Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Thanks Layzer. I'm flattered you consider my posts good enough to qualify me :hug: And thanks for your great hard work, and for having the patience to listen to us, annoyers :)
Fernando (FMR)

nineofkings wrote:So, what's the latest download link now?
The new GUI has not been integrated yet. I think 2DAT said it will take at least a week.

I don't have the download link for the temp GUI handy. I may be able to find it when I'm home tonight.

Thanks. Not really necessary, I can be patient. Just wondering where we were at this stage of development. I loved the sound when trying the earlier versions, and the xmod in small amounts can really glue it together. This is a killer freebie; a far cry from the indignance of the original post. Oh ye of little faith! Anyway, it was great seeing this instrument grow and evolve. Thank you 2Dat and Layzer!

In case someone else wants it, here it is with the temporary GUI:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fhw ... y/Obxd.zip

the skin files have been zipped and sent to 2DAT. we're in the home stretch now :party: :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Breeze wrote:I think this is the last one Layzer posted (according to my browser history):

What a fine lookin' Jew! Er, I mean, that's a really nice, clean GUI, IMHO!!!

My only small suggestion is to maybe use abbreviations a little less on the front panel. For example, FLT can probably be streeeeetched on out to FILTER, and yet ENV and OSC are fine as is, etc. That way even perceptionally-challenged peeps like myself can figure it all out at a glance! And the voices in my head will quit saying FLIT when I see FLT. FIL or FTR might be better too, but then I like soy milk... and Layzer's knobs and layout! :)

Just my two! Looking so great - can't wait to explore more! Thanks 2Dat and Layzer, et al!
Last edited by SciFiArtMan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

layzer wrote:Image
:x :hug:

sorry if i missed anyone else that made valuable contributions. without the old thread, i
had to go by my crappy memory... :dog:
Sweet! Thanks! That's too cool. Especially considering you did all the work. I was just in the peanut gallery.

Have to confess, I'm not that keen on the proposed GUI.. mainly the logo and knobs :/

I wondered what the logo would look like with the original Oberheim font, so I got it and typed "OB-XD". Next I created speckled black and grey-blue backgrounds, changed font and typed some more ;) Btw - I don't think abbreviated control names should be used unless space really demands it. And finally, there's good free resources to allow for much nicer looking Obbie style knobs, so I used one to generate a 48 pixel knob.

15 mins later in Windows Paint (most of which was spent lining stuff up correctly!) this is the result.

It'd be fairly easy to generate the whole GUI as all it'd take is some more typing and putting things in the right places, then generating a rectangle graphic for buttons. Hmm..

Here's the present proposed logo/knobs for a more direct comparison.

Btw happy to link to the resources if someone thinks they could improve on things.. main point of this was just to have a rough idea what the original font logo would look like and to have better looking controls. :)

PAK wrote:Have to confess, I'm not that keen on the proposed GUI.. mainly the logo and knobs :/main point of this was just to have a rough idea what the original font logo would look like and to have better looking controls. :)
hmm. well, since everyone is entitled to their opinion, i'm not too keen on your GUI either. i find that logo font boring. the knobs look old and dirty to me, the color scheme looks like win98. so to me it's a fail. sorry :shrug:
just like you think my gui needs improvement i think yours lacks originality, color balance and oh, my knobs are unique because i created them.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i find that logo font boring.
Oberheim used that font, rather than pay someone to design a logo.. ;)
the knobs look old
Cool! :)
the color scheme looks like win98
Hmm. That's sort-of vintage-y by now, right? ;)
just like you think my gui needs improvement i think yours lacks originality, color balance and oh, my knobs are unique because i created them
Even though the fonts are slightly smaller, I think they're also cleaner, where yours are pixelated. I used a lighter blue to help create higher contrast, and the speckled backgrounds are simply a nod to the powdered paint on the original h/w.

I'm glad you're happy with your "unique knob", but there's tools for that job which give much higher quality results than the average person will attain doing things by hand. It also makes it very easy to change any element just by typing numbers, rather than having to redraw everything by hand.. :tu:

PAK wrote:Image
Much nicer.

Andywanders wrote:
PAK wrote:Image
Much nicer.
Yep. Still like the one in the other thread too.

:hihi:
Thank you so much for you effort 2DaT and Layzer and everyone who contributed in some way. Obxd is a labour of love. :tu:
Cheers! Your "consoletant" :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote: Image
Thank you so much for you effort 2DaT and Layzer and everyone who contributed in some way. Obxd is a labour of love. :tu:
Cheers! Your "consoletant" :D
:hihi:
I think Layzer's GUI is cool and useful.
AZur Studio - Free soundset for VSTi
http://bji.yukihotaru.com/vst.html

layzer's GUI looks better, IMO

although any GUI is better than no GUI in my world

Return to “Instruments”