Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Limeflavour wrote:@Layzer: I think he meant the larger "bottom layer" area of the knobs, the light (gradient) looks like it's coming straight from the top on that part of the knob.
Yeah that's what I meant, thanks :clap:

EvilDragon wrote:And FLT not going to be CUTOFF? P ENV is still misleading? 24 not going to 4 POLE because it's clearer at what it does (it can fit there!)?
Isn't 24 or 24db more common and clear than 4-pole? I'm with you on the other labels, particularly Cutoff, but 24 should remain as is.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:And FLT not going to be CUTOFF? P ENV is still misleading? 24 not going to 4 POLE because it's clearer at what it does (it can fit there!)?
Isn't 24 or 24db more common and clear than 4-pole? I'm with you on the other labels, particularly Cutoff, but 24 should remain as is.
Yes, I think 24 is more common and clearer than 4-pole. I think EvilDragon is acting more like a Cajoler than a Consoler. :)

This is a free synth. We should be appreciative even if every detail is not exactly to our liking. Also there has to be a point where the GUI is done so 2DAT can finalize his work.

I'm w/ Funkybot here, 24db is what it should say IMHO. you can have 4 pole filters of several different decibles-per-octave, as well as high-pass, band-pass, etc. so having a '4 pole' label doesn't tell me enough about the filter. If a future version has it switchable between poles, then by all means.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Little update before complete gui.
Unlearn button. Mod rate at lowest position turns vibrato off. 4 pole mode volume compensation ( more usable now - not like hardware , but we arent copying bad things, right?). Changed plugin id, and you may have presets incompatibility messages from hosts. Possible solution : force load from savihost and resave.
Added more character to 24 dbo filter.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fhw ... y/Obxd.zip

I'd have nothing against the button saying "24 dB", but just "24" is funny. 24 what? Biscuits? :D

EvilDragon wrote:
I'd have nothing against the button saying "24 dB", but just "24" is funny. 24 what? Biscuits? :D
Its speaking name itself for expirienced users. For newbies , there is a manual, or forum.

Thank you 2DaT! Much appreciated update! :D

24 biscuits LOL ED! :D I'd rather have 24 shots of vodka. :hihi:

Yeah 24dB would sound more comprehensible indeed, especially for newbies to synthesis. In my experience people usually don't know what "pole" means, like 2-pole or 4-pole, but they understand 6dB, 12dB etc. filters. Well, they understand that it is stronger sounding when you turn up the resonance at least.
Last edited by DuX on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Filter type: 24 dogBiscuits.... I didn't know that, it's funny how you never stop learning.
*walks away scratching head*

:hihi:
Flavours of Lime - Tasty gui design for vst plugins.

:lol:
Last edited by DuX on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

2DaT wrote:Its speaking name itself for expirienced users. For newbies , there is a manual, or forum.
Nobody reads the manuals anymore :( And do you really want a flurry of newbs hoarding the forums? Just call it 24 dB please. There's room for that and it will look nicer. :)

And I still very much think that VAM is lame and tells nothing and should be renamed. As well as P ENV is misleading and it should say F ENV > PITCH or something (would be better if you just named envelopes 1 and 2, then knobs would be called ENV 1 AMT and ENV 2 AMT where necessary...)

In fact, here's a practical question. Since you're already going to link graphics to the UI, can't you make things skinnable, say, following some sort of XML scheme?
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Oberheim OB-1 use a 2P / 4P switch
The Oberheim OBxa and OB8 has a 4 POLE button.
The DSI synths has a 4 POLE button as well.
Last edited by eXode on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z3R0T0N1N wrote:I'm w/ Funkybot here, 24db is what it should say IMHO. you can have 4 pole filters of several different decibles-per-octave, as well as high-pass, band-pass, etc. so having a '4 pole' label doesn't tell me enough about the filter. If a future version has it switchable between poles, then by all means.
No you can't. Where did you get that idea?

All filter designs are always 6 dB per POLE, i.e:

1 POLE = 6 dB
2 POLE = 12 dB
3 POLE = 18 dB
4 POLE = 24 dB

Limeflavour wrote:Filter type: 24 dogBiscuits.... I didn't know that, it's funny how you never stop learning.
Dog Biscuits are the secret ingredient that give the filter real analog flavor. We don't advertise it on the GUI otherwise it wouldn't be a secret.

EvilDragon wrote: I'd have nothing against the button saying "24 dB", but just "24" is funny. 24 what? Biscuits? :D
For those familiar with synths and filters, "24" is meaningful enough. For those who aren't labeling it "4 pole" will not help, since they will probably not have the slightest clue of what that means. But I also have nothing against "24 dB" (actually, it should be "-24 dB")
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”