Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

you'all may wanna wait for final release instead of doing constant updates/finetunings of old patches every time a new build is put up.
for the old patches the old version is still provided in the OP.
let 2dat finish off his synth without the unneeded pressure of accurate preset compatibility with previous builds. if you want the new builds to sound like the old build...just use the old build :)

olikana wrote:if you want the new builds to sound like the old build...just use the old build :)
If only people could ever be convinced to do that :hihi:
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

This is how spoiled we are:
...you got two VCOs delivering sawtooth or variable pulse waveforms. These were supplemented on the OBX by cross modulation and sync switches. Then came the mixer -- not the OBX's most exciting feature, consisting as it did of just four switches. You could turn OSC 1, OSC 2 and white noise on or off, or use OSC 2 at half volume. Although this mixer attracted a fair amount of criticism over the years, Oberheim decided not to change it (for whatever reason) and kept the design for the subsequent OBXa and OB8...
- from the Sound on Sound OB series Overview

And we think 2DaT is holding out on us. ;)

olikana wrote:you'all may wanna wait for final release instead of doing constant updates/finetunings of old patches every time a new build is put up.
for the old patches the old version is still provided in the OP.
let 2dat finish off his synth without the unneeded pressure of accurate preset compatibility with previous builds. if you want the new builds to sound like the old build...just use the old build :)
IMO it is better to do certain fixes as soon as you find a problem. If you do all at once at the end it just will be more work.

Anyway the latest version of the collection in the sound designers folders also contains the old versions of the banks (in a folder called "old"). Besides that there are still links for the older ZIP files for those who need it.

For those who missed what the latest update is:
2DaT wrote:New version:
24 db multimode - very different to 12 db multimode. Controls slope from 24 to 6 dB.
Tweaks to 24 db filter.
Midi all notes off support.
Some dc leakage - square wawes arent so square at low frequencies (has minor effect on sound).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jye ... /Obxd2.zip
Looks like the "newest version build" at the OP is the same. While the OP was not updates itself teh file in the link seems to be updated.

My first post at the first page of this thread now contains links for the last three versions of the patches collection and that quote with the link for the latest version.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Here is how to add the instrument to the KVR database, it seems the dev is the one that got to do it:
http://www.kvraudio.com/submissions.php

One thing I miss with the new KVR forum is how to stick "links" to plugs in the database on the left side of the screen.

With that it was much easier to quickly go from a thread to looking at the specs of a plug, and download links etc there, as that link was then stuck there.

Is it possible to state on the GUI which version it is? Many synths like TAL's do that, it makes it easier to check if one has the latest version...

Don't yet have the new version - there is no longer a band pass/notch filter??

nineofkings wrote:Don't yet have the new version - there is no longer a band pass/notch filter??
There never was in 24dB mode. Now you have more. ;)

Ingonator wrote:My first post at the first page of this thread now contains links for the last three versions of the patches collection and that quote with the link for the latest version.
Maybe you should consider doing what I'm doing and just use the same archive name and update the contents, that way you never have to update your links or keep multiple versions in your Dropbox.

There's a clear distinction between the build 2 versions ago (@2DaT: secret key combo for version # ? ;) ), the one with 1 tone detune + spread on OSC2, and the last 2 builds, so you'd only need to keep two archives linked: the legacy one and the new one. You'd also only need to come up with a new archive if a new build breaks the old patches significantly (not like the minor 24dB "multimode" resets we just had to do).

I agree that we need to find a better solution and I hope 2DaT does register the Obxd at KVR.

I don't agree with waiting for a synth to be completely finished before creating patches: if you've found something you like and are interested in following the development, you may want to help make sure something precious isn't lost in the "fine" tuning. Creating patches is the best way to get an intimate knowledge of the synth's idiosyncrasies.

If you've never experienced a great idea slowly die in the production process, then you haven't been in any business very long. It's why I keep every dll 2DaT makes and why I'm still not 100% convinced that the change 2 versions ago wasn't for the better (though I'm very close!). That's also why when 2DaT mentions things like "has minor effect on sound", it makes me nervous! ;)

My fifth and probably final patch, a digital kind of bass, I guess the DX7 had similar ones...
https://app.box.com/s/w33a0p9t7svokwhtm3xe

Oddly, after loading I have to play the bass for a minute or so until it sounds the way it should. As if the plugin had to warm up or something :D Initially it is also too loud. Or maybe it is a DAW bug, no idea...
Switching the Unison button on and off a couple of times while playing also seems to reduce the time it takes to make it sound the way it should. Weird...

Just made a little bass line to show what it should sound like when the osc's have settled :roll:
https://app.box.com/s/xgc3bii3r5r44xzcogoy

nineofkings wrote:Don't yet have the new version - there is no longer a band pass/notch filter??
No, nothimng is lost with the new version.

With the "24 dB" off you still got the multimode filter. This means with the Multi knob you go from LPF to Notch to HPF. With the "BP" button on you go from LPF to BPF to HPF.

With the "24 dB" switch on in the old version the knob had no function. In the new one you still got a LPF but while turning the knob clockwise you go from a 24 dB filter (= 4 Poles) to a 6 dB filter (= 1 Pole). The transition is continuous so there should not be steps between the additional Poles.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

fluffy_little_something wrote:Oddly, after loading I have to play the bass for a minute or so until it sounds the way it should. As if the plugin had to warm up or something :D Initially it is also too loud. Or maybe it is a DAW bug, no idea...
I also noticed odd behavior when changing patches. I'm not sure if it is the same thing.

I am using Studio One's built in patch management. Whenever I switch between OBXD patches while the song is playing, the patch sounds very odd -- almost out of time with the rest of the song. My workaround is to stop and restart the song every time I change OBXD patches.

There is no problem tweaking OBXD parameters while a song is playing. It only sounds odd when changing patches. I don't notice this issue with other synths. I wonder if the automatic plugin delay compensation gets thrown off by changing patches.

Frantz wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Oddly, after loading I have to play the bass for a minute or so until it sounds the way it should. As if the plugin had to warm up or something :D Initially it is also too loud. Or maybe it is a DAW bug, no idea...
I also noticed odd behavior when changing patches. I'm not sure if it is the same thing.

I am using Studio One's built in patch management. Whenever I switch between OBXD patches while the song is playing, the patch sounds very odd -- almost out of time with the rest of the song. My workaround is to stop and restart the song every time I change OBXD patches.

There is no problem tweaking OBXD parameters while a song is playing. It only sounds odd when changing patches. I don't notice this issue with other synths. I wonder if the automatic plugin delay compensation gets thrown off by changing patches.
I don't know, either.
I just remembered that an older plugin I used to use (Superwave Professional) also had that behavior. As a Supersaw emulation it has 7 oscillators, but no Unison. Still, similar sound issue when loading the plugin or patch. I asked the developer and he told me it had to do with phases that take some time to get out of sync, or something like that. Maybe it is the same with my OBXD unison bass patch, where there are 8 voices sounding at the same time. That would also explain why initially the patch is too loud because the peaks of the 8 waves would all occur at the same time.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Breeze wrote:
I don't agree with waiting for a synth to be completely finished before creating patches

Then dont be suprised when all your work becomes useless due to sudden changes :lol:

Return to “Instruments”