Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

The legato seems to be some kind of "Low Note Priority" mode. Where if you're holding a note and strike another, the second note will only trigger if lower than the note being held.

Would there be any way to add a "Last Note Priority" or "Highest Note Priority" at some point?

Example:

1. I've got voices set to 1, unison on, glide at 2 o'clock
2. I hold down C3
3. While holding down C3, I hit C4

Current Result: I only hear C3. The C4 note never sounds. I'm guessing this is based on the original?

Expected Result: I'd like to hear the C3 glide up to C4.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Would there be any way to add a "Last Note Priority"
Try the mysterious VAM button. :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:The legato seems to be some kind of "Low Note Priority" mode. Where if you're holding a note and strike another, the second note will only trigger if lower than the note being held.

Would there be any way to add a "Last Note Priority" or "Highest Note Priority" at some point?

Example:

1. I've got voices set to 1, unison on, glide at 2 o'clock
2. I hold down C3
3. While holding down C3, I hit C4

Current Result: I only hear C3. The C4 note never sounds. I'm guessing this is based on the original?

Expected Result: I'd like to hear the C3 glide up to C4.
Yes, I noticed that as well (mentioned it on one of the previous pages), it is illogical, as if one direction were more important than the other. I think it should work either in both directions or in none, depending on the button state.

Frantz wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Would there be any way to add a "Last Note Priority"
Try the mysterious VAM button. :)
No, that is not what we are talking about.

fluffy_little_something wrote:No, that is not what we are talking about.
:?: I'm confuzzled. It seems like enabling VAM switches from Lowest Note Priority to Last Note Priority and allows C3 to glide up to C4. What are you talking about?

Frantz wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:No, that is not what we are talking about.
:?: I'm confuzzled. It seems like enabling VAM switches from Lowest Note Priority to Last Note Priority and allows C3 to glide up to C4. What are you talking about?
Frankly, I never really understood that priority thingy, what is being prioritized?
Anyway, what we mean to say is that without VAM pressed, the behavior is not symmetrical, i.e. it doesn't work in both directions. With VAM pressed it becomes symmetrical, i.e. it works in both directions.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Frankly, I never really understood that priority thingy, what is being prioritized?
When in Unison mode and two or more notes are held down, the synth needs to determine which note to sound, i.e., which note to give priority to. We can either give priority to the Lowest or Last note. There is no option for Highest on the Obxd.

I also never got the use of a lowest or any other priority note. Who the banana needs it? For what? I always use the last note priority since the beginning of the time and that's 1986. High school. :lol: Most honestly, that thing is one of the rare things that puzzled me about the synthesisers since then.

I'm not excluding the possibility that I'm just too dumb or restricted in thinking to understand the other note priority modes, though. :scared: People usually invent something because it's useful.

Anyone? :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:I also never got the use of a lowest or any other priority note. Who the banana needs it? For what? I always use the last note priority since the beginning of the time and that's 1986. High school. :lol: Most honestly, that thing is one of the rare things that puzzled me about the synthesisers since then.

I'm not excluding the possibility that I'm just too dumb or restricted in thinking to understand the other note priority modes, though. :scared: People usually invent something because it's useful.

Anyone? :D
I use low note priority for layering sounds.
A synth set to mono low priority does 1 bass transposed -12 note and another synth set to poly does all the notes in the chord.
It opens some nice possibilities and frees up 1 hand to do something else.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Thank you Mutant, I got it now after so much time. The thing is, I never thought of using the keyboard for sound layering. I have a different workflow. I keep to one sound per keyboard/MIDI channel. Then I have some MIDI channels that act like a rhythm machine and have many fixed pitch sounds. Oldschool... :D

But what I still don't get is - why would that voices priority behaviour be the default? I think the last note priority should be the logical default for every synth.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

For those of you who maybe got problems to tune the Osc1 and Osc2 knobs precisely a tuning plugin like this could be helpful (i am using this a long time now):
http://tuneit.free.fr/Site/Home.html

Just reached 12 of my own patches and hopefully will have the double amount tomorrow. Will post what i have until then sometimes at tomorrow.

Around the last 12 months or earlier i more and more started to like synths with a one page design and a limited set of features like this. Of course back in the 80s this features set would have been top notch...

I have just realized that the Multi filter knob only works when the 24dB switch is off.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:For those of you who maybe got problems to tune the Osc1 and Osc2 knobs precisely a tuning plugin like this could be helpful (i am using this a long time now):
http://tuneit.free.fr/Site/Home.html

Just reached 12 of my own patches and hopefully will have the double amount tomorrow. Will post what i have until then sometimes at tomorrow.

Ingo
Um, isn't that what the Step button is for? 8)

DuX wrote:Thank you Mutant, I got it now after so much time. The thing is, I never thought of using the keyboard for sound layering. I have a different workflow. I keep to one sound per keyboard/MIDI channel. Then I have some MIDI channels that act like a rhythm machine and have many fixed pitch sounds. Oldschool... :D

But what I still don't get is - why would that voices priority behaviour be the default? I think the last note priority should be the logical default for every synth.
:tu:

DuX wrote:But what I still don't get is - why would that voices priority behaviour be the default? I think the last note priority should be the logical default for every synth.
Perhaps historical precedence? Gordon Reid, as usual, provides a lot of info on the subject:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/a ... nthsec.htm
So let's start with the most famous of all -- the Minimoog. This, as you would expect from the world's first integrated synthesizer, is one of the simplest of the bunch and, as stated above, uses lowest-note priority and single triggering. The same is true of the Minimoog's younger and less well-endowed little brother, the Prodigy. ARPs such as the Axxe and Explorer also use a lowest-note priority system, but retrigger when you play a higher note -- even though you still hear the pitch of the lower!
I agree most of us will want to "tape down" the VAM button on our Obxds.

I've made a bank with 36 presets. I hope you like it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/saajnrf4bmiqt ... ank1ok.FXB

Return to “Instruments”