin host like Carla (http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Applications:Carla (http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Applications:Carla)).

Wow, so much work, just get a W7 PC :hihi:

I agree, it's a lot of work. Hopefully having it written down is a start on improving the situation.

An interesting experiment, thanks for sharing :)

No doubt it would be great to have more plugs to choose from when on the Linux platform.

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere in the thread, but is there going to be a way to load presets when the host doesn't load banks? I'm using Bitwig and I can't load any presets into this thing.

Cheers

This is the only recent news we have.

The only alternative I can think of might be to use a sub-host that can manage patch and bank loading and saving.

Breeze wrote:This is the only recent news we have.

The only alternative I can think of might be to use a sub-host that can manage patch and bank loading and saving.
Or a VST wrapper, perhaps...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Breeze wrote:This is the only recent news we have.

Thanks! Hopefully one of the new features is a bank loader/patch browser.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Wow, so much work, just get a W7 PC :hihi:
Absolutely! :D In the time he is searching for problems and configuring his Linux DAW for VSTs I produce two new songs. :lol: He doesn´t really want to do music, does he?
Induljon a banzáj!

Hey, I'm happy for you guys that you're getting some music done but it's too bad you don't see the value in providing information and helping extend tools into new spaces.

FL Studio is having issues with loading the presets for me but I figured out that the single patches do load, just not the banks. Amazing sounds! You guys made some amazing presets. This synth is really something.

arkmabat wrote:FL Studio is having issues with loading the presets for me but I figured out that the single patches do load, just not the banks. Amazing sounds! You guys made some amazing presets. This synth is really something.
Several months ago I had made a document which showed how to manage to load the OBXD presets in FL Studio.

It was here

It's in french but I'm sure that you'll understand quite easily. And if enough people request it in english... I'll translate it.

Thank

arkmabat wrote:FL Studio is having issues with loading the presets for me but I figured out that the single patches do load, just not the banks. Amazing sounds! You guys made some amazing presets.
I wish I could load presets!

Return to “Instruments”