Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:If 2dat were a woman, that would be a miracle, sometimes I feel like there are only men on KVR, especially among the nerds, um, developers/programmers :hihi:
There are some women, but you're right - this must around 95% male, at least :(
Fernando (FMR)

i now have 50 presets for you to add to the collection, a lot of brass presets and some leads and basses, i like brass coming from this synth, it sounds great, i wish is sounded like the first preset when loading sem v, which is a brass preset that i tried to emulate but failed, anyway here is 50 presets by joel bisson, me.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/7579fcc1

BlackWinny wrote:Say what you want... the only person who is in right that HIS product is released... is the developer himself. Nobody else. It is a question of respect to each other. For any reason, personal, professional, familial, health, studies, priorities of all other kinds... the only person empowered to declare that a product is ready to distribute is the author himself. Fine if tomorrow 2DaT says "OBXD is now released"... but it hasn't yet said so. Anybody within ourselves and elsewhere can't decide at his place and worse... declare it publicly in webpages or anywhere else!!!

All that have been shared here are versions of development, for voluntary testers, sound designers, and the quite few persons who incidentally stumble upon this thread discussing the evolution, features and bugs of a product in development. That's all! Until today it remains a product which has never been declared publicly by the developer, simply because only himself can say "I am now ready to distribute it because I consider that all the features are complete, all the first important bugs are closed, and the product is ok for a distribution of its first version". Freeware or not, the developer of a product is its only owner and himself only may decide what he wants to do with it... and when. It is his baby, not ours. We have repeated this enough times during all the 95 pages of this thread, do you remind?

Would you accept yourselves a public declaration of release of one of your products by someone else other than yourselves? You could have many personal reasons to delay a date of release and without having to justify these personal reasons to others!

The owner of OBXD is 2DaT, not us nor Rekkerd nor any other one! Only 2DaT! Anybody is allowed to declare the birth of his baby at his place. It is a question of politeness, of courtesy, of fair, and of respect to the person.

Calm down Mary.....its the internet :lol:

syntheticillusion wrote:i now have 50 presets for you to add to the collection, a lot of brass presets and some leads and basses, i like brass coming from this synth, it sounds great, i wish is sounded like the first preset when loading sem v, which is a brass preset that i tried to emulate but failed, anyway here is 50 presets by joel bisson, me.

Thanks for the update. Now we got 465 patches in the collection (including all recent updates). A few days ago i guessed we will have 500 patches with the final version and Breeze already mentioned to publish an update so there you go... :)

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:There seldom is a manual for free stuff, there is none for Charlatan, either afaik. And really, this synth is quite simple, just like Charlatan.
Nor do I think he will make factory presets when we have already made hundreds of free patches...
OBXD USER MANUAL

Chapter 1

What is VAM?

VAM stands for Voice Allocation Mode.

Fin

there ya go.... OBXD now has a User Manual :D
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fmr wrote:It ain't over until 2Dat sings :)
Now seriously - I think it's semi-released. He didn't packaged it properly for distribution (it has no manual, AFAIK, and no official factory library, for example). So, it's semi-released. IMO.
Baseed on what was already mentioned i would say we are in Gamma testing stage now... :wink:

Officially the step after Beta is called "Release candidate" (there could be multiple ones like e.g. "RC1" etc.). Not sure if this part of development already fits there.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

layzer wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:There seldom is a manual for free stuff, there is none for Charlatan, either afaik. And really, this synth is quite simple, just like Charlatan.
Nor do I think he will make factory presets when we have already made hundreds of free patches...
OBXD USER MANUAL

Chapter 1

What is VAM?

VAM stands for Voice Allocation Mode.

Fin

there ya go.... OBXD now has a User Manual :D
Not quite. Do you think that the fact the 24dB filter responds to the Multi command varying the slope from -24dB until -6dB is something any user will guess? This is just an example.
Fernando (FMR)

Hi,

still working on optimizations (also as there are new additions) of the patch collection but here are some statistics about the current state:

A) Sound Designers participating (and amount of patches contributed):

albertodream : 36, Breeze : 64, EnGee : 7, Fluffy little Something : 6, FMR (Fernando) : 128, Funkbots Evil Twin : 15, Ingo Weidner (aka ingonator) : 26, Joel Bisson (aka syntheticillusion) : 50, Kujashi (aka Schiffbauer) : 128, Layzer : 5

B) Overall number of patchces : 465

C) Categories and patch count:

Bass: 61
Bells: 10
Brass: 58
Drums + Perc. : 30
Keys: 47
Leads: 68
Pads: 74
Plucked: 15
SFXs: 12
Strings: 33
Synths: 50
Vocalic: 7

Some re-sorting of the patche is possible. With some finding a category is difficult so the category reflects the possible main use. Those that could be used for multille categories like Pad, Lead and Polysynth at the are usually in the "Synths" category.
Some patches which by name fit in another category like e.g. "Keys" while playing them fit bettter into e.g. "Pads", especially with some from the OB-Xa factory sounds.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: B) Overall number of patchces : 465

C) Categories and patch count:

Bass: 61
Bells: 10
Brass: 58
Drums + Perc. : 30
Keys: 47
Leads: 68
Pads: 74
Plucked: 15
SFXs: 12
Strings: 33
Synths: 50
Vocalic: 7

Ingo
Great work, Ingo. Now, maybe with a litle more effort we can reach the magical 500 patches barrier :)
Fernando (FMR)

One comment concerning voices in the patches:
The majority of the patches seems to use the full amount of 8 voices, even when intended to be Bas or Lead sounds (for those usually 1 or 2 voices are enough, except Unisn sounds with more voices).

