Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Timfonie wrote:Of course I did uncheck it. The file I downloaded named "Joel Bisson's 2DaT OBXD Synthesizer" is blocked and quarantined by my AV scanner. I have to shut down real time protection if I want to run it.
The file was no problem for my AV (i got Kasperky Internet Security 2014) so it could be a false positive.
Additionally i just scanned the downloaded folder and my PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro without any Malware detected.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:
I agree, I don't want my patches to be changed in any way. If they are too loud, users can reduce the volume themselves, if they are not loud enough, they can increase the volume, and if they have a weak computer, they can reduce the number of voices as they see fit.
In that case you should never particpate ina commercial soundbank or do factory sounds.

There usually first your patches are sorted out (for example 13 of my 25 submitted patches were used for the latest Nemesis bank) and usually there are also guidelines for setting volumes and for saving CPU where possible. There were also cases when the volumes and sometimes even patch names were optimized by developers.
At Waldorf there are more guidelines like e.g. there should be Modwheel and aftertouch modulation used.

Besides that optimizing the volumes is a non-destructive process which does not change the patch itself. Some patches in tzhe collection were so loud that they were almost unusable at that state. The only other fixes i did with some patches is to correct issues due to patches being created with older versions of OBXD (while using the patch in the older version as reference). Of course those fixes were not necessary for all patches as for the majority they were corrected by the sound designers themselves.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
I agree, I don't want my patches to be changed in any way. If they are too loud, users can reduce the volume themselves, if they are not loud enough, they can increase the volume, and if they have a weak computer, they can reduce the number of voices as they see fit.
In that case you should never particpate ina commercial soundbank or do factory sounds.

There usually first your patches are sorted out (for example 13 of my 25 submitted patches were used for the latest Nemesis bank) and usually there are also guidelines for setting volumes and for saving CPU where possible. There were also cases when the volumes and sometimes even patch names were optimized by developers.
At Waldorf there are more guidelines like e.g. there should be Modwheel and aftertouch modulation used.

Besides that optimizing the volumes is a non-destructive process which does not change the patch itself. Some patches in tzhe collection were so loud that they were almost unusable at that state.

Ingo

Well, I'm not you. I only do this whole synth crap for fun. I've never tried to do commercial sound banks or factory presets. I would not give away patches that I really like and use myself, neither for free, nor for money.
Nor do I care about guidelines, to me the only thing that matters is what I want.

Well, I'm not you. I only do this whole synth crap for fun. I've never tried to do commercial sound banks or factory presets. I would not give away patches that I really like and use myself, neither for free, nor for money.
Nor do I care about guidelines, to me the only thing that matters is what I want.
Did i ever say i am not having fun while doing patches? To be honest i had some problems regarding the last soundset for Nemesis as there were some restrictions about which features should be used etc. which usually is not my style. Anyway it was an interesting challenge.

Anyway concerning OBXD patches i don't talk about rewriting complete patches but at least having a volume that does not burst your speakers is not a thing that is uncommon (talking generaly, not specifically about your patches).
Even reducing voices would not be big problem as long as it does not destroy the original intention of a certain patch.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Did i ever say i am not having fun while doing patches? To be honest i had some problems regarding the last soundset for Nemesis as there were some restrictions about which features should be used etc. which usually is not my style. Anyway it was an interesting challenge.

Anyway concerning OBXD patches i don't talk about rewriting complete patches but at least having a volume that does not burst your speakers is not a thing that is uncommon (talking generaly, not specifically about your patches).
Even reducing voices would not be big problem as long as it does not destroy the original intention of a certain patch.

Ingo
Yes, you may change the volume of my patches, i.e. only change the main Volume parameter, not parameters in the mixer section etc.

I don't think you should change the voice setting as it would mean that you interpret the intention of how a patch is to be used. I may want to use a lead or bass patch as a poly chord as well if I feel like it. Often for instance synth bass patches also sound nice as chords two octaves higher, and vice versa synth brass patches often make good synth bass patches.

I don't know if you have fun programming patches, you are very different from me judging from what I know about you. I sure would not have fun if I had to do it as a job, with deadlines, guidelines, etc.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, you may change the volume of my patches, i.e. only change the main Volume parameter, not parameters in the mixer section etc.
I'm confident that adjusting the master volume is all that was ever being proposed. No one was talking about adjusting levels in the mixer or anything. As Ingo stated, it sucks when all the patches are relatively quiet, and you unexpectedly stumble across a loud patch.

