Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Kriminal wrote:so which hardware version is the soft version meant to be emulation ?

the OB-X is diff to the OB-Xa/OB-8

i thought it was the OB-Xa

the the sonicprojects one is emulating the OB-X isnt it?
I am not so sure one can emulate either one without having it right in front of you as a programmer, connected to the computer so that one can align the sound with the help of scopes and other analyzers.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Kriminal wrote:so which hardware version is the soft version meant to be emulation ?

the OB-X is diff to the OB-Xa/OB-8

i thought it was the OB-Xa

the the sonicprojects one is emulating the OB-X isnt it?
I am not so sure one can emulate either one without having it right in front of you as a programmer, connected to the computer so that one can align the sound with the help of scopes and other analyzers.
Im aware of that. It doesnt answer my question.

Examigan wrote:I never have problems with it, used it in tons of songs with many instances running.
Same here. If the developer knows how to use the SE modules right, those plugins work just fine. The only issue is the sound. Just yesterday I was trying the latest version of Swierk, it sounds pretty good in the lower and mid frequencies, but in the higher ranges there is quite some aliasing or other type of noise. OBXD does not seem to have any such noise, except when using xmod for example.

The schematics, or "electronic source code" are available. You can pretty well duplicate it exactly just by looking at those.

Generic "state variable" 12db filter, generic oscillators, generic configuration in general. Most likely the easiest sort of synthesizer to produce.

It's a great design for a wide range of general synth sounds, although the modulation routing is quite limited.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Kriminal wrote:
I'm not sure, but for what I experienced, I think that the OB-Xd is kind of a cross-emulation between the OB-X and the OB-Xa, with some features not present in either one of them (like X-Mod).

This isn't bad at all, since there is always something missing in the new versions, while there are other things added. For example, take the Juno line from Roland. There are people who prefer the Juno-106, but I tried it, and, as an owner of the Juno-60, I would not exchange mine for the 106, although I would like to have some features the 106 had (like MIDI, more waves in the sub-oscillator, etc.).

BTW: The OP-X Pro II is way beyond the OB-X. The author could very well have runned the extra mile and completed a Matrix-6 or even a Matrix-12 (the only hard task would have been the filters, me thinks), but he chose not to, sadly.
Fernando (FMR)

gamecat666 wrote:FL Studio -
Obxd is reporting a steady 20% cpu, even when not making any sound.

This is odd behaviour as FL usually disables plugins that arent being used to save CPU. There must be something in the code thats stopping FL from switching it off.. ?
Same thing here, merely opening an idle instance causes a CPU 17% load in Mulab.
Interestingly, adding a couple of more idle instances increases the load by only 1 additional percent per instance.

fmr wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
I'm not sure, but for what I experienced, I think that the OB-Xd is kind of a cross-emulation between the OB-X and the OB-Xa, with some features not present in either one of them (like X-Mod).

This isn't bad at all, since there is always something missing in the new versions, while there are other things added. For example, take the Juno line from Roland. There are people who prefer the Juno-106, but I tried it, and, as an owner of the Juno-60, I would not exchange mine for the 106, although I would like to have some features the 106 had (like MIDI, more waves in the sub-oscillator, etc.).

BTW: The OP-X Pro II is way beyond the OB-X. The author could very well have runned the extra mile and completed a Matrix-6 or even a Matrix-12 (the only hard task would have been the filters, me thinks), but he chose not to, sadly.
Maybe I am wrong, but afaik the Matrix-6 was quite different from the Matrix-12, except for the name. The difference is similar to that between the Rhodes Chroma and the Rhodes Chroma Polaris.

Some nice sounds in your bank by the way :tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Maybe I am wrong, but afaik the Matrix-6 was quite different from the Matrix-12, except for the name. The difference is similar to that between the Rhodes Chroma and the Rhodes Chroma Polaris.

Some nice sounds in your bank by the way :tu:
Thanks. Glad you like them :)

And yes also to the difference between the Matrix-6/Matrix-1000 (essentially the same) and the Xpander/Matrix-12.

The first is much simpler, but has that classic Oberheim sound, and featurewise is more complete than the previous ones (although the sound may not me as powerful as his older relatives). I was just saying that he went further in the Oberheim architecture, and when he could make the jump to something that, in terms of evolution, is in a different step, he simply stoped.
Fernando (FMR)

Well, who knows what he is doing at the moment. That synth seems to be the backbone of his enterprise, and since he knows of the OBXD, he probably knows he might need to make his emulation more attractive in order to stay in business in the long run.

I guess those who simply want the best Oberheim OB-whatever sound without all the bells and whistles will opt for the OBXD, given the slightly superior sound, the more user friendly interface and the non-existing price tag it is a no-brainer. On the other hand those who want effects and other bells and whistles as well as hundreds of professional presets will opt for the OP-X.

Ingonator wrote:Was searching for OB-X patch sheets and have found this one with the factory sounds of the OB-Xa:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2011/01/ober ... -book.html

Have not really found the correspomnding audio demos yet. Thought i had found for a few sound but those do not seem to fit to the patch sheet at all (totally different sounds).
It would be cool if the knob values could be approximated to the hardware against the patch book. That'd be the last thing I'd really like to see on OBXD.

fmr wrote:And since 2Dat has nothing against, here is the link for the bank:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuhgswn63mifg ... 20Book.fxb

Hope you all like it. Comments, critics and tweakings welcome :)
Thanks for sharing. I really like some of those string patches in particular. Add some voice panning to them and they sound amazing.

fmr wrote:
Examigan wrote:
bk wrote:This may have already been mentioned somewhere, but did anyone notice that you get a triangle wave when neither waveform button are pressed on an oscillator?

Is that the way the hardware worked?
I found this on the RetroSound site:

http://www.retrosynth.com/docs/obx/obx_user.pdf

Looks like the original didn't have a triangle wave in it.
Doesn't matter. I think this is a great idea. BTW - The original didn't have a -24dB filter either. That wasn't added until the OB-Xa.
I wasn't saying that it shouldn't be included if it wasn't in the hardware. I was just curious. It surprised me that it still made sound with both waveforms turned off.

Wasn't aware that the hardware didn't have a 24dB/octave filter either. I really like the standard (12dB/octave) filter on OBXD. It sounds super smooth.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
fmr wrote:And since 2Dat has nothing against, here is the link for the bank:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuhgswn63mifg ... 20Book.fxb

Hope you all like it. Comments, critics and tweakings welcome :)
Thanks for sharing. I really like some of those string patches in particular. Add some voice panning to them and they sound amazing.
Thanks. I am now checking about the voice panning and refining my editing, but you're welcome to come up with them :wink:
I am in the process of creating a "signature bank", that incorporates more of my own ideas. Some of the patches are already in that bank, but they will be reworked, since the "OB-Xa Patch Book" was made in a hurry :oops:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:I am now checking about the voice panning and refining my editing, but you're welcome to come up with them
Are you sure 2DAT is done with the synth? He could make changes that would affect the sounds.

Frantz wrote:
fmr wrote:I am now checking about the voice panning and refining my editing, but you're welcome to come up with them
Are you sure 2DAT is done with the synth? He could make changes that would affect the sounds.
Well... that happened in the past already. If he does, I have no other solution than go through the patches one by one. It's the karma of early adopters :(
But I think featurewise the synth development is frozen now.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”