Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

I want to warmly credit and thank all those who here made a really good job:
  • First of course an ovation to 2DaT and Layzer, who made together a huge job! And they have carved this jewel... for free!!! We should never forget that!
  • A huge thank to albertodream, Breeze, EnGee, Fluffy Little Something (FLS), FMR (Fernando), Funkbots Evil Twin, Ingo Weidner (aka Ingonator), and Kujashi (aka Schiffbauer) for the very nice presets they freely gave us for our pleasure. They could keep their presets for themselves... they gave us these wonderful sounds for our pleasure! They must be very warmly thanked.
  • A very, very big thank one more time to Ingo for the other job he has done with a really big patience to homogenize several times these patches and sort them to give us a better collective service. I'll never say enough how much Ingo is always one of the first to help the others every time he can do it! He proved this one more time when suggesting to collect these five hundred presets to homogenize and organize them in the installation file. Critics on him are always unfair and of the worst discourtesy when coming from people who don't do as much as him in many fronts for free for the others!
  • A very warm thank to those who emitted suggestions for new functions and those who alerted about bugs they encountered.
  • A big thank to those who gave us nice demos showing the awesome abilities of this new absolute musical gem.
  • and at last a kind but sincere thank to those among us who, being active or being simply present to accompany by their always good mood (and good humour), have always been fair and courteous, have never criticized the work of somebody else without bringing first themselves something positive to this collective work, and have never written any hurtful word, respecting not only the most active workers within us but also the very pleasant and friendly atmosphere that was created around this creation !
About the others who have just come to criticize without having brought anything, those who come everywhere only to ruin the atmosphere by very unfair comments (generally with aggressive or trolling behaviors) all that can be done is just to ignore them. They don't have even any respect to all those who have worked here in peace to give all this result for free to everybody (thus also to them) without any return. They don't even merit the least attention. A famous Arabic proverb says that dogs that bark never avoid the caravan to go on (never forget that without them this synth would have been exactly the same!). And in my Chinese family we have a hangyu (an ancient, millenary maxim) saying that the only critics which have a value and can be heard are those emitted by friends or by workers who only want to help you.

A principle: never pay the least attention to critics coming from people who have never brought their stone to the construction nor encourage the workers at any time.

I repeat my warm and sincere thanks to all those who really worked on this wonderful gem and to those who were (and will remain) present with their nice mood and humour.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

And here's to us all :tu:

And a special thanks to 2Dat :hug: and Layzer :hug: for their work. May this encourage you to keep doing it.
Fernando (FMR)

Ingonator wrote: PS:
FWIW i just started to participate in a new commercial sound design project so additional patches for OBXD could take a little time.
That crazy 4 page "discussion" from yesterday seems to be split to another locked thread now. For those who are still confused: That new project i' had mentioned is for a Tone2 synth...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Ingonator wrote: PS:
FWIW i just started to participate in a new commercial sound design project so additional patches for OBXD could take a little time.
That crazy 4 page "discussion" from yesterday seems to be split to another locked thread now. For those who are still confused: That new project i' had mentioned is for a Tone2 synth...

Ingo
Another one? I can't keep up this way. Too many synths. I still didn't buy Nemesis. :cry:

Have to ask Bastiaan for the possibility of a fidelity discount (I have all the other synths).
Fernando (FMR)

Nah, trey certainly won't release a new synth before the end of 2014, probably even later...

fmr wrote: Another one? I can't keep up this way. Too many synths. I still didn't buy Nemesis. :cry:
Don't panic. No new synth at the moment which does not mean Markus does not have new ideas.
My post was not meant to spread rumors. I am just doing new patches for an existing synth (together with other sound designers like with most Tone2 banks).

UPDATE:
Speaking about Tone2 i just tested OBXD with the Ensemble FX in Warmverb which could sound very nice with certain pad sounds (like with other FXs i had alraedy tested). That Ensemble FX seems to be comparable to that in the Tone2 synths and i had used it for quite a few patches there.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I'm impressed by how this thread actually started out quite negatively, before snowballing into an actual synth.