When it comes to voice-count though, I'd leave that unchanged. There are times when I was intentionally using more voices than needed (for instance, sometimes I may want to play a bass polyphonically), and it's not a big deal for users to adjust according to their CPU needs. Best to let the patch designers set the voice count, and let the users adjust.

Thanks fluffy_little_something for sharing, and thanks to Ingo for having the patience to go through all these patches/banks to adjust the levels.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I don't think you should change the voice setting as it would mean that you interpret the intention of how a patch is to be used. I may want to use a lead or bass patch as a poly chord as well if I feel like it. Often for instance synth bass patches also sound nice as chords two octaves higher, and vice versa synth brass patches often make good synth bass patches.

I don't know if you have fun programming patches, you are very different from me judging from what I know about you. I sure would not have fun if I had to do it as a job, with deadlines, guidelines, etc.
Hey guys, please let's not turn into each other about this. Ingo is doing a great and necessary job, and is doing it voluntarily and for free.

And I think he always got our point, and it always respected other people's work, AFAIK. So, let's keep things going. :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Hey guys, please let's not tunr into each other about this. Ingo is doing a great and necessary job, and is doing it voluntarily and for free.
It's amazing how much flack Ingo has taken for trying to put a patch bank together. I'm thinking of Krim's constructive appearances in this thread in particular. Frankly, if Ingo wants to organize patches, and people want to contribute early, knowing there's a chance they may need to adjust their patches, then more power to them! No need to get all Lord of the Flies about this stuff.

Thanks for the nice comments. Another thing not mentioned in my earlier posts at this page is that the ZIP file with the collection also includes folders for each sound designer and those always contain a version of the patches like originally submitted. Sometimes in sub-folders called "Old" (when older versions of banks exist) or "Original".

For me the most important to craeate the bank files (including the category sorted ones) is having the single files as only based on those i could re-sort them in banks. Thsi is why in cases the patches were submitted as a *.FXB file i always create a sub-folder called "Single patches" with the *.fxp files (Tobybear MiniHost could export the single fies automatically, at least those which are selected/marked in the bank).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Flack? I didn't see any flack regarding patches in this thread.
Some people, like me, are simply utter individualists and hence not big fans of anything that smacks off teamwork...

I still don't quite get why we don't just wait for 2dat to put up his product page once his synth is really finished, and then upload our patches there in our own names, retaining full control over them, no need for subfolders, categories etc.

Ingo would also save a lot of time, which he could use for making paid patches for other synths ;)

Ingo, thanks for all your hard work (it must be a real PITA at at times!). Changing volume is fine for the compendium as that makes it a much gentler experience to the ears; @patch designers, overloading the output of the Obxd can cause clipping in some hosts and shouldn't factor into your sound design. ;)

But I agree that messing with the # of voices isn't a good idea; there are too many dependencies with some sounds and it could likely alter the sound in some way that isn't immediately apparent. I'm firmly in the "not messing with the patch" camp on this one; let the patches be what they're supposed to be and let the user adjust them for their CPU and uses. ("Yeah sorry there, Leonardo! We had to chop off part of the Mona Lisa otherwise the painting wouldn't fit in the display case..." :hihi:)
Last edited by Breeze on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syntheticillusion wrote:...i wish is sounded like the first preset when loading sem v, which is a brass preset that i tried to emulate but failed, anyway here is 50 presets by joel bisson, me.
Hi Joel! Haven't had a chance to listen to your patches yet, but I'm really intrigued by this! Would you mind posting a short sample of this sound with a few notes in different ranges? Thanks!

By the way, maybe we should look at integrating the Obxd into Big Tick's Zen. That way the repository would be public and easily updatable for everyone. Using freeware to manage freeware; what a concept! ;)

Breeze wrote:
syntheticillusion wrote:...i wish is sounded like the first preset when loading sem v, which is a brass preset that i tried to emulate but failed, anyway here is 50 presets by joel bisson, me.
Hi Joel! Haven't had a chance to listen to your patches yet, but I'm really intrigued by this! Would you mind posting a short sample of this sound with a few notes in different ranges? Thanks!
I have it, and I think it may not be that hard to duplicate it. I'll try later. But keep in mind that SEM V has a matrix modulation and effects. If these were called to the task, then it may not be possible.
Fernando (FMR)

I don't have the SEM V, so I don't know what the default patch sounds like. Could you record a few notes and chords so we know what you are trying to emulate?

The OBXD is not really an emulation of the SEM module, and Arturia's emulation has many features that go beyond the SEM module. So it might simply be impossible to recreate SEM V patches on the OBXD...

Return to “Instruments”