This increases the CPU load a lot, even if not all voces are used while playing. The CPU display for BBXD somehow repesents the CPu use when all 8 voices are used. You could check that easily when using a pad sound and reducing the voices e.g. from 8 to 4.

With most of my patches i reduced the voices to 6 for e.g. pads and 1 or 2 for leads.
Exceptions are Unison sounds but even those don't always have to use the full amount of 8 voices. In many cases 4 voices should be enough there.

With using less voices you usually could save more CPU than deactivating the "HQ" switch (high quality) in the filter section which i most patches seems to be deactivated.

An example on my system:
Reducing the voices of a Lead sound (no Unison used) from 8 to 1 on my system reduces the CPU load (in Live 9 32-bit) from 14% to 4%.

It it would be decided to generally reduce the voices for certain categories (maybe excluding Unison sounds) there are two options:
Either i do that for all patches or all sound designers do it themselves. In second case they should wait until i published the next update with optimized volumes (and a few other fixes related to patches done in earlier versions of OBXD).
Not all sound designers that contributed so far have done updates themselves like e.g. Breeze, FMR or myself and IMO for some fixes it is better if done by a single person.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

syntheticillusion wrote:i now have 50 presets for you to add to the collection, a lot of brass presets and some leads and basses, i like brass coming from this synth, it sounds great, i wish is sounded like the first preset when loading sem v, which is a brass preset that i tried to emulate but failed, anyway here is 50 presets by joel bisson, me.

Thanks, but why do you use an installer? The executable is seen as a virus (mostly adware) by Avira and by 7 other antivirus programs.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Timfonie wrote:[

Thanks, but why do you use an installer? The executable is seen as a virus (mostly adware) by Avira and by 7 other antivirus programs.
You have to deactivate "Use our download manager" (Below "Download") and then it should work normally.
Was confused too when i used this the first time (and my Antivirus was going nuts too...).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Of course I did uncheck it. The file I downloaded named "Joel Bisson's 2DaT OBXD Synthesizer" is blocked and quarantined by my AV scanner. I have to shut down real time protection if I want to run it.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Ingonator wrote:One comment concerning voices in the patches:
The majority of the patches seems to use the full amount of 8 voices, even when intended to be Bas or Lead sounds (for those usually 1 or 2 voices are enough, except Unisn sounds with more voices).

This increases the CPU load a lot, even if not all voces are used while playing. The CPU display for BBXD somehow repesents the CPu use when all 8 voices are used. You could check that easily when using a pad sound and reducing the voices e.g. from 8 to 4.

With most of my patches i reduced the voices to 6 for e.g. pads and 1 or 2 for leads.
Exceptions are Unison sounds but even those don't always have to use the full amount of 8 voices. In many cases 4 voices should be enough there.

With using less voices you usually could save more CPU than deactivating the "HQ" switch (high quality) in the filter section which i most patches seems to be deactivated.

An example on my system:
Reducing the voices of a Lead sound (no Unison used) from 8 to 1 on my system reduces the CPU load (in Live 9 32-bit) from 14% to 4%.

Ingo
In my patches I always use the maximum polyphony, for the following reasons:

1. It's fairly easy for any user to reduce the amount of polyphony, if the CPU comsumption is too much for one's system, since it's right there in front of their eyes (maybe the manual should have an entry right on the beginning adverting about how CPU demanding this synth can be, and advising to reduce polyphony when possible, pointing to th right place).

2. Even leads and basses can be used polyphonically, to achieve different results (mine can, at least). Even when using them as basses or leads, if we reduce polyphony to one, this may have an impact on the sound (when longer releases are used, for example). Regarding Unison, when we reduce polyphony the sound changes, and I am convinced that, in the original, when using it in Unison all eight voices were allocated. Again, it's up to the final user to reduce it, if need is felt.

So, to the end users. Pay attention to the CPU indicator, and when it is menacing performance, reduce the polyphony. But keep in mind that this may have reflexions on the sounds, even in Unison patches. After all, this is based on models that were eight voice polyphonic, and thought to be used with the full eight voices.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:In my patches I always use the maximum polyphony, for the following reasons:

1. It's fairly easy for any user to reduce the amount of polyphony, if the CPU comsumption is too much for one's system, since it's right there in front of their eyes (maybe the manual should have an entry right on the beginning adverting about how CPU demanding this synth can be, and advising to reduce polyphony when possible, pointing to th right place).

2. Even leads and basses can be used polyphonically, to achieve different results (mine can, at least). Even when using them as basses or leads, if we reduce polyphony to one, this may have an impact on the sound (when longer releases are used, for example). Regarding Unison, when we reduce polyphony the sound changes, and I am convinced that, in the original, when using it in Unison all eight voices were allocated. Again, it's up to the final user to reduce it, if need is felt.

So, to the end users. Pay attention to the CPU indicator, and when it is menacing performance, reduce the polyphony. But keep in mind that this may have reflexions on the sounds, even in Unison patches. After all, this is based on models that were eight voice polyphonic, and thought to be used with the full eight voices.

I agree, I don't want my patches to be changed in any way. If they are too loud, users can reduce the volume themselves, if they are not loud enough, they can increase the volume, and if they have a weak computer, they can reduce the number of voices as they see fit.
Let's not turn this whole patch thing into an obsession, it seems to me way too much energy and time is being invested there. Since 2dat has confirmed the phasing issues, there will likely be a new version of the plugin, so sounds are likely to sound slightly different, anyway. So, let's wait and see...

Return to “Instruments”