If someone was thinking about doing something similar again, might I recommend a wavetablish synth, that uses the Prophet VS or Ensoniq Fizmo as points of reference.

Ranier Buchty and Acreil (usually found on Gearslutz) would definitely have some interesting advice on that kind of synthesis.

:-D They are welcome... :-D

And yes, a wavetablish project conducted like OBXD has been here would be an excellent (and original) idea. The only problem is "will it happen one day?" because it is at random that the things happen.

One day someone declares "Hey guys I begin a new synth and I'd like to do it publicly with your kind help, so not only you participate to a spontaneous team but also it shows how a project grows and grows and take form along the time until the publication!"

Sadly, almost all the synths (and effects) yet freeware are developed by people who make their product totally alone and announce the publication once they consider it as finished. So you're right, a project like OBXD on a wavetablish synth would be a good idea.

But I'd say better: it should be good to reverse the trend and have almost all (instead of almost none of) the free synths made in the same manner that has been made OBXD: publicly and with the participation of spontaneous teams! I'm sure the general quality of all the freeware would suddenly increase a lot for the pleasure of everybody since the beginning of their design... and for the pleasure of their designer, we all see so many VST synths that are actually nothing else than lost time for their developer, with 0 or so in the "owned" and "favorite" ranks. And also in this way they would be published with patches since their first day, a major argument for many musicians or amateurs (because for many musicians or amateurs it is a way to quickly test a synth before adopting it or leave it).

Spontaneous teams on the subject of the creation of collective products (knowing that of course only one or two will be the owner(s) of a product) have another great advantage: a social advantage: it increases the sense of generosity, it increases the sense of peaceful relations, and it is also almost always the occasion of opportunities to allow many musicians or amateurs to discover other musicians or amateurs (some of them feeling very lonely) and create friendships.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

It has probably been posted somewhere in this long thread, but how do I import the patches? I downloaded the "OBXD KVR community patches v1.10", is there a specific place where to put them. Maybe the Manual can be upgraded to include this information. Thanks

You have to unpack the archive to somewhere where you keep the VSTi presets, load OBXD in your DAW and load the presets from the DAW, Izak.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Izak Synthiemental wrote:It has probably been posted somewhere in this long thread, but how do I import the patches? I downloaded the "OBXD KVR community patches v1.10", is there a specific place where to put them. Maybe the Manual can be upgraded to include this information. Thanks
  1. In your VST folder, you put obxd.dll
  2. You create also a subfolder that you call, for example, "OBXD patches"
  3. You place all the subfolder "KVR community patches" in your subfolder "OBXD patches"
  4. You open your DAW (and make it rescan the VST folder if needs)
  5. You load OBXD
  6. In the menu (or icons) which are always provided by your DAW above the GUI of a VST, you choose "Open Bank" or "Open Patch", then you have just to choose your bank (or patch) in the subdirectory.
  7. And it appears in your list of patches
I'm gonna make a little video to show an example with Cantabile Lite (it works the same with all the DAWs and hosts, I use it also with RapidComposer, Mulab, Sibelius, BIAB... it is always the same way)

Wow, thanks! For some silly reason I thought there was a internal process of managing patches and banks as in some Plugins. Can't wait to test OBXD.

Done!

I've made a little video showing the opening of a bank.
I've made it quickly in MuTools Mulab since it was already open on my laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTU2giR9jYo

By the way... You'll see that I never put my VSTs in the traditional VST folder suggested by Windows.
I have created a directory C:\!MAO\!32\ where I always install all my VSTs in subfolders C:\!MAO\!32\CompanyName\VSTName\

(and of course C:\!MAO\!64\ and C:\!MAO\!64\CompanyName\VSTName\ for the 64 bit plug-ins)

The daily use shows that this method is far better than the traditional method for the management of the contents.

But the management of the banks and patches in a DAW or host is exactly the same as you can see in this video.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Some presets made by myself. (upcoming factory bank)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ew7 ... actory.fxb

2DaT wrote:Some presets made by myself. (upcoming factory bank)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ew7 ... actory.fxb
Cool, already waited for your patches. Will have a look ASAP. :)
